Football Manager Handheld now has it's own iPad version!

• SI Staff

An Easter weekend surprise for everyone – I can now announce a specific version of Football Manager Handheld for the iPad. And it’s released, err, now (or as quickly as the app store updates anyway, which could take a couple of hours I'm told).

Whilst Football Manager Handheld 2011 always worked on the iPad by using the iPhone/iPod Touch version and pressing the “x2” button, this specific version takes into account the extra power and screensize of the iPad and iPad 2 for a better gaming experience.

The new user interface for the game fully utilises the higher resolution of the iPad family, providing the best experience yet for a version of Football Manager Handheld.

There are more intuitive menus, more information on the screen and it’s easier to navigate than ever before, as well as being the fastest version of Football Manager Handheld to date.

Even better news is that if you already own the iPod touch/iPhone version of the game, you will get the iPad version completely free, as Football Manager Handheld is now a universal app!

If you don’t own the game already and decide to buy, you get all versions of the game for the same price that the iPod Touch/iPhone versions was already available for, just £6.99 for hundreds upon hundreds of hours of gameplay, and also get a version for all of those devices.

The data on the iPad version is up to date as at the end of the January transfer window too, so you’re playing the game with all the players at their current clubs (as long as they moved before the end of January), and over 20,000 real world players, or you can start the game with data from the start of the 2010/11 season.

Despite it’s depth, it’s been designed with snack size play in mind, and is the easiest and fastest to play game in the Football Manager family.

Key features in Football Manager Handheld 2011

Manage any club in 11 countries leagues, with 34 playable divisions, with the ability to have 4 countries leagues available at any one time to be able to move to take jobs in other countries.

A realistic transfer system.

Full financial modelling.

2d match engine.

An easy to use tactics system, including positional tactical roles.

Player training, including the ability to retrain players to different positions.

Keep up to date with the whole game world via the ingame media system.

Social networking integration via Twitter.

Ingame tutorial.

The ability to listen to your own music whilst playing the game via the in game music player.

Also included is a “car/stadium finder”, which provides direction from where you’ve parked your car, or got off the train or bus, to football grounds in England, Scotland, France, Italy, Germany & Spain and back again – you’ll never get lost again!

• SI Staff
What is going to be different?

There are a handful of bug-fixes and tweaks to the game engine in the update (as per usual) and as well as that when run on an iPad (or iPad2) the game will run using an HD user interface.

In practical terms this means a REALLY nice crisp looking display with some additional information displaying on certain pages (basically taking proper advantage of the space available). If you use it you'll also notice on the iPad there is a new squad selection page which works really well imho and is only possible on the larger surface area which the iPad has.

Is the update available yet? I have clicked on update in the app store but for some reason it just keeps saying "loading" which it never does as if there wasn't any updates it would say all apps are up to date. Is fm the reason for this?

I've been waiting for this!! Looks great now on the ipad after suffering with x2 zoom with fuzzy graphics :)

The whole game looks and feels new. I'm liking the new team selection screen, all my players fit on one page and selection is a breeze now.

Oh and well done on providing this as a free update!

Even better news is that if you already own the iPod touch/iPhone version of the game, you will get the iPad version completely free, as Football Manager Handheld is now a universal app!

:applause:

This is the game that got me back into the series so chuffed to get an iPad specific version. Well done guys.

• SI Staff
Aw, you mean you can't watch a game being played? I like to watch at least extended displays of the action during a game.

You can watch matches either with text commentary or with 2d view. The 2d is limited to 'key moments' - ie. you can't watch a full 90 minute match (please do bear in mind that the iPad and iPhone are in no way as powerful as a modern PC/Mac).

I just want to congratulate you guys at SI for the pricing strategy you chose. I've seen so many cases in which they charge you all over again for the iPad version even if you already own the iPhone version, and that always alienates the customers. I'm glad you are not charging us again for the game. I think in the long run its much better to keep your customers happy and loyal instead of trying to make some more money every chance you get. Great job!!

Marc/Guys

Please, please, please can you look at implementing the ability to change orientation on the iPad version so we can choose to have the home button on the left or right? Either in a menu or by just detecting rotation of the iPad?

I know this probably seems trivial but there's quite a few cases/covers etc. Where being forced to have the home button on the right means you can't used built in stands etc. Would make a difference for me anyway :D

Marc, Miles, everyone--

Many many thanks for your hard work creating this excellent adaptation of FM. I've been playing FM since FM 2006, and I'm finding this handheld version to be every bit as immersive and enjoyable, in its own way. The update for the iPad is really outstanding. Brilliant stuff.

N.

• SI Staff
Marc/Guys

Please, please, please can you look at implementing the ability to change orientation on the iPad version so we can choose to have the home button on the left or right? Either in a menu or by just detecting rotation of the iPad?

I know this probably seems trivial but there's quite a few cases/covers etc. Where being forced to have the home button on the right means you can't used built in stands etc. Would make a difference for me anyway :D

Its a fair enough comment - will be looking into this tomorrow morning at some point ... no promises, but I'll definitely try to get it into an update for you.

• SI Staff
Many many thanks for your hard work creating this excellent adaptation of FM. I've been playing FM since FM 2006, and I'm finding this handheld version to be every bit as immersive and enjoyable, in its own way. The update for the iPad is really outstanding. Brilliant stuff.

Thanks for your kind words - much appreciated :D

Wow, I go away for Easter, come back and there's an iPad version. The text is super-sharp and the team formation display is much better and readable now. Also, some neat touches with shading on positional icons. I guess all the other issues of layout regarding attribute views and tactic screens will be looked at for the 2012 version. Great work though Marc, makes it look really crisp on the iPad.

Been a member for a while played since the 1st CM now I'm getting old and often on the move . Well I haven't posted many times but today is one of those times :)

Fm11 on the iPad is brilliant it feels so right !!! I think actually little while ago I was praying the day this happened , I'm sooo happy and my best pal is so jealous . Love you guys at Si, out all the games over the years you guys do the best job , u listen and u keep things up to date top bunch !!!

Here too many more years , Well done Si !!! every train ride from here on in is a fixture or a new signing , a loss in the final in between tube stops or a big win last game of the league on the way up the escalator !!!

No idea how great this will become

Marc/Guys

Would definitely love to see this in the next update. I got around to downloading it on my iPad last night and was trying to figure out how to hold it because the cover flap of my case was in the way. It's still a bit awkward because the flap won't bend all the way back, so it's sort of sitting against me.

Anyway, hope it will be implemented :)

• SI Staff
Would definitely love to see this in the next update. I got around to downloading it on my iPad last night and was trying to figure out how to hold it because the cover flap of my case was in the way. It's still a bit awkward because the flap won't bend all the way back, so it's sort of sitting against me.

I'm working on it now - if all goes well it'll be in the next update (and will work on both iPhone/iTouch and iPad).

As someone who was only playing FMH 2011 on the iPad - it was a battery drainer for my iphone 3g - I';m very pleased! Was not expecting an iPad version until FMH 2012. Of course you're going to get all those Android tablet wasters - sorry, fans - on your case now! :)

i love the game for Ipad ... i think in Fm 2012 maybe make a better 2D maybe 3D for this and its perfect for play ... think about that maybe wish sounds in matchs to in version Ipad and maybe to language Portuguese is good to... i am more happy wish the Sigames now... because are angry because the FML ends but is ok now...

I'm working on it now - if all goes well it'll be in the next update (and will work on both iPhone/iTouch and iPad).

:thup: Thanks Marc

Put in a good 8 hours on a flight yesterday. Won the Eredivisie with Volendam :cool:

I'm loving how much easier on the eye the iPad version is without the 2x zoom and you guys have made good use of the extra screen size.

This is the version of FM that has got me back into the series. I'm an old man now and can't spend evenings in front of the computer on the big brother, so having this to pick up and play when I have a few moments is fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

The data on the iPad version is up to date as at the end of the January transfer window too, so you’re playing the game with all the players at their current clubs (as long as they moved before the end of January), and over 20,000 real world players, Key features in Football Manager Handheld 2011

!

Sorry guys

I cannot find 20,000 player in the database of the Ipad Version - Still the same 4 to 5 k???

Regards

Oliver

• SI Staff
I cannot find 20,000 player in the database of the Ipad Version - Still the same 4 to 5 k???

There are between 5,000 and 6,500 players active in any particular game depending on the leagues active etc. - in total in the game database there are 20,000 players (actually I think the true total is slightly north of 22,000 tbh).

This is exactly the same as on the PC game, the main database has a huge number of players in it but in most games running a single league a far smaller number of players are actually loaded and active.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SI Staff
Could someone please explain the fundamental difference between FM11 handheld for IPAD 2 and for the Macbook?

Is it exactly the same????

Thanks

Very different actually - the iPad version is designed to be faster to play; its more akin to our earlier management games than FM on PC or Mac.

It retains the feeling of realism and immersion but allows a more 'fun' experience and is far more tolerant of bite sized playing periods (ie. if you've only got 15 minutes available to play in on FMH you can blast through a couple of matches whereas on FM Mac you'd still likely be setting up your tactics for the first one ;) ).

Finally got this yesterday after having my iPad for 6 days and managing not to buy it :D

I have to say I am very impressed by it. Such a brilliant time waster and perfect for when I don't want to go through the hassle of starting up a game on the PC.

One question I have regarding the match engine for future versions. I notice on this one the match engine generally just creates the chances at whatever end and then that chance is played out. Are there plans for future versions to make this slightly more like the game on pc? Obviously no full 3d match engine etc but a bit more of a game taking place? Not a criticism at all as I understand how hard it must be to create a good match engine with regards to battery life and ipad power etc.

• SI Staff
One question I have regarding the match engine for future versions. I notice on this one the match engine generally just creates the chances at whatever end and then that chance is played out. Are there plans for future versions to make this slightly more like the game on pc? Obviously no full 3d match engine etc but a bit more of a game taking place? Not a criticism at all as I understand how hard it must be to create a good match engine with regards to battery life and ipad power etc.

The match plays out fully (its using an enhanced version of one of our early match engines) but the highlights are 'clipped' to just show the final piece of action; this is intentional as otherwise matches take a LOT longer to watch potentially and slow down the flow of the game as a whole (the 'snappy' feel of the game imho helps with its overall addictiveness and well for want of a better word fun).

(once I'm truly happy with the 2d quality (I'll be honest I'm not 100% happy with it at present) I might introduce an optional 'extended' mode to show a little more of this side of things ... time will tell)

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff

I'm afraid I have no idea about potential future sales - there was one run for two days recently, but tbh I tend to find out about such promotions at the same time that you lot do ... sorry.

Hi Mark, I trust you are well. Game always crash on the 30th of June 2012 - I mean the game shuts down on this day. Team is Barnet and just got promoted to Championship. It is good I saved the game prior to game update on 30 june 2012, there seem to be a bug that triggers game shut down/crash on 30 June 2012. Would you be kind enough to send me a patch to fix this? Thanking you in advance

• SI Staff

Could you possibly provide me with your save game so I can take a look at whats going on - my email address is marc.vaughan@sigames.com.

(I'm afraid without a save to look at I've no idea what the cause of your issues is (which might be related to your device or a bug in the game or even another app installed on your iPad/iPhone)

A question to Marc, Miles or any other SI staff. We all know that the database for other leagues such as the Greek, the Russian and other is ready. Would it be possible to add just the very top leagues of other countries (eg Greek Superleague)? I would be willing to pay more as an in app purchase in order to download it. I know that there are many people in Greece that they would buy this game just to manage their favourite Greek team. I am pretty sure that SI does not have nothing to lose. Just earn more money from increasing sales. Finally my question is:Is there any chance to add (make available for download) more leagues? Thank you

• SI Staff

At present I can't discuss plans for future versions of our games (I'd get my arse kicked by the PR chaps who's job it is to coordinate information about such things) ... sorry.

PS - Adding news leagues isn't quite as simple as just ticking a box, we have to code in the actual league structures (the implementation of which differs somewhat from FMH to FM PC) and do a truck load of testing to try and ensure that its stable, realistic and playable ....

Archived