im losing intrest in the game

sadly im losing intrest in football manager reason for this well there is a few reasons. im finding it hard to do anything with any team now is it cos im no good at the game maybe. but im losing intrest in the game because there is so much to do on it. ive played football manager for 11 years now when it was championship manager. i feel the game has become to real life where as back in the day you signed the players you wanted picked the team then got on with the season and had few friendlys. ive had a go with a friends handheld version which was ok. sadly i was told that the game will get harder each year fair enough. but why in the past two FMs 2010 and 2011 have i not been able to do anything? hope to hear from some of you if you agree with me or disagree thanks for reading this guys. steve

don't get me wrong i still love the game and play it. but can a game really not be suited to someone who has played it for so long? i see lots of people my age posting on forums how well they are doing and think why isn't that me anymore what are they doing that im not

I have to say a couple of weeks ago i would have agreed with you, but i stopped playing for a couple of weeks and have got my appetite back for it. I think you start lossing intrest if you play it to often, i used to play for a couple of hours a night but know i only play about three times a week it has worked for me.

I was like that after I lost my main game so i left it for a week and then decided to do a challenge playing as Dundee, start on minus 25 points, no money to but,got to get young loans in, no money to renew contracts and I'm really enjoying it.

Tactic creation has become a matter of extreme patience and detail fixation in FM10/11. Some of my friends feel the same way as you - there are just too many variables going into a match, and it all feels very random. It isn't as random as it seems, though.

I recommend downloading tactics from the tactics section, unless you want to spend weeks and months adjusting every slider one notch to the right or left hoping for that single calibration that "breaks" the tactic.

I also recommend removing as many factors which could affect the match engine as possible. Don't mess with Match Preparation, leave the press conferences to the assistant, the team talks too, only buy players with 14/15+ Determination and "Fairly Professional", "Fairly Determined" personalities or better.

There's still much to do, though, so I understand what you're saying...

I've lost interest in my save. 8 seasons no buying or selling and team talks are more important than the players and tactics.

Theres no need to buy and sell anyore anyway when all your performance is dictated on is picking the right option (team talk) out of a choice of 6 or 7. Get it right you win get it wrong you lose.

Si made the biggest mistake and turned the most addictive spreadsheet in the world into a boring basic text besed RPG from the 80's.

Remove team talks, bring back FM/CM. Make it about tactics and players again. Forget trying toi simulate things that cant be simulated.

I'm doing well, when i think about it probably better than normal because after 8 seasons I'm still yet to buy or sell and I'm getting promoted quicker. But thats all down to figuring out team talks quicker. Having less fun than when i struggled in league 2 and needed good players to get promoted. Not winning the championship with my non league team because I kept morale up with my multi choice like now.

Tactic creation has become a matter of extreme patience and detail fixation in FM10/11. Some of my friends feel the same way as you - there are just too many variables going into a match, and it all feels very random. It isn't as random as it seems, though.

I recommend downloading tactics from the tactics section, unless you want to spend weeks and months adjusting every slider one notch to the right or left hoping for that single calibration that "breaks" the tactic.

I also recommend removing as many factors which could affect the match engine as possible. Don't mess with Match Preparation, leave the press conferences to the assistant, the team talks too, only buy players with 14/15+ Determination and "Fairly Professional", "Fairly Determined" personalities or better.

There's still much to do, though, so I understand what you're saying...

That's just not true. I haven't once manually adjusted a slider and have dominated every league I play in through TC settings alone. In fact, the worst thing people can do is start manually messing around with sliders, unless they are 100% sure of what they are trying to achieve. The game is obviously going to be ridicuously frsutrating if you spend hours manually manouvering sliders areound one click at a time.

Playing FM well is about four things:

1: Knowing enough about tactics to create one that fits your players within the confines of the TC

2: Learning how to use the dynamic strategies/shouts to cope with match variables, such as scoreline, weather, pitch conditions, formation differences, unexpectedly good/bad performances

3: Learning how to keep the squad well disciplined and motivated through media and player management

4: Ensuring you have a balanced squad with cover in all the positions required by your tactical strategy (through buying and training strategies)

Do those things consistently well and you will continually overachieve.

You could always go back to an earlier version. I am among those who believe FM has become "too much of a good thing," and "more work than fun." Some people like the game's current level of complexity and detail. Some do not--and I suspect that most of the latter don't spend much time at this forum anymore.

I've been having a lot of fun with FM2005.

I still have FM08 installed and may return to that as well, because it had some features that interested me.

I think it would be a good idea, business-wise, for SI to introduce a simpler version of FM for the PC. Ideally, it would be FM05 with an editor that allows easy in-game league creation and a "can't get fired" option.

agreed... what SI have done is genius frankly..... the implementation of the TC and the wizards has meant that for those who want a pure game, you can just buy players, create a tactic in seconds and go.. and be successful.... and for those who want a simiulation , to learn the intricacies of tactic making and adjust every little detail of it can indeed do that to their hearts content...

If anything ive found this version a lot more accessable then past versions... sure , not as easy as the old cm's , but thats to be expected as the game developed.

Im going to go out on a limb and say maybe your not giving your tactics enough time to gel? just a suggestion.. im sorry to hear your losing patience with it though mate :(

That's just not true. I haven't once manually adjusted a slider and have dominated every league I play in through TC settings alone. In fact, the worst thing people can do is start manually messing around with sliders, unless they are 100% sure of what they are trying to achieve. The game is obviously going to be ridicuously frsutrating if you spend hours manually manouvering sliders areound one click at a time.

Playing FM well is about four things:

1: Knowing enough about tactics to create one that fits your players within the confines of the TC

2: Learning how to use the dynamic strategies/shouts to cope with match variables, such as scoreline, weather, pitch conditions, formation differences, unexpectedly good/bad performances

3: Learning how to keep the squad well disciplined and motivated through media and player management

4: Ensuring you have a balanced squad with cover in all the positions required by your tactical strategy (through buying and training strategies)

Do those things consistently well and you will continually overachieve.

We aren't so in disagreement as you seem to think. What you said there was basically what I told the OP. Your success with a pure TC tactic is a good motivation for the OP, and our warning about making your own tactics are not contradictory. However, when I first started FM11 I started out with a 4-2-4 tactic in the TC and did well with it, after removing the long shots. I cannot tell you how many hours spent on finding out what works and what works not, but the result was a tactic I was happy with. After all that, I now know that Team Talks are the single most important feature in FM11.3, so I could have achived the same success as you have with TC tactics now as well, I presume, after having figured out how to motivate my players.

FM11 is very very easy, once you know how to play it. It is almost impossible as long as you don't, though. Team talks are very unforgiving, and it takes time and patience to "crack the code" - and the way to do it is to remove as many variables as possible while being aware that team talks > all.

I think player morale is the biggest single factor that makes the game hard. If you start off badly then it can be very hard to get going again and you've almost got to pray that you meet another team in poor form to get a win or good draw to get morale back up. If a team knows that it's the worst in the division and that every game will be a struggle then in real life the players will understand that and not necessarily be completely down in the dumps all the time. But in this game they are in poor morale for too long.

Archived