what age are you, and when do u think its the right age to quit this game for good

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56. Still going strong. Why should you quit due to age?

+1, though I'm no he-ancient like kerching (just teasin ya! :D) I can't imagine not playing- At 41, I have nearly a decade into CM/FM and am still going strong with it. I guess I'll eventually quit when I get so old I can't see the screen any longer!

I stopped playing on the day of my 26th birthday. That's it. Time to stop being silly and playing games and work some overtime at the office to make sure the Johnson accounts are completed ahead of schedule. This year because of my lack of FM I'm on course to get the promotion I wanted and myself and the wife have been going to many more dinner parties.

Says the guy with two infractions ;)

I'm 19, but this isn't the sort of game which has an age limit on. Would be a bit weird to hear 40 year olds talking about CoD or Uncharted etc, but Fm is the sort of game which is easy to enjoy if you like football, regardless of age.

I'm 19, but this isn't the sort of game which has an age limit on. Would be a bit weird to hear 40 year olds talking about CoD or Uncharted etc, but Fm is the sort of game which is easy to enjoy if you like football, regardless of age.

I know 40 somethings that play CoD and the like...

and I'm a 40 something that only plays FM :)

Having played it since the CM2 days, and having left all the other games that I once played by the wayside, I guess that FM has that killer appeal that means that I'll never stop playing it whilst ever I own a PC.

25. I'll probably start playing much less of it over the next 6mths, because i have devoted waaaaay too much time to it since release and i have a life that i have neglected :D

But quitting? I'll probably give FM2012 a go, taking Spurs back into the champions league(over a Fabregas-less Arsenal most likely), and then call time on my management career. Problem is there are so many fantastic teams to manage, can't have 'em all!

Since the world ended the other day I've not played much.

I somehow have missed that world ending part of yesterday. ^^

On topic I'm 30 and well I grew up with computer games pretty much since I was 12 or 13 so I guess computer games will always be a part of my life and sure my kids will come with some virtual 3D reality stuff in the future and laugh about me still playing the old fashioned way with mouse and keyboard but I guess as long as my spare time allows me to I will play computer games and especially the FM series since it actually doesn't matter if you get slower in reactions over time for this game since you can play it at your own pace.

being older means that you can choose to do whatever you want. So I won't play when there's something important to do, and I'll play when I feel like it.

I'll be playing for a few more years yet. Until the virtual reality football games come out.

I stopped playing on the day of my 26th birthday. That's it. Time to stop being silly and playing games and work some overtime at the office to make sure the Johnson accounts are completed ahead of schedule. This year because of my lack of FM I'm on course to get the promotion I wanted and myself and the wife have been going to many more dinner parties.

Yet you're still posting on the forum?

Are you taking the **** or is there a Football Managers anonymous group on here?

I am 56, still play computer games (mostly FM), read comics and watch cartoons.

It is not hurting anybody so I do not worry about it and neither should you worry about what age to stop playing FM.

You will either get bored and stop (or maybe not play as often) or just continue as it hurts no one.

What ever you decide, have fun.

19 and don't see myself ever quitting...tbh I kind of wish I never found out about the game because I spend stupid amounts of time on it instead of doing something more productive..or something thats actually productive at all

I somehow have missed that world ending part of yesterday. ^^

On topic I'm 30 and well I grew up with computer games pretty much since I was 12 or 13 so I guess computer games will always be a part of my life and sure my kids will come with some virtual 3D reality stuff in the future and laugh about me still playing the old fashioned way with mouse and keyboard but I guess as long as my spare time allows me to I will play computer games and especially the FM series since it actually doesn't matter if you get slower in reactions over time for this game since you can play it at your own pace.

So you're not a Birmingham or Blackpool fan then? :p

What's wrong with oldies playing CoD?

I think it's stranger to play FM as a 12 year old than a 40 year old, because real football managers tend to be 40 or over.

As long as you enjoy football, this game will always stay close to your interests. It's what makes this game special, there'll always be FMers, if anything the number will grow from youngsters reaching the age where they play games like this and the older people will still play it as time goes on.

I've played the CM/FM series since 1995. I'm only 24 now and I can see myself playing for a hell of a lot longer.

You mean more work and responsibility coupled with dull parties?

I'll stick with FM, thanks.

Work promotion leads to heart attacks. FM promotion leads to happy memories.

I wonder how many years I've been playing CM/FM? Let's see, my first version was CM2, which apparently came out in 1995. I've bought every version since without exception and played on each one. I've only had intermittent breaks from the game and they have usually lasted for a few months. So that's 16 years of my life playing this series of games!

I don't think I've been dedicated to anything as long as that. Maybe I've been dedicated to supporting the England national team longer than that (I've wanted England to win something for as long as I can remember) but other than that, nothing in my life has lasted so long. My tastes in books and music has changed, even my tastes in football clubs, but I still love playing football manager games.

Even when everything else in my life has changed, I've still bought another CM or FM, fired it up, and played! TBH, I'm not even a video games person. I had a Mega Drive when I was a kid and that's about it and I mainly used that to play Sensible Soccer. :D

I'm 28 now and sometimes I do worry about the amount of time I play on FM but then other people have really crappy hobbies like watching reality TV programmes! Football Manager is my guilty pleasure and we all need at least one guilty pleasure in our lives, don't we?

The only thing that will make me stop playing the series is if I just fall out of love with the game itself but I suspect, even then, that I would still casually play some form of FM (possibly just stick with an old version). The desire to imagine what it might be like to manage a football club will never leave me. I absolutely love narrative (I'm a bit of a book worm) and FM always provides a compelling narrative in so many different ways! At its best, FM has the feeling of being a 'page turner' and that's why I love it so much.

Archived