It has all gone tits up.

I've had a look on the site and I am not sure where I should post this, if it doesn't go here please tell me where I should post this. If it does go here then any advice is welcome.

Started a lower league game with St. Albans. Playing in League 1 at the start of my 5th season.

Thought I would struggle in League 2 the previous year but I didn't have any major problems until my players apparently just forgot how to play football. I had been using the same tactics the entire time and they just stopped working. The wheels really came off at the end of the season (I won something like 1 of the last 8 - After being in the running for the league title with about 10 games to go).

Went up and thought I would be able to attract better players but this has not been the case. Only interest I get is from mediocre regens and any decent player will ask something stupid like 10-15 grand a week, I can't even get any decent youngsters on loan. My tactics weren't working again so I had to change them however that has done nothing to improve my luck. Played first 9 games and have 5 points to show for it.

I was enjoying the game but its quickly starting to grate on me. Little things like conceding a penalty in 3 games in a row or my keeper being beaten from range constantly when he has not had that problem in the past is also doing my head in. I want to carry on with the game but think I am going to need some help.

Can anyone advise me on what approach I should take in regards tactics, what kind of player does well in League 1 and what stat range I should be looking to attract?

Would appreciate the help thanks.

i have worthing united in league 1 i got them from level 10 in 9 seasons i have alot of dutch players and 2 on loan from gunners my team is 8th in the league, i know what u mean bout high wages for decent players, just stick with it , i use mr houghs formation with 3 strikers up top and it works really well have already beaten watfordd away and portsmouth but some times against crap teams i slip up

First of all, don't give up.

Either create a new tactic from scratch or modify one of your existing tactics to make it more defensive and look to counter attack. Have a defensive midfielder or two who close down a lot to try and stop players getting space in that 25/30 yard region so they can't get shots away, play fairly narrow to further reduce the space in the middle of the park, try and play a simpler passing game so that you make better use of the ball when you have it and look to break quickly and catch them off guard.

Now one thing I sometimes do if I'm really struggling in a league is (now I'm gonna get shouted at by somebody for this but oh well!) is to rest a lot of my first XI for matches against the top teams. If I know I don't really have a chance against them but my next match is against a team that I should be able to get something out of then I will try to make sure that my best XI is fully fit by giving them a rest instead of playing in the hard match. Now I know that in reality you would probably be fined for this but that isn't in the game so I don't see a problem with it personally.

Good luck staying in League 1!

I myself have just had the same problem after getting to League 1 with back to back promotions with AFC Wimbledon.

I stuck with the tactics i had used in the first 2 seasons, had a poor first couple of months but from then onwards was pretty decent and ended up finishing 15th.

Now this season looks even harder as i've made mistakes in wages and budget, so i would say stick with it but always look to the future.

It would be expected for you to run into problems if you struggled at the end of the season whilst in league 2. League 1 is a totally different league but if you're finding the game hard you could always 'cheat' and look in GPTG or Tactics forums and I find watching football makes me want to play FM and makes me more motivated :thup:

Just aim to stay up for your first season, play with tactics in reserve games or in friendlies, get a parent club and steal their youngsters or if you're finding it that difficult you could always look to move on.

Don't worry, St Albans will be Champions League winners in no time :)

I was feeling exactly the same as you earlier on today, I got Bromley into League 1 with successive promotions from the Blue Square South. Have just completed my second season in League 1 and so far have finished 18th and 17th. My highest earner throughout those 2 years has been on £1,500 a week, but this season I will up it to £2,000 in order to try and push on. It is a struggle, and after having the same problems with my tactics I ended up with 4-1-3-2, which has me believing I will make the playoffs this season :)

I've had a look on the site and I am not sure where I should post this, if it doesn't go here please tell me where I should post this. If it does go here then any advice is welcome.

Started a lower league game with St. Albans. Playing in League 1 at the start of my 5th season.

Thought I would struggle in League 2 the previous year but I didn't have any major problems until my players apparently just forgot how to play football. I had been using the same tactics the entire time and they just stopped working. The wheels really came off at the end of the season (I won something like 1 of the last 8 - After being in the running for the league title with about 10 games to go).

Went up and thought I would be able to attract better players but this has not been the case. Only interest I get is from mediocre regens and any decent player will ask something stupid like 10-15 grand a week, I can't even get any decent youngsters on loan. My tactics weren't working again so I had to change them however that has done nothing to improve my luck. Played first 9 games and have 5 points to show for it.

I was enjoying the game but its quickly starting to grate on me. Little things like conceding a penalty in 3 games in a row or my keeper being beaten from range constantly when he has not had that problem in the past is also doing my head in. I want to carry on with the game but think I am going to need some help.

Can anyone advise me on what approach I should take in regards tactics, what kind of player does well in League 1 and what stat range I should be looking to attract?

Would appreciate the help thanks.

hi there you cant keep to the same tactics all the time,this is your main problem.the opposition get used to you playing this way all the time.you have to tweak your tactics a little,for nearly every game you play.if you are losing the midfield battle then play more narrow.also try to play rigid.dont use to much creative freedom,especially against better teams then you.i play a slow tempo, i also play a counter attacking policy.and also work ball into box.i have also told mt strikers to place there shots,rather then blast them.i also watch the whole match,reason you can spot the oppositions weakness this way.i hope this helps.i am playing with crewe and i am doing quiete well.

hi there you cant keep to the same tactics all the time,this is your main problem.the opposition get used to you playing this way all the time.you have to tweak your tactics a little,for nearly every game you play.if you are losing the midfield battle then play more narrow.also try to play rigid.dont use to much creative freedom,especially against better teams then you.i play a slow tempo, i also play a counter attacking policy.and also work ball into box.i have also told mt strikers to place there shots,rather then blast them.i also watch the whole match,reason you can spot the oppositions weakness this way.i hope this helps.i am playing with crewe and i am doing quiete well.

Bold = Myth

What works for one manager/team won't necessarily work for another... Tactics do not "stop working", the AI does not "crack" your tactics or "get used" to you playing the same way. People are far too hooked up on tactics to realise that there are soooooooooo many other things that could be going wrong. Maybe your CM's are lightweights and getting knocked of the ball by the bigger, stronger, faster opposition CM's. Maybe your winger is being outpaced by the full-back who also seems to be stronger, fitter, etc... Maybe your players are nervous, or lacking confidence or over-confident, or injured, unfit, tired, lazy, unhappy...

The game isn't just about the best "tactics" - if all you concentrate on is that, then you will lose games..

Cheers for the feedback guys. I managed to turn it around and will be in League 1 for another season (barring a complete balls up). I tried a couple of tactics over 4/5 games (clearly not giving them enough of a chance) before going back to my original tactics and changing my team talks (having had a better team than the rest in the previous 3 divisions lead me to misplace my belief in my players). Signed rhys murphy on a free in December (looks too good for league 1) and barring a disaster this season will be looking to sign 2/3 more quality players and try and push on for promotion next season.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Besides all that Lazaru5 said and that i agree.

What sometimes happen is that your opposition have all kind of different tactics and sometimes you stumble upon a tactic that takes advantage of your weaknesses. Or that reduces your strongest points.

Archived