Rangers Vs Celtic Finances

Firstly, I was wondering if anyone has managed Rangers and had them been financially successful, i.e. making a substantial profit before transfer fees.

I am into my third season and we aren't making any money even though I haven't once spent my transfer budget and have only signed one expensive player (4million on a 17 year old wonder-kid) all the rest have been free bees or non-significant. We have made it to the quarter final of the champions league the last two seasons (on a side-note how is tv revenue dealt out in the champ. league? I get the same amount from when I got to the first knockout round to when I get to the quarter final, i know it's only one more round but I should get more, surely?) The main thing that annoys me though is the fact that Celtic are spending around £10million a season :/ even though they've never made it past the group stages!!

Any help would be most appreciated!

Also, I have a commercial feeder for the past season which has had no effect on my merchandising income at all :/

Firstly, I was wondering if anyone has managed Rangers and had them been financially successful, i.e. making a substantial profit before transfer fees.

I am into my third season and we aren't making any money even though I haven't once spent my transfer budget and have only signed one expensive player (4million on a 17 year old wonder-kid) all the rest have been free bees or non-significant. We have made it to the quarter final of the champions league the last two seasons (on a side-note how is tv revenue dealt out in the champ. league? I get the same amount from when I got to the first knockout round to when I get to the quarter final, i know it's only one more round but I should get more, surely?) The main thing that annoys me though is the fact that Celtic are spending around £10million a season :/ even though they've never made it past the group stages!!

Any help would be most appreciated!

Also, I have a commercial feeder for the past season which has had no effect on my merchandising income at all :/

What is your wage budget? This could really be hampering your side.

Exactly where does that money go, it makes it impossible for you to succeed with a team like Rangers and there are many other clubs too.

It's like saying Braga won't have more money next season after getting to the Europa league final, of course they will so then they will strengthen their team and continue to get stronger if they keep doing good things in their own league and in Europe.

Exactly where does that money go, it makes it impossible for you to succeed with a team like Rangers and there are many other clubs too.

It's like saying Braga won't have more money next season after getting to the Europa league final, of course they will so then they will strengthen their team and continue to get stronger if they keep doing good things in their own league and in Europe.

The money goes on the HUGE wage bill Rangers have compared to the tiny amount of TV and prize money they take it. Its very possible to be succesful at the top level without having to pay the wages they do in FM, i have done it with Aberdeen, now in the top 10 in Europe, stadium is less than half of Ibrox, but my wage bill is under control. In real life they have been in huge financial problems because of overspending.

I'm currently second season with Rangers, no takeover and didn't get through the Champions League group stage last year but won league, league cup and scottish cup and I'm comfortable money wise. £15 million in the bank at current. Only spent £2.5 mil on transfers and gone mainly for loans as well as shipping out expensive wages like Beattie but only received 300k in transfers. Just be sensible, look for loans and frees and keep wages and agent fees down and you should be fine. Success always helps too.

Having just finished my 4th season, a lot like the others, though this season I didn't make it to the quarter finals and didnt win the scottish cup resulting in £6million less in revenue. My back balance is essentially zero after everythings gone in and out. My wage budget is currently 34.2% of revenue which I think is an OK percentage in todays world, isn't it? Loan repayments are just £2.5mil so they're not really putting me out.

I almost exclusively use free transfers to build my squad. Which is hard as rangers still have a national reputation :( I am the 19th best team in europe, moving up to the top 10ish next season if I continue as I have done, surely that warrants a continental rep?

My wage budget has doubled since I arrived but in total we have an income from transfer activity so that is where that money has come from.

What is the best way to get a commercial feeder to work? We have one but the rise has been very modest in income :((

Again, any advice on any of these is much appreciated!!

• 5 months later...

The entire HMRC debt is around £4.9m (back tax and fines) as it stands, if the 3rd tribunal into EBT's finds Rangers acted wrongly then the bill could be £49m. Rangers operating debt of £18m is held personally by Craig Whyte. At the start of the game SI correctly (almost) reflect this by listing Rangers debt as £4m.

Ask yourself, if two tribunals did not find against Rangers what do you imagine is the magical new evidence to be produced 3rd time round?

Hoping that Rangers go under is pretty weak really, almost all of the Celtic fans i know dont want it to happen as much they relish taunting us over it, a one horse race is boring as hell, and the only worthy spectacle in the SPL (as far as Sky are concerned) which is the Old Firm game would lose real value pretty quickly, killing outside interest in Scottish Football and bringing Celtic down a few pegs also.

Be careful what you wish for.

Archived