Feeding off scraps

This topic has probably been covered before but I can't find it anywhere in the forums. It relates to possession and the fact that my Liverpool side are constantly feeding off scraps of it. Look it hasn't been a problem as I've won back to back league titles and an FA Cup, but it's pretty irritating given the fact that I've tried to set up my tactics specifically to dominate possession.

I play 4-2-3-1 (all 3 AM's, no wingers) with passing through the middle, a very slow tempo and very short passing. At the end of my most recent season I've started losing games I normally win, so I'd like to sort this out before next season. Does anyone have any advice on how to dominate possession - I'm pretty sure the shots and goals will follow on from that given my players.

you may try to increase both tempo and passing (to more direct). Slow tempo may make the players keep the ball for too long, and passing is simply the passing range - if it is too short, your players may struggle to find an unmarked teammate to pass to if there are none within a few meter's diameter.

Thanks BiggusD. Maybe I'll try short passing at a quicker tempo, although I've always read that tempo and passing style go hand-in-hand and should be at similar levels. My tactic is also set to quite attacking so maybe the players are trying to get the ball forward too quickly - Barca style, but that can't be translated into an FM tactic. I mean in the CL semi v Madrid, Xavi has 123 passes by himself. I've seldom seen players in FM with more than 60 passes.

Archived