Which 'main' version is the most definitive

Which core version is the most definitive?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which core version is the most definitive?

• CM1
    • CM2
    • CM3
    • CM4
    • FM09 (most likely to have been CM5 if SI kept the name?)

We have over the years played over a dozen management games by the company now called Sports Interactive. Which of the 'core' versions do you think is the most remembered and best sums the series up?

For me, it's CM2. Perfect balance of simplicity and realism. :)

He means which one is best from purchasing the game...without the need for patches.

Since champ became FM they've all needed their patches to get it right, so older champ games have an advantage here.

Still worth seeing what people think though.

I don't get the 'most likely to have been C5 if SI kept the name?' It should be then FM5 right?

Voted for CM3 (I hope you you meant on CM 03/04 there) as I didn't play any other CM version.

Let's grade this thread:

- Explination: None

- Definition of terms: None

- A poll with all options: No

- An other option with room for discussion: No

0%

Please see me after class Lenzar, we need to discuss with your parents your chances of passing the grade.

Championship Manager would have games that gradually improved, and then a big step up. For example, CM3 was CM3, CM00-01 and CM01-02, CM4 was CM4 and CM 03-04. The OP has also "guessed" that FM09 was supposed to be the big step up in the FM series, with FM05-07 being parts of CM4, effectively.

Championship Manager would have games that gradually improved, and then a big step up. For example, CM3 was CM3, CM00-01 and CM01-02, CM4 was CM4 and CM 03-04. The OP has also "guessed" that FM09 was supposed to be the big step up in the FM series, with FM05-07 being parts of CM4, effectively.

Is there now Google Translate for jibberish?

I stand by my conclusion of Terrible Thread and Poll.

You probably should have been able to work it out from looking at the poll options.

It wasn't that I didn't know what he was trying to get at, but rather he didn't express it himself. Where I come from that's called being unclear and not a desirable way of demonstrating your ideas.

Let's grade this thread:

- Explination: None

- Definition of terms: None

- A poll with all options: No

- An other option with room for discussion: No

0%

Please see me after class Lenzar, we need to discuss with your parents your chances of passing the grade.

Arguably the least amusing post I've read on these forums. And if we're being as pedantic as you it is "Explanation" :rolleyes:

Arguably the least amusing post I've read on these forums. And if we're being as pedantic as you it is "Explanation" :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind if he wrote dozen are doozun, the issue is not the spelling but the lack of clarity. It's actually getting silly at times around here. It seems like some new fad. Who can make the least sense in their posts and the like!

I wouldn't mind if he wrote dozen are doozun, the issue is not the spelling but the lack of clarity. It's actually getting silly at times around here. It seems like some new fad. Who can make the least sense in their posts and the like!

Fine and yes, I'd agree with you. However posts like the one I quoted of yours will only bring the forum further down. No need for such contemptuous posts. You just end up looking like the fool.

Yes, this exactly. I consider FM09 to be what would have been CM5 due to the 3d engine, mostly. Of course without the split things may have been quicker, meaning 'CM5' came out earlier, but who knows?

I'm confused by those who are confused...

the thread seems pretty self-explanatory to me.

I'll have to go with CM3... that was probably the "main" version with enough depth to keep us hooked, but without being the part-time job FMs have become over the last years.. (part-time if you play it sloppily... otherwise it's a full-time job with overtime and no holidays)

Granted, I'd struggle to revert to CM3 after years of graphic ME (actually I wouldn't even play in 2D now), but taking each game for what it was in its time, CM3 still wins in my book.

It was as addictive as the current incarnations without being so volatile, frustrating and demanding...

I'm confused by those who are confused...

the thread seems pretty self-explanatory to me.

Well its anything but clear tbh.

The way CM was made it was in one long code. Through the annual releases this "core" code would be adjusted and refined so releases such as 00-01, 01-02 were simply updated versions of the CM3 base code. Every so often SI started from scratch and re wrote the whole code to provide a new core - CM2, CM3, CM4.

Since it turned into FM this doesn't happen anymore - FM is split into modules that can be unplugged, rewritten and then plugged back in. The core code doesn't exist anymore as its now a series of modules that are linked together and interact with each other.

Archived