Football Manager - The Board Game, Game Thread

FMBG.png

This sign-up is to be contested by fifteen players as specified in the next post, who must be prepared to get involved, and they will have the top two leagues of the English league system open to them. Clubs may be bought and sold freely at the estimated value of that club. Clubs may also be bought and sold amongst yourselves for fair prices (agreed between you in PMs). The currency used will be, simply, points - these can be gained based on how the club does, as well as affected by random board game events. Each club has a value in points, which is simply related to the value, and is updated at the beginning of each season. Points gained by positions in competitions are weighted based on reputation, so that a club with a lower reputation gets more points for the same achievement as one with a higher reputation. This makes things more interesting and rewarding for things like small clubs having good cup runs.

When buying/selling clubs between players you must obey the following rules:

- You may choose to make offers through PMs (more secure and more likely the selling party will notice and respond) or you may choose to discuss and barter in thread.

- If you choose to barter using PMs, both of you must copy me in to the messages so as to prevent any dishonesty or discrepancies in the deal.

- No backhands/bribes (clubs must be sold for a minimum of 75% of their value.

- If an offer of 150%-200% is rejected by the selling party, one or both of you must make this known to either myself or the entire thread. There will then be a vote involving all players on whether the sale should be forced or not. Of course, there are vested interests other than whether the offer is fair or not - Who is currently in a better position and therefore most dangerous? Who does the voter want to see come out with a result? Has the voter got some kind of an 'incentive' based on a random board game event?

- If an offer of 200% plus is rejected (again, this must be made public) then a 21-man FIFA board (found here) will make an executive desicion as to whether the sale should be forced.

I am not intending to reveal all of the possible events now - these shall be unveiled as an when they are earned by the players. Most will be posted in the thread to invoke the jealousy, or, amusement of your peers. However, some (red and green events) will be kept private, and communicated through PM. As can be seen in the image of the game board above,

Possible squares to land on:

- Point based events (blue)

- Club based events (yellow)

- Vested interest events (red)

- Sabotage events (green)

Turn actions are taken after the board game events take place - although you have a choice whether you want to risk the event or not. On average, 70% of the event cards have positive outcomes, meaning that overall it is a risk worth taking. However, some of the negative cards, especially in the most dangerous event types, sabotage and vested interest, could really scupper your chances of winning this board game. You will have a maximum of 2 days to reply to your turn, otherwise it is passed. If this happens three times in a row you'll be evicted from the game.

Every time GO is passed, you earn 10000 points (£10M). Each turn, a 6 sided die is rolled and that many places are moved. You then have an opportunity to do business (all but player-player offers - these are negotiated in your own time and ANNOUNCED when it is your turn). If you land on a coloured square, then your event will be made known, but you will be unable to act on it until the next turn at the earliest. Turns are passed consecutively as in any conventional board game.

During your turn, you may:

- Hire and sack managers at will (at a price of the addition of a year's wages of both managers).

- Pump money into the clubs' bank balances.

- Choose which clubs are affected by random board game events relating to a club.

- Buy and sell AI-owned clubs at will (can buy more than one per turn now; first season is over - but now we are further in to the game, this is unlikely to happen often). (You may not re-buy a club you have previously sold unless at least 1 year (4 turns) has elapsed since that sale)

- Announce purchases/sales of clubs from/to other players.

You may not:

- Ask to do any of the above when it is not your turn.

- Request any extra information (including screenshots) from those you've been given.

- Request specific player transfers, or facility improvements unless earned during the board game.

You may take money out of your clubs balances in order to buy new clubs, or pay off debts. However, this is not advised - if you take money from a club, the fans will dislike you and you will be unable to rebuy that club for three seasons once you have sold them. It also runs the risk of putting that team into administration, whether initially, or in the long run. If this happens, although you will retain control of the club, no points earned via competition wins etc will be awarded to you, until your team is out of administration. You may also take out loans from the CSE Investment Bank. The bank has made a statement regarding this near the top of page 2 of this thread.

Hiring managers is a simple process. To sack your manager, you have to pay a years' wages in compensation. To hire one, it is free so long as he is unemployed. If employed, you again have to pay a years' wages in compensation. Should the person you are attempting to hire be in a non-managerial role, or without a job, he will take up your managerial position without a fuss. However, if he is in a managerial role, the chances of him making the move to your club is governed by relative club reputations, and a slice of luck. You may only attempt to make one managerial appointment per turn, so if you are rejected by your favoured applicant, you will have to wait until after the next quarterly update to try again. You may attempt to appoint the same manager in as many consecutive turns as you wish.

The overall aim, as previously stated, is to be the last man standing. That is, when no other player is left with any clubs. Each and every time a player is left with no remaining clubs (through either forced sales or relegation from the Championship) they are eliminated from the game. Each player will get the opportunity to purchase a club at the beginning of the game, with a draft to select this choosing order. Do not think that you can make offers to force the sale of a club straight away - this must wait until either the third season or until all 44 clubs are owned by players. There will be an update every season quarter in game, after every player has had a turn. That is, there will be four rounds of turns each season.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I produced a random draw to decide who would have first pick of the clubs. This was completely random, I can assure you, using the online dice roller service linked to in the OP. Much of this game will have to be based on trust - I have no reason to cheat so please do not question any result you or others may get - it is completely random.

Anyway, you each have 25000 points to begin with (equivalent to £25M) to buy your first club. You may buy one club only until your first turn, when you may do anything you like according to the rules in the OP. The draw to decide the order of picking resulted as follows:

1 - Long Tym Toon - picked

2 - Stefan Guillermo - picked

3 - Coach Crane - picked

4 - Uncle Scrooge - picked

5 - Sergio Gonzalez - picked

6 - Symon Krajnik - picked

7 - Lionel Aguerre - picked

8 - Abdul Al-Salami - picked

9 - Phill Ewles - picked

10 - King Tikki-Man - picked

11 - Aidan Galashan - picked

12 - Moon McNamee - picked

13 - Arthur Bach - picked

14 - Mike Jablonski - picked

15 - Kieran Hayden - picked

Please pick your clubs in order of preference (and of course valued no higher than 25k points). Pick as many clubs as your position in the draft to make it easier and faster to complete this first phase of the game. For example, if you are Phill Ewles and have been drawn 9th, pick 9 clubs, listed in order of preference, and you will be given the most preferred club which has not been selected by one of the previous 8 players. I hope everyone fully understands this.

Current Leaderboard

[u]PLAYERS[/u]

Ranking	Player		 Club(s)		Club Value	Points Held	Overall Points
1(+5)	Mike Jablonski	 Crystal Palace, Bolton	48500		27774		86274
2	Uncle Scrooge	 Leicester		11750		58788		70538
3(+11)	Phill Ewles	 Hull City		25000		36313		61313
4(-3)	Aidan Galashan	 Blackpool		33000		27341		60341
5	Symon Krajnik	 Barnsley, Burnley	36000		23843		59843
6(-2)	Sergio Gonzalez	 Sheffield Utd, Watford	25000		33657		58657
7(+6)	Lionel Aguerre	 Middlesbrough		36500		21012		57512
8(-1)	King Tikki-Man	 Bristol City		27000		27544		54544
9(+3)	Long Tym Toon	 QPR, Portsmouth	26000		19882		45882
10(-7)	Moon McNamee	 Milwall		10750		34744		45494
11(-3)	Abdul Al-Salami	 Leeds Utd, Coventry	19650		21938		40688
12(+3)	Coach Crane	 Reading, Preston	22500		15037		37537
13(-2)	Stefan Guillermo Nottm Forest		22000		11101		33101
14(-4)	Arthur Bach	 Derby County		14750		17045		31795
15(-6)	Kieran Hayden	 -			0		27488		27488

[u]CLUBS[/u]

Ranking   Club		Division Value(points)	Owner
1	  Arsenal	PRM	 621k  (+73k)	-
2	  Man Utd	PRM	 345k  (+31k)	-
3	  Chelsea	PRM	 325k  (+27k)	-
4	  Man City	PRM	 244k  (-46k)	-
5(+1)	  Tottenham	PRM	 191k  (+81k)	-
6(-1)	  Liverpool	PRM	 185k  (+57k)	-
7(+1)	  Aston Villa	PRM	 76k   (-7k)	-
8(+1)	  Everton	PRM	 75k   (+13k)	-
9(-2)	  Sunderland	PRM	 68k   (-28k)	-
10(+5)	  Newcastle	PRM	 63k   (+15.5k)	-
11(-1)	  Wolves	PRM	 59k   (+4k)	-
12	  West Ham	PRM	 51k   (-1k)	-
13(+1)	  Fulham	PRM	 49.5k (-2.5k)	-
14(+2)	  Stoke		PRM	 49k   (+7k)	-
15(-1)	  West Brom	PRM	 48k   (-1.5k)	-
16(-5)	  Birmingham	CH	 46k   (-8k)	-
17	  Blackburn	PRM	 40.5k (+3k)	-
17(+1)	  Bolton	PRM	 40.5k (+7k)	Mike Jablonski
19(+5)	  Middlesbrough	PRM	 36.5k (+21.5k)	Lionel Aguerre
20	  Blackpool	CH	 33k   (+2k)	Aidan Galashan
21(-3)	  Wigan		CH	 29k   (+5.5k)	-
22(-1)	  Burnley	CH	 27.5k (+5k)	Symon Krajnik
23(+2)	  Bristol City	PRM	 27k   (+12.5k)	King Tikki-Man
24(+18)	  Hull		PRM	 25k   (+18.75k)Phill Ewles
25(-2)	  Nottm Forest	CH	 22k   (+6.5k)	Stefan Guillermo
26(-4)	  Crystal Pal	CH	 18k   (+1.25k)	Mike Jablonski
27	  Sheff Utd	CH	 16k   (+3k)	Sergio Gonzalez
27(+6)	  QPR		CH	 16k   (+5.75k)	Long Tym Toon
29(new)	  Charlton	CH	 15.25k(-)	-
30(+1)	  Derby		CH	 14.75k(+3k)	Arthur Bach
31(new)	  Sheff Wed	CH	 13.5k (-)	-
32(-5)	  Cardiff	CH	 13k   (-)	-
33(-1)	  Leeds Utd	CH	 12.5k (+1.25k)	Abdul Al-Salami
34(+1)	  Ipswich	CH	 12k   (+2.25k)	-
35(-6)	  Leicester	CH	 11.75k(-1k)	Uncle Scrooge
35(-5)	  Reading	CH	 11.75k(-0.5k)	Coach Crane
37(-3)	  Millwall	CH	 10.75k(+0.75k)	Moon McNamee
37(-1)	  Preston	CH	 10.75k(+1.25k)	Coach Crane
39(+2)	  Portsmouth	CH	 10k   (+3.25)	Long Tym Toon
40(-2)	  Watford	CH	 9k    (+1.5k)	Sergio Gonzalez
41(-2)	  Barnsley	CH	 8.5k  (+1.25k)	Symon Krajnik
42(-2)	  Coventry	CH	 7.25k (+0.25k)	Abdul Al-Salami
42(new)	  Brighton	CH	 8.5   (-)	-
44	  Doncaster	CH	 6.75k (+1k)	-

Lionel Aguerre's picks:

1. Middlesbrough

2. Cardiff

3. Bristol City

4. Hull

5. Millwall

6. Notts Forest

7. Leeds

Just to clarify (as I'm not sure it's made entirely clear above) When our turn is up, I'm assuming you will be "rolling the dice" for us, but does this happen before we get to do any of our "turn actions", or after?

Also, how long do we get for each turn?

Just to clarify (as I'm not sure it's made entirely clear above) When our turn is up, I'm assuming you will be "rolling the dice" for us, but does this happen before we get to do any of our "turn actions", or after?

Also, how long do we get for each turn?

Club selection is now fine.

Turn actions are taken after the board game events take place - although you have a choice whether you want to risk the event or not. You will have a maximum of 2 days to reply to your turn, otherwise it is passed. If this happens three times in a row you'll be evicted from the game.

Kieran Hayden's Picks:

1. Swansea

2. Nottm Forest

3. Middlesborough

4. Cardiff

5. Ipswich

6. Bristol City

7. Norwich

8. Hull

9. Derby

10. Millwall

11. Coventry

12. Scunthorpe

13. Barnsley

14. Watford

15. Reading

Man, 15th? damn..

30 Derby CH 14.5k -

32 Norwich CH 13.25k -

33 Bristol City CH 13k -

34 Leeds Utd CH 12.75k -

35 Ipswich CH 12.5k -

36 Millwall CH 9.25k -

36 Preston CH 9.25k -

38 Swansea CH 8.75k -

39 Watford CH 7.75k -

40 Barnsley CH 7.5k -

41 Portsmouth CH 7k -

42 Coventry CH 6.75k -

43 Doncaster CH 5.5k -

43 Scunthorpe CH 5.5k -

ok my new picks

Doncaster?

Scunthorpe?

I'd rather you'd picked the full 13 sides just in case, but seeing as Scunthorpe have one lower-pecking order pick and Doncaster haven't even had that, it's likely you'll end up with one of these anyway.

Still waiting on Moonshine and bergtaur to make their picks and then we can begin.

The order of the random draft to select clubs will be the same order in which the game turns will go around. However, in order to decide whereabouts in that chain we begin, the classic board game rule comes into play. All fifteen players will roll their virtual die, and whoever rolls the highest number will begin. In case of a tie, all of those with the highest number will roll again, and so on, until we have a winner. Understand? Right.

Long Tym Toon to roll first... and it's a 1! Unfortunate for him, but he leads the way at the moment...

And now Stefan Guillermo... It's a SIX! He's definitely going to be in with a shout of being the first to play.

Coach Crane follows this up with a 4, not good enough unfortunately.

And then Uncle Scrooge die is a little tight - only giving him 3.

Sergio Gonzalez is up next, and rolls a 3 himself.

3 is the magic number it seems, popping up for Symon Krajnik too. Not sure he'll be thrilled with that, however.

It's back up to a 4 for Lionel Aguerre, still nobody close to challenging Guillermo.

Abdul Al-Salami won't be changing that, he only gets a 2.

Phill Ewles now... Another SIX! He's got a good chance of starting.

King Tikki-Man with a big, fat 1. Still, if Phill Ewles wins, he will be going second.

Aidan Galashan gets a 1 as well, not according to the masterplan there.

A slight improvement for Moon McNamee - only a 2 though.

A third SIX! Arthur Bach with this one.

Mike Jablonski picks up a 4, that won't be good enough for him unfortunately.

And a four as well for Kieran Hayden, concluding the first round.

Into the second round we go then...

Stefan Guillermo was our first man to get a six, and this time he gets... a 3. Disappointing.

And now it's Phill Ewles. He rolls a 5! The first five to come out today, and he's in pole position now.

Arthur Bach stands in his way, needing a five or six. But it's a 1!

---

Phill Ewles it is who will begin! And he'll do it now, rolling for a third time. It's a 2, so he moves to square 2, which is blank. No option to pick an event card for Phill, but he still has all other turn options open to him. 4000 points in the bank, waiting on Chimpos now then.

Phill Ewles it is who will begin! And he'll do it now, rolling for a third time. It's a 2, so he moves to square 2, which is blank. No option to pick an event card for Phill, but he still has all other turn options open to him. 4000 points in the bank, waiting on Chimpos now then.

Well it's nice to start if a little daunting, I don't think there;s much I can do with 4k, unless Alex Fergason wants a big pay cut and another challenge before he hangs up his teacups!

I'll finish my go doing nothing.

Yep, you're right. And King Tikki-Man rolls a 3, moving him to square 3 of course, and our first possible event of the game! It's yellow, so that means a club based event, which will directly affect the player's club; in this case Bristol City. Barry, do want to risk taking an event card or pass it and continue with your turn?

Just to remind you, the negative event probability is between 25% and 40% for the four event types - so you may say it's a risk worth taking.

im definatley a risk taker.. so i'll take the event card please :).... knowing my luck it will be bad :L

In the nicest way possible...i hope the luck is against you :) Up the READING :)

PS: Are the events already all written? Or do you just randomly pick?

In the nicest way possible...i hope the luck is against you :) Up the READING :)

PS: Are the events already all written? Or do you just randomly pick?

If it were me, seeing as there's 4 types of events, I'd write up the events and then map them to a deck of cards :p

I suspect things won't really start to get interesting until people have started passing go.

We've got our first card taker! Just so you're all aware, I'm using that same online dice server (hey, I'm lazy!) which I have mapped to a list of pre-written events. I'm not going to reveal what the value of the die roll is; just the event itself.

Okay, so, King Tikki-Man - A wealthy fan donates £10M to your club

Bristol City's bank balance will therefore be increased by this amount. Is there anything else you wish to do on this turn?

In that case, it means Aidan Galashan is up, and he rolls a... 1. Not going to get him very far around the board but it does mean he is eligible for a point based event! AidanofLFC, would you like to risk it?

Aidan Galashan - You win a Harry Redknapp lookalike competition. You win 15000 points

Aidan, is there anything else you wish to do on your turn? Especially considering you now have a rather handy 26750 points.

Archived