+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Football Manager Handheld now has it's own iPad version!

Default Football Manager Handheld now has it's own iPad version!

An Easter weekend surprise for everyone – I can now announce a specific version of Football Manager Handheld for the iPad. And it’s released, err, now (or as quickly as the app store updates anyway, which could take a couple of hours I'm told).

Whilst Football Manager Handheld 2011 always worked on the iPad by using the iPhone/iPod Touch version and pressing the “x2” button, this specific version takes into account the extra power and screensize of the iPad and iPad 2 for a better gaming experience.

The new user interface for the game fully utilises the higher resolution of the iPad family, providing the best experience yet for a version of Football Manager Handheld.

There are more intuitive menus, more information on the screen and it’s easier to navigate than ever before, as well as being the fastest version of Football Manager Handheld to date.

Even better news is that if you already own the iPod touch/iPhone version of the game, you will get the iPad version completely free, as Football Manager Handheld is now a universal app!

If you don’t own the game already and decide to buy, you get all versions of the game for the same price that the iPod Touch/iPhone versions was already available for, just £6.99 for hundreds upon hundreds of hours of gameplay, and also get a version for all of those devices.

The data on the iPad version is up to date as at the end of the January transfer window too, so you’re playing the game with all the players at their current clubs (as long as they moved before the end of January), and over 20,000 real world players, or you can start the game with data from the start of the 2010/11 season.

Despite it’s depth, it’s been designed with snack size play in mind, and is the easiest and fastest to play game in the Football Manager family.

Key features in Football Manager Handheld 2011

Manage any club in 11 countries leagues, with 34 playable divisions, with the ability to have 4 countries leagues available at any one time to be able to move to take jobs in other countries.

A realistic transfer system.
    Full financial modelling.
    2d match engine.
    An easy to use tactics system, including positional tactical roles.
    Player training, including the ability to retrain players to different positions.
    Keep up to date with the whole game world via the ingame media system.
    Social networking integration via Twitter.
    Ingame tutorial.
    The ability to listen to your own music whilst playing the game via the in game music player.
    Also included is a “car/stadium finder”, which provides direction from where you’ve parked your car, or got off the train or bus, to football grounds in England, Scotland, France, Italy, Germany & Spain and back again – you’ll never get lost again!

Semi Pro

This is what Marc has been so busy on that he hasn't had time to talk to me . Sneaky but well played SI.

Amateur

What is going to be different?

Semi Pro

Seeing as the iPhone 4 uses the same processor as the iPad 1, I assume that it will also run faster post-universal app update?

Sports Interactive Marc Vaughan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal fan 123 View Post
    What is going to be different?
    There are a handful of bug-fixes and tweaks to the game engine in the update (as per usual) and as well as that when run on an iPad (or iPad2) the game will run using an HD user interface.

In practical terms this means a REALLY nice crisp looking display with some additional information displaying on certain pages (basically taking proper advantage of the space available). If you use it you'll also notice on the iPad there is a new squad selection page which works really well imho and is only possible on the larger surface area which the iPad has.

Amateur

Nice, thanks.

Amateur

Is the update available yet? I have clicked on update in the app store but for some reason it just keeps saying "loading" which it never does as if there wasn't any updates it would say all apps are up to date. Is fm the reason for this?
    Last edited by kowak; 21-04-2011 at 20:48.

Amateur

It seems to be working now

Amateur

Looks incredible on the ipad2! I could never go back to the old "x2" now. I'm thrilled!

Quote Originally Posted by vthallman View Post
    Looks incredible on the ipad2! I could never go back to the old "x2" now. I'm thrilled!
    We're very happy to have made your day!

You have no idea how happy this makes me. No more 2x on the iPad!

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Jacobson View Post
    We're very happy to have made your day!
    You really did make my day! Keep up the great work.

this is a great news to my ipad!! I must hurry to update the game and enjoy FMH with ipad everwhere!!

Amateur

I've been waiting for this!! Looks great now on the ipad after suffering with x2 zoom with fuzzy graphics

The whole game looks and feels new. I'm liking the new team selection screen, all my players fit on one page and selection is a breeze now.

Oh and well done on providing this as a free update!

Amateur

cool one thanks

As always please remember to rate & review the app if you're enjoying the update (and if you're not let us know 'why' so we can improve things going forward) ...

World Cup Winner

Even better news is that if you already own the iPod touch/iPhone version of the game, you will get the iPad version completely free, as Football Manager Handheld is now a universal app!

This is the game that got me back into the series so chuffed to get an iPad specific version. Well done guys.

Amateur

awesome, been waiting for this! cheers fellas.

Amateur

Aw, you mean you can't watch a game being played? I like to watch at least extended displays of the action during a game.

Quote Originally Posted by sth0009 View Post
    Aw, you mean you can't watch a game being played? I like to watch at least extended displays of the action during a game.
    You can watch matches either with text commentary or with 2d view. The 2d is limited to 'key moments' - ie. you can't watch a full 90 minute match (please do bear in mind that the iPad and iPhone are in no way as powerful as a modern PC/Mac).

Amateur

Great news, thankyou .

Amateur

Thank you for doing this and listening to the community, Marc! Great work!!

Amateur

I just want to congratulate you guys at SI for the pricing strategy you chose. I've seen so many cases in which they charge you all over again for the iPad version even if you already own the iPhone version, and that always alienates the customers. I'm glad you are not charging us again for the game. I think in the long run its much better to keep your customers happy and loyal instead of trying to make some more money every chance you get. Great job!!

World Cup Winner

Marc/Guys

Please, please, please can you look at implementing the ability to change orientation on the iPad version so we can choose to have the home button on the left or right? Either in a menu or by just detecting rotation of the iPad?

I know this probably seems trivial but there's quite a few cases/covers etc. Where being forced to have the home button on the right means you can't used built in stands etc. Would make a difference for me anyway

Amateur

Marc, Miles, everyone--

Many many thanks for your hard work creating this excellent adaptation of FM. I've been playing FM since FM 2006, and I'm finding this handheld version to be every bit as immersive and enjoyable, in its own way. The update for the iPad is really outstanding. Brilliant stuff.

N.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Hector View Post
    Marc/Guys
    Please, please, please can you look at implementing the ability to change orientation on the iPad version so we can choose to have the home button on the left or right? Either in a menu or by just detecting rotation of the iPad?
    I know this probably seems trivial but there's quite a few cases/covers etc. Where being forced to have the home button on the right means you can't used built in stands etc. Would make a difference for me anyway
    Its a fair enough comment - will be looking into this tomorrow morning at some point ... no promises, but I'll definitely try to get it into an update for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco FC View Post
    Many many thanks for your hard work creating this excellent adaptation of FM. I've been playing FM since FM 2006, and I'm finding this handheld version to be every bit as immersive and enjoyable, in its own way. The update for the iPad is really outstanding. Brilliant stuff.
    Thanks for your kind words - much appreciated

Amateur

Wow, I go away for Easter, come back and there's an iPad version. The text is super-sharp and the team formation display is much better and readable now. Also, some neat touches with shading on positional icons. I guess all the other issues of layout regarding attribute views and tactic screens will be looked at for the 2012 version. Great work though Marc, makes it look really crisp on the iPad.

Amateur

Been a member for a while played since the 1st CM now I'm getting old and often on the move . Well I haven't posted many times but today is one of those times
    Fm11 on the iPad is brilliant it feels so right !!! I think actually little while ago I was praying the day this happened , I'm sooo happy and my best pal is so jealous . Love you guys at Si, out all the games over the years you guys do the best job , u listen and u keep things up to date top bunch !!!
    Here too many more years , Well done Si !!! every train ride from here on in is a fixture or a new signing , a loss in the final in between tube stops or a big win last game of the league on the way up the escalator !!!
    No idea how great this will become

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Hector View Post
    Marc/Guys

Would definitely love to see this in the next update. I got around to downloading it on my iPad last night and was trying to figure out how to hold it because the cover flap of my case was in the way. It's still a bit awkward because the flap won't bend all the way back, so it's sort of sitting against me.

Anyway, hope it will be implemented

Quote Originally Posted by tom5955 View Post
    Would definitely love to see this in the next update. I got around to downloading it on my iPad last night and was trying to figure out how to hold it because the cover flap of my case was in the way. It's still a bit awkward because the flap won't bend all the way back, so it's sort of sitting against me.
    I'm working on it now - if all goes well it'll be in the next update (and will work on both iPhone/iTouch and iPad).

Amateur

Really enjoy the game so far but any chance of you putting in unprotected status in player search for the next update. For lower league it is easily for us to look for free players thank you

Amateur

As someone who was only playing FMH 2011 on the iPad - it was a battery drainer for my iphone 3g - I';m very pleased! Was not expecting an iPad version until FMH 2012. Of course you're going to get all those Android tablet wasters - sorry, fans - on your case now!

Amateur

i love the game for Ipad ... i think in Fm 2012 maybe make a better 2D maybe 3D for this and its perfect for play ... think about that maybe wish sounds in matchs to in version Ipad and maybe to language Portuguese is good to... i am more happy wish the Sigames now... because are angry because the FML ends but is ok now...
    Last edited by lokypedro3; 01-05-2011 at 13:15.

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
    I'm working on it now - if all goes well it'll be in the next update (and will work on both iPhone/iTouch and iPad).
    Thanks Marc

Put in a good 8 hours on a flight yesterday. Won the Eredivisie with Volendam

I'm loving how much easier on the eye the iPad version is without the 2x zoom and you guys have made good use of the extra screen size.

This is the version of FM that has got me back into the series. I'm an old man now and can't spend evenings in front of the computer on the big brother, so having this to pick up and play when I have a few moments is fantastic.

Amateur

gotta admit SI Fantastic game...well worth the price.

Amateur

is there going to be another transfer update?

Amateur

The data on the iPad version is up to date as at the end of the January transfer window too, so you’re playing the game with all the players at their current clubs (as long as they moved before the end of January), and over 20,000 real world players, Key features in Football Manager Handheld 2011

!
    Sorry guys

I cannot find 20,000 player in the database of the Ipad Version - Still the same 4 to 5 k???

Regards

Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by enthon View Post
    I cannot find 20,000 player in the database of the Ipad Version - Still the same 4 to 5 k???
    There are between 5,000 and 6,500 players active in any particular game depending on the leagues active etc. - in total in the game database there are 20,000 players (actually I think the true total is slightly north of 22,000 tbh).

This is exactly the same as on the PC game, the main database has a huge number of players in it but in most games running a single league a far smaller number of players are actually loaded and active.

Amateur

Miles that's brilliant, I've been waiting for this for ages. Looks like no one else in my familly will be able to go on the iPad for a while

Amateur

Wink Difference Between HANDHELD & MACBOOK VERSION

Could someone please explain the fundamental difference between FM11 handheld for IPAD 2 and for the Macbook?

Is it exactly the same????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 00gillt View Post
    Could someone please explain the fundamental difference between FM11 handheld for IPAD 2 and for the Macbook?
    Is it exactly the same????
    Thanks
    Very different actually - the iPad version is designed to be faster to play; its more akin to our earlier management games than FM on PC or Mac.

It retains the feeling of realism and immersion but allows a more 'fun' experience and is far more tolerant of bite sized playing periods (ie. if you've only got 15 minutes available to play in on FMH you can blast through a couple of matches whereas on FM Mac you'd still likely be setting up your tactics for the first one ;) ).

Third Team

Finally got this yesterday after having my iPad for 6 days and managing not to buy it

I have to say I am very impressed by it. Such a brilliant time waster and perfect for when I don't want to go through the hassle of starting up a game on the PC.

One question I have regarding the match engine for future versions. I notice on this one the match engine generally just creates the chances at whatever end and then that chance is played out. Are there plans for future versions to make this slightly more like the game on pc? Obviously no full 3d match engine etc but a bit more of a game taking place? Not a criticism at all as I understand how hard it must be to create a good match engine with regards to battery life and ipad power etc.

One question I have regarding the match engine for future versions. I notice on this one the match engine generally just creates the chances at whatever end and then that chance is played out. Are there plans for future versions to make this slightly more like the game on pc? Obviously no full 3d match engine etc but a bit more of a game taking place? Not a criticism at all as I understand how hard it must be to create a good match engine with regards to battery life and ipad power etc.
    The match plays out fully (its using an enhanced version of one of our early match engines) but the highlights are 'clipped' to just show the final piece of action; this is intentional as otherwise matches take a LOT longer to watch potentially and slow down the flow of the game as a whole (the 'snappy' feel of the game imho helps with its overall addictiveness and well for want of a better word fun).

(once I'm truly happy with the 2d quality (I'll be honest I'm not 100% happy with it at present) I might introduce an optional 'extended' mode to show a little more of this side of things ... time will tell)

Amateur

Finally got my IPad, now I'm undecided if I should get FMH!!

How good is it? Any sales coming up? Don't have £6.99 on itunes

I'm afraid I have no idea about potential future sales - there was one run for two days recently, but tbh I tend to find out about such promotions at the same time that you lot do ... sorry.

Amateur

Hi Mark, I trust you are well. Game always crash on the 30th of June 2012 - I mean the game shuts down on this day. Team is Barnet and just got promoted to Championship. It is good I saved the game prior to game update on 30 june 2012, there seem to be a bug that triggers game shut down/crash on 30 June 2012. Would you be kind enough to send me a patch to fix this? Thanking you in advance

Could you possibly provide me with your save game so I can take a look at whats going on - my email address is marc.vaughan@sigames.com.

(I'm afraid without a save to look at I've no idea what the cause of your issues is (which might be related to your device or a bug in the game or even another app installed on your iPad/iPhone)

Amateur

A question to Marc, Miles or any other SI staff. We all know that the database for other leagues such as the Greek, the Russian and other is ready. Would it be possible to add just the very top leagues of other countries (eg Greek Superleague)? I would be willing to pay more as an in app purchase in order to download it. I know that there are many people in Greece that they would buy this game just to manage their favourite Greek team. I am pretty sure that SI does not have nothing to lose. Just earn more money from increasing sales. Finally my question is:Is there any chance to add (make available for download) more leagues? Thank you

At present I can't discuss plans for future versions of our games (I'd get my arse kicked by the PR chaps who's job it is to coordinate information about such things) ... sorry.

PS - Adding news leagues isn't quite as simple as just ticking a box, we have to code in the actual league structures (the implementation of which differs somewhat from FMH to FM PC) and do a truck load of testing to try and ensure that its stable, realistic and playable ....

Amateur

Will you be planning a FM12 for ipad Marc or are you not allowed to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gooner View Post
    Will you be planning a FM12 for ipad Marc or are you not allowed to say?
    FMHi 2012 will support iPad - there will not be an FM 12 (PC/Mac game) for the iPad, the current iPad hasn't a hope in heck of handling FM 12's processing or memory requirements ...

Amateur

FMHi 2012 will support iPad - there will not be an FM 12 (PC/Mac game) for the iPad, the current iPad hasn't a hope in heck of handling FM 12's processing or memory requirements ...
    Sorry I meant to say FMHi, glad to hear there will be a iPad version for FMHi 12

Any chances of there being another game when the iPad 3 potentially comes out next year?

Thanks

Amateur

I don't understand the need for so many iPads :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gooner View Post
    Sorry I meant to say FMHi, glad to hear there will be a iPad version for FMHi 12
    Any chances of there being another game when the iPad 3 potentially comes out next year?
    I can't say anything regarding what will be done for any future iOS devices - I'd obviously love us to support them*, but how, when and to what extent depends at least partially on their (as yet unknown) specs ....

*It gives me an excuse to get another toy to play with ;)

Amateur

So I understand the match engine uses 'key moments'. But is it as smooth and realistic as the 'key moments' in the PC version running 2D mode? or more like the iPhone/PSP version?

Its a deal breaker for me, need to know

Massive fan of the series BTW

Amateur

The match engine on iPad is the same as the iPhone one and based on the PSP one. It's well short of even the old CM4 2D match engine with all sorts of weird play going on. I know the iPad and iPhone 4 could do so much more but I suppose there's limits on development time. The commentary is good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vane View Post
    The match engine on iPad is the same as the iPhone one and based on the PSP one. It's well short of even the old CM4 2D match engine with all sorts of weird play going on. I know the iPad and iPhone 4 could do so much more but I suppose there's limits on development time. The commentary is good though.
    The FMH games use a match engine from one of our older games enhanced somewhat* - I'm continually trying to refine and evolve it; but please do bear in mind that I'm working on the entire game not just the match engine so its baby steps in this regard (in comparison to FM PC where there is a person working full-time on refining the match).

*One of the engines before 2d was introduced, none of the 2d PC/Mac based engines are 'light' enough for the current generation of iPad/iPhones to handle their processing requirements (well unless you really think you'd be happy twiddling your thumbs for several minutes whenever you went to a match ;) ).

Amateur

The FMH games use a match engine from one of our older games enhanced somewhat* - I'm continually trying to refine and evolve it; but please do bear in mind that I'm working on the entire game not just the match engine so its baby steps in this regard (in comparison to FM PC where there is a person working full-time on refining the match).

*One of the engines before 2d was introduced, none of the 2d PC/Mac based engines are 'light' enough for the current generation of iPad/iPhones to handle their processing requirements (well unless you really think you'd be happy twiddling your thumbs for several minutes whenever you went to a match ;) ).
    You're the only one working on the game? WTF

Its a big franchise, they should be taking it more seriously.

*buys you a pint*

Amateur

We know you do your best Marc. So the Apple devices are still too underpowered to run anything near to the PC engines? I guess if it was possible a half way house between them and the PSP engine would be good but I guess that would mean a lot of work.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by tomarlyn View Post

Its a big franchise, they should be taking it more seriously.

*buys you a pint*
    Yep EA is investing massively in mobile gaming because they want to get their games on the billions of smartphones and even java based phones around the world. FMH could be the football manager mobile game for fans around the world. We don't want Fifa Manager getting there first!
    Last edited by Vane; 23-08-2011 at 13:50. Reason: typos

Amateur

Yep EA is investing massively in mobile gaming because they want to get their games on the billions of smartphones and even java based phones around the world. FMH could be the football manager mobile game for fans around the world. We don't want Fifa Manager getting there first!
    Well he should be proud of himself but you're right.

Tablets should be the ideal format for a portable football management game and I'm amazed they haven't thrown more resources at it. If I can get anything like the PC version's 2D match engine I'd happily pay up to £40, it would give me countless hours of pleasure. Fifa Manager looks nice but the engine is more style than substance.

Quote Originally Posted by tomarlyn View Post
    I'm not the only one (I'm just the idiot who does the bulk of the game engine stuff) - there's me and Rich doing the design & coding on the handheld games (that is FMH on PSP, iPhone & iPad).

Also involved is Chris who does all the art for the UI and our beloved QA chaps without whom the games wouldn't be as good as they are
    Last edited by Marc Vaughan; 23-08-2011 at 21:48.

We know you do your best Marc. So the Apple devices are still too underpowered to run anything near to the PC engines? I guess if it was possible a half way house between them and the PSP engine would be good but I guess that would mean a lot of work.
    Mobile devices have come a huge way in recent years - but to be honest they're still incredibly underpowered in comparison to modern PC's, even the 'multi-core' processor devices which are starting to appear aren't as fast as you might think (ie. a dual core mobile phone is NOT anywhere near as powerful as a dual core laptop - they might sound similar but each cores processing capabilities is very different).

One day I expect we'll be able to run one of the more modern engines on mobile devices - but that won't be for several years yet I'm afraid.

Amateur

I'm not the only one (I'm just the idiot who does the bulk of the game engine stuff) - there's me and Rich doing the design & coding on the handheld games (that is FMH on PSP, iPhone & iPad).

Also involved is Chris who does all the art for the UI and our beloved QA chaps without whom the games wouldn't be as good as they are
    Ah I see, it seems pretty polished for a small team at a low purchase price still.

Amateur

Hi Marc

Do you think in the next version we might be able to edit the database ala the PC version? Would be great if we could do that

Also, are there hidden stats for all players like injury proneness etc as well?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by coxy100 View Post
    Hi Marc
    Do you think in the next version we might be able to edit the database ala the PC version? Would be great if we could do that
    At some point in the future I hope to include the ability to edit the game .... no promises when this will be though, I've a lengthy 'to do' list in front of it I'm afraid.

Also, are there hidden stats for all players like injury proneness etc as well?
    Yes there are all the various 'hidden stats' which you'd expect - including injury proneness, consistency etc.

Amateur

Hi Marc

Thanks for the response.

Another question if I may... does the game have regens as well? For example, after the first season I note Van Der Sar has left Man U as he has obviously retired. Will a dutch GK regenerate in his place? If so how would I find him from the 'Search' section?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coxy100 View Post
    Another question if I may... does the game have regens as well? For example, after the first season I note Van Der Sar has left Man U as he has obviously retired. Will a dutch GK regenerate in his place? If so how would I find him from the 'Search' section?
    Yes the game uses a system of 'regenerations' - however its not instant and is designed to be inherently slightly unpredictable (both in terms of the delay before a player is regenerate but also it will sometimes change his nationality if he's from a nation with only a few players in it) so as to not make it entirely too easy to spot who future stars are going to be ...

(there are ways in which you can 'cheat' the system to some extent - but I'll leave you to find those yourself if you must .... ;) )

First Team Squad Member
    Micado is the oracle though...he'll see us right. Originally Posted by Why?

Hi, is there anyway to try out FMH before I buy it? Long time fan of FM series and now I own a iPad2 I am thinking of getting this, but not really convinced it can give me the same pleasure as FM11 (or older versions).

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Micado View Post
    Hi, is there anyway to try out FMH before I buy it? Long time fan of FM series and now I own a iPad2 I am thinking of getting this, but not really convinced it can give me the same pleasure as FM11 (or older versions).
    There isn't a demo version of FMHi 2011 in the iTunes store at present I'm afraid. There are numerous reviews of the game online which might help you determine if its a game you might enjoy.

The 'concept' behind the games design is that its a faster and slightly easier to use game than FM PC/Mac (its more akin to our earlier management games pre-3d match engine) - this allows people to blast through a season in an evening with 4-5 hours play where on FM PC you might have only managed to play a dozen or so matches.

(the iPad 2 version is blisteringly fast btw - I've got one myself and its sweet )

Amateur

I like to play matches slow on fmhi as i feel you can get involved with tactics more if your losing etc...

There isn't a demo version of FMHi 2011 in the iTunes store at present I'm afraid. There are numerous reviews of the game online which might help you determine if its a game you might enjoy.

The 'concept' behind the games design is that its a faster and slightly easier to use game than FM PC/Mac (its more akin to our earlier management games pre-3d match engine) - this allows people to blast through a season in an evening with 4-5 hours play where on FM PC you might have only managed to play a dozen or so matches.

(the iPad 2 version is blisteringly fast btw - I've got one myself and its sweet )

First Team Squad Member
    Micado is the oracle though...he'll see us right. Originally Posted by Why?

Thanks for you answer. Had indeed a look at some reviews on line and they were good, so probably just have to get it (handy for on airports). I did see it looks a bit like the pre 3D era, which still I like.

+ Reply to Thread