National team management

After recently finishing my first foray into club management I thought I would have a try at managing a national side so I have gone for Holland. However I find it incredibly tedious and boring.

Nothing against the game itself, in fact that side of it is very well organised, realistic and professional. I just find it difficult going months without playing any games, deleting posts in my inbox that have built up as I 'holiday' my way through the game - and then having to go through my pool of players and pick a suitable squad -many of whom I know nothing about in real life- and then play a couple of matches and wait a few month for the next game!

As much as I enjoy the club management side of things I can safely say international management is not for me!!

How do other people 'approach' international management??

I could never, ever be an international manager without being a club manager. By itself, as you experienced, it is horribly dull.

The only time I have ever played a sole international manager is between club jobs and that was bad enough for 2 months.

I suppose that if you want to do it the proper way, you should spend the time in-between to see games from players that could potentially be selected. I still think it's dull though, but that is what real life national team managers do between games.

• 2 years later...

i use xml file that hides attributes and ca/pa stars, then go to watch my players. makes it infinitely more realistic.

i mean, why would you go to watch someone if you know he would perform well based on just his attributes.

it also improves squad selection as you need to check their form, stats and make a decision.

Archived