How many languages can your team speak?

After looking at my squad and realising that despite playing in Hungary, we lack even one Hungarian Player with a professional contract I started wonder firstly how much of my squad could speak Hungarian, and secondly how many languages all together they could speak.

Excluding me and my backroom staff from the statistics and following the notation: 'Language Name' - 'Speakers' (Basic Speakers) my squad can speak the following languages:

Hungarian - 23 (10)

Dutch - 4

French - 17

Arabic - 7 (3)

Spanish - 6

German - 3 (2)

English - 13 (2)

Swahili - 2

Portuguese - 2

Zulu - 1

Kiryarwanda - 1

Croatian - 1 (1)

Slovenian - 0 (2)

Bosnian - 0 (2)

Serbian - 1 (1)

Russian - 1

Shona - 1

Ndebele - 0 (1)

Italian - 1

Somali - 1

Bulgarian - 1

Macedonian - 0 (1)

That's 18 languages or 22 with basic languages. That's a total of I have 50 players on professional deals, most of which are from Africa (~50-60%) which the rest coming from mainly France, the Netherlands and Eastern Europe with only about 5 from South America. The top ones were Hungarian (from playing in Hungary), French and English (from Africa) with Arabic (again from Africa) as the next biggest. The total number was 86 or 111 with basic languages and as such we have that:

- 46% of my squad can speak Hungarian, with 66% being able to speak it in some capacity

- The squad as a whole can speak 18 different languages or 22 vaguely

- On average my players can speak 1.72 languages each or 2.22 vaguely

- I should be finding better things to do with my time that counting the number of languages my squad speaks

So, what's everyone else's squads like?

39 players on professional contracts, with Bath City in the Premier League in 2041:

English - 28 (2)

French - 7

German - 6

Dutch - 5

Spanish - 5

Portuguese - 4

Turkish - 3 (1)

Italian - 3

Czech - 2

Greek - 2

Russian - 2

Norwegian - 1

Romanian - 1

Swedish - 1

Danish - 0 (1)

Slovak - 0 (1)

The number of fluent English speakers is surprising: I only have 9 players from the British Isles in the squad.

In my Llanelli save:

29 on professional contracts:

English 26

Arabic 2 (1)

Somali 1

Italian 2 (1)

Kirundi 1

Welsh 0 (1)

French 4 (1)

Dutch 1

Spanish 1

Swahili 2

German 1

And I have 13 foreigners, out of which 11 non-native English speakers. English is learned quite rapidly.

- 46% of my squad can speak Hungarian, with 66% being able to speak it in some capacity

That is so incredibly poor. How do they even nearly communicate with each other? :D

I'm wayy too lazy to bother with everyone on pro deals, so I've just checked the first team. I think my reserves are all English born and bred anyway.

I have 26 players; 18 are English, 2 are Argentinian, plus one player from each of the USA, Nigeria, Togo, France, Denmark and Brazil.

25 speak fluent English. The only player who can't is a recently signed 17 year old French kid.

3 speak fluent French

2 speak fluent Greek, and 2 speak fluent Spanish

I have one fluent representative of Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, German and Danish. I have a single basic speaker for each of Polish, Swedish, German, Italian and Spanish.

The top linguists are the Dane (Eng, Ger, Dan, Gre fluent; Swe, Nor basic) and the American (Eng, Fra, Gre, Swe fluent). None of my English players speak a second language fluently.

My spurs team has 39 players on pro contracts:

English - 29 (2)

Portuguese - 9

Italian - 9

French - 6

Spanish - 4

German - 4

Croatian - 2

Slovenian - 2

Bosnian - 2

Serbian - 2

Dutch - 2 (1)

Armenian - 1

Of these only 8 are English, I have the same amount of Brazilians on the books. :o

More importantly how bigger effect does this have. Is my team suffering as I have more brazilians than Brits.

It doesn't matter when it comes to tutoring thats for certain. I had Dawson tutor a Brazilian regen who couldn't speak English and he still gained a huge amount which I found odd but good. Not sure if it matters during game, I would imagine not because Neymar refuses to learn English after 4 years in the country yet still works wonders on the pitch and the rest of the team love him.

This is just my goalkeepers. I'd fill in the rest, but I've over 100 players throughout the squad so it would take ages. Out of 11 goalkeepers across senior and youth teams, ten different languages are spoken to some degree - but nine out of eleven speak Hungarian fluently and one speaks it to a basic level. The other's an 18 year old Moroccan I've recently signed, and who is still playing youth football at this point.

Arabic - 1 - 1

Bosnian - 0 - 1

Croatian - 1 - 0

Czech - 1 - 0

French - 2 - 1

German - 1 - 0

Hungarian - 9 - 1

Romanian - 0 - 1

Serbian - 0 - 1

Slovenian - 0 - 1

Not too much of a mix in my Valur Reykjavik team. All but a few foreign players speak fluent Icelandic, and the one that doesn't speak any yet is a very new signings.

23 speak Icelandic

16 speak English fluently (whether this is because I am English and so they have learnt to speak their manager's tongue or whether English is well spoken in Iceland)

3 speak Danish fluently (seems to be common for players to know some Danish)

1 speaker each of Hungarian, Faroese, Swedish and Greek (doesn't speak Icelandic)

When it comes to basic understanding it is mostly Danish and English. All but a few of my Icelanders speak some Danish.

11 speak some Danish

9 speak some English

2 speak basic Icelandic (an Irish player and the Hungarian)

1 speaks basic Swedish

There are only 2 foreigners in my reserves/youth, both Faroese, and they speak fluent Icelandic. Otherwise it's pretty similar to my first teamers. It would seem that everyone at Valur can speak either some Icelandic or English to enable them to converse with someone, and me.

I speak English and Icelandic (not in the real world...I have trouble pronouncing the team names!)

Seems quite realistic to me. I'd expect Icelandic people to have some knowledge of Danish as it's a former Danish colony and there must be a use of it in everyday life. For Faroe Islanders I'd expect the same as it is an official part of Denmark.

Do you even realise how much of a chore asking something like this is?

In my first-team squad I have 30 players, 1 is out on loan elsewhere, 1 is on loan from Blackburn and 2 are trialists. Between them they can speak the following languages:

English: 29 fluent - 1 basic

French: 7 fluent - 1 basic

German: 3 fluent

Dutch: 3 fluent

Italian: 3 fluent

Spanish: 1 fluent - 1 basic

Polish: 1 fluent

Norwegian: 1 fluent

Arabic: 1 fluent

Welsh: 1 basic

8 players can speak 2 languages in some capacity

4 players can speak 3 languages in some capacity

1 player is fluent in 4 languages

1 players is fluent in 5 languages

KFK, Icelandic Premier, 2029

First team squad of 38 players with 6 of those on loan.

Icelandic 29 (6)

Spanish 18 (1)

Portuguese 10

English 4 (2)

French 3 (1)

Croatian 2 (1)

Polish 2 (1)

Serbian 1 (2)

German 2

Russian 2

Italian 2

Greek 2

Slovenian (3)

Bosnian (3)

Dutch 1 (1)

Georgian (1)

Turkish 1 (1)

Swedish 1 (1)

Zulu 1

Hungarian 1

Norwegian 1

Guarani 1

Danish (1)

35 who can speak Icelandic to some degree is impressive, this is probably helped by others in the club being able to speak there mother tongue :)

And yes I do have a lot of South Americans

Currently managing Koln, only including players to have played for my first team. That's 33 players in total.

German - 28 (2)

Italian - 7 (1)

English - 6 (2)

Portuguese - 6 (1)

Spanish - 6

French - 4

Korean - 4

Dutch - 2

Bosnian - 1 (1)

Slovenian - 1

Ukranian - 1

Croatian - (1)

Arabic - (1)

Greek - (1)

I also speak fluent English, Dutch, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish (in the game, not IRL..). In my regular first team, I actually have more Koreans than any other nationality, including Germans!

well mine is this

English - 20

French - 7

Spanish - 6 (1)

Portugese - 5

Italian - 4

German - 3 (2)

Bosnian - 3

Croatian - 2

Czech - 2

Romanian - 1

Russian - 1

Danish - 1

Turkish - 1

Slovak - 1

Bulgarian - 1

Slovenian - 1

Swedish - 0 (1)

Norweigen - 0 (1)

Serbian - 0 (1)

Slovenian - 0 (1)

Greek - 0 (1)

Ukrainian 0 (1)

Romanian - 0 (1)

my 27 man squad 20 of them speak english

Currently managing Koln, only including players to have played for my first team. That's 33 players in total.

Snip

I also speak fluent English, Dutch, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish (in the game, not IRL..). In my regular first team, I actually have more Koreans than any other nationality, including Germans!

Ah, a bit of rivalry here then, with my Leverkusen team. I'm attempting to sign more German players, as well as buy a minimal amount of youth players, to let my German youngster take part in the first team. I'm interested in why you have so many Koreans though? Are they good and cheap or something? Personally, apart from Germany, no other nation has more than 2 representatives currently in my first team squad, and if we include youth team I add an extra two Germans and another Argentinian. So, every first team appearance it goes:

German 21 (1)

English 11 (1)

Spanish 9 (1)

French 3 (2)

Portuguese 3

Dutch 2 (1)

Arabic 1 (2)

Croatian 2

Turkish 1

Romanian 1

Bosnian 1 (1)

Slovenian 1 (1)

Serbian 1 (1)

Italian 0 (1)

German Speakers: 22 out of 29. Rather disappointing in all honesty. Especially when I consider my large German emphasis. Neves especially annoys me. 1.5 years in Saudi Arabia and he starts learning Arabic, 4 so far in Germany, not even an attempt.

Impressed with our English speaking ability, considering just two Englishmen.

I have a Korean feeder club, and they've actually produced 2 pretty amazing players, and I found the other at another club. My two strikers average a goal every 2 games each, and are worth £11.75m and £16m. My star midfielder has averaged 7.5 or higher for the last 2 seasons and is worth £21m. All 3 only cost me £3.1m combined.

The 4th is just a decent reliable defensive midfielder, captains the national side but is more of a backup for me.

^Speaking about Koreans :p. I have signed Suk in my second season (at Cardiff), but he only speaks Korean and not English. Now halfway through the season (still 2nd) I've signed a Dutch player that speaks Dutch, English and Korean. Will Suk benefit from him, making him learn English faster? Should I let my Dutch player tutor him (if/when I can)?

More (a bit) OT: Will my players learn Welsh? It would be great if they can use it on the field so that other team's player won't know what they're saying...

Archived