+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Signing foreign youth players

Amateur

Default Signing foreign youth players

What are the rules here?

I understand in South America you cant sign a player until they are 18 but what about other countries?

I am trying to sign a 16 year old from Australia (I am managing Leeds in the championship) who has a euro second nationality (so no wp issues), but he wont accept a youth contract and if i try to sign him to a normal contract it wont go through until 2013? ( im in the first season)

Does this under 18 rule apply to all foreign countries, I thought it was just South America?

Semi Pro

Wouldn't he just join on a youth contract and sign a professional deal when he's 17?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by CityAndColour View Post
    Wouldn't he just join on a youth contract and sign a professional deal when he's 17?
    That's what I expect to happen, but if I sign him on a full time contract the deal goes through and it says the signing will go through in 2013 on the date he turns 18. In other words, the same thing that happens when you try to sign an under 18 Argie or Brazilian.

I just want confirmation of whether this rule applies elsewhere and which countries as I thought it was only South America.

Part-Timer

The rule applies to all U18 players from outside EU

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Herter View Post
    The rule applies to all U18 players from outside EU
    Is this how it works irl?

Because im Australian and I know there are plenty of aussies that go over to different european leagues, especially england between the ages of 15-18 to develop. I don't understand how they can do this if this rule is in place irl.

There are a number of english clubs with aussie youth players.

Part-Timer

http://www.imscouting.com/global-new...transfers/779/

This link has some info on the matter...

There are some exceptions though.. f.eks. brazilians can move to Portugal I believe when they're under 18 and apparantly Australians can move to england also.. But I think that in many australian cases they have some family relations to england perhaps?

According to FIFA's rules U18's can only move to other countries in three circumstances:

- They live in the EU and are moving to another EU country (also includes some education and standard of living requirements)

- If they live near the border of each country.

- None sporting reasons (which is the common method for clubs IRL to sign U18's - offer the parents a random job at the club).

Game wise only the first circumstance applies.

+ Reply to Thread