Flat 4-4-2

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success using a flat 4-4-2 formation? I keep trying it with several teams but the game doesn't seem to like it at all.

Anyone else use it? What were your experiences?

It's my main formation. I use it with Fluid / Attacking tempo. I don't change anything with Defence. I use two wingers (ATT) one Box-2-Box (Support) and one Ball-Winning (Def). Then up front i have a Target Man (Support) and Poacher (Att).

This formation was a winner on FM2010 (Got Bath to Prem in under 10 Seasons) and i'm currently top of League 2 with Chez on my first season on FM2011 with it.

a little tip for FM2011. Put your squad on intensive training on Match Preparation in Pre season. This will make sure your team learn your formation in the fastest possible time. Once competent, you can knock it down to average or even light. :-)

I used this for 5 seasons as Sunderland and got them playing Champion's League football and won the Premiership twice. It's perfectly workable providing you have strikers with good anticipation and movement and your wingers are the KEY. Blistering pace on both sides and you'll do just fine.

I'm possibly not getting the roles right then!

My last attempt was with Mansfield Town. Two wingers (support), one central mid (auto) another central mid (attack) and the strikers were deep lying forward and advanced forward.

I'm possibly not getting the roles right then!

My last attempt was with Mansfield Town. Two wingers (support), one central mid (auto) another central mid (attack) and the strikers were deep lying forward and advanced forward.

Your problem there is that your managing Mansfield! :mad: (Sorry i'm a Chesterfield fan, they are our main rivals :))

There is your problem right there. Your two wingers need to be fast attack with your CM/DM supporting and doing the dirty work. Get down the flanks lightening fast and in behind the opposition to put some balls in. Then your CM/DM are hovering between the center circle and penalty area to feed it back out wide if the opposition clears.

Your problem there is that your managing Mansfield! :mad: (Sorry i'm a Chesterfield fan, they are our main rivals :))

I know mate. I'm a Mansfield living Forest fan ;) I've had family who have played for Chesterfield too so well aware of the rivalry ;)

There is your problem right there. Your two wingers need to be fast attack with your CM/DM supporting and doing the dirty work. Get down the flanks lightening fast and in behind the opposition to put some balls in. Then your CM/DM are hovering between the center circle and penalty area to feed it back out wide if the opposition clears.

Cheers mate.

I am totally clueless when it comes to assigning roles. What would you recommend the other central midfielder be if one is in a support role?

I've never understood 'automatic' to be honest...

When I played I had one CM as a deep-lying playmaker (good passing, creativity) and one DM as ball-winning midfielder (tackling, work-rate, determination). I could do that because I demanded to my board: "Fetch me the wonderkid, Paulo Henrique" to be my engine. Your guys might have different qualities that necessitate more hustle in the middle. Maybe two DM.

It's my main formation with my Wrexham team and we do fine with it. Scoring more than enough goals and looking very dangerous in attack.

I play one DC covering and the other default. In the middle of the park I have a ball-winning CM coupled with a box-to-box CM. Wingers are given free reign to get forward and pile the crosses in.

Currently have a nice young forward on loan from Liverpool, but that is due to end (non-renewable) soon. Not sure how we'll fair when he's gone because he's a tricky player.

I suggest you use a deep lying playmaker(good passing,creativity) set to support and a central midfielder set to defend(good positioning,tacking) in the middle...

Upfront a poacher(good composure,finishing) and a deep lying forward set to support(quick,technique,creativity,dribbling,flair)...

I used a flat 4-4-2 to take Luton to the Champions League in under a decade.

I also recently switched my (2022) Arsenal side from a 1-2-2-2-1-2 (sweeper, 2 CBs, WBs, 2 CMs, an AM and 2 STs) to a flat 4-4-2, and since the switch they have gone from being great to being untouchable.

Its all down to the players you have.

always have a prefered starting 11 and take you time to go through each player on the tactics screen/player roles to see what they would be best suited as.

for example if you best mc has good marking, tackling, positioning, teamwork and work rate use him as a ball winning mid. if he is good in these areas but is also good with passing, creativity and maybe decisions you could use him as cm defend/support.

thats just an example. make you tactic fit your players. for example if you need to sub a player dont swap him for a player and keep the same player roles if the player is better suited to play a different way.

Archived