Solid 4-1-3-2 formation (idevices)

I have always played 433 since FMi 2010, however i believe this 4-1-3-2 formation is defensively better and still creates the chance's of 4-3-3 as well as dominating possession.

This formation is a proper "passing" formation, building from the back with two ball playing defenders, generally i like the DC's to have at least passing as 10. If you want to build a team around a solid formation, this is a must try.

You can play anyone along the central midfield, even wingers as long as CM appears either dark or light green in the CM position.

DOWNLOAD

Formation

4-1-3-2

Attacking

Short

Normal

Yes

No

No

No

GK

WBk BPD BPD WBk

BWM

CM CM CM

CmF Cmf

I have tested the formation with Barnsley, in season one i won the Championship, only signing Vassell, Davenport, Ball and Roseneir on free's.

In season two i finished 4th in the premiership, my only signings were Miles Addison, Fraizer campbell, Karl Henry and Tim Krul.

Give it a try...

Gave this a quick try out with Perth Glory, I was 1st but ran into a sticky patch. I kept record of Results, Shots & Possession which should show how well it worked.

Gold Coast Utd (Away) - Won 3-0

Possession 55%

14 Shots

Newcastle Jets (Home) - Won 2-0

Possession 53%

Shots 10

Sydney (Away) - Drew 0-0

Possession 50%

Shots 16

Seems decent enough, will keep going and see how I finish the season.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Works well, as does my personal favourite: 4-3-2-1

---------------GK---------------

--DR----DC-------DC----DL--

--------MC----MC-----MC-----

--AMR------------------AML--

--------------FC----------------

Works a treat, especially with Arsenal, Barcelona and Real Madrid. Haven't tested it on a lower team yet though.

4-1-3-2 - The in formation :). Nice work Bugel, seems very attacking.

Also congrats on your 2nd child on the way.

Cheers, certainly will have my hands full when he/she arrives. Im not bothered what it is...as long as it turns out to be a Barnsley fan (and not Wednesday fan like the wife and the in-laws)

I started trying this tactic on a new game with K R Genk. I started with mixed results in my first season, but for my second season I added some key players and won the Europa league, league and cup and on my third season I won the champions league plus everything else. I was then offered the arsenal job and won the Europa league, league in my first season and best of all in my second season I won everything including being unbeaten in the league. Great tactic

I agree Kowak, it starts slow but turns out formidable, below is my record with Newcastle in my first 12 seasons as manager. as you can see my first season was dreadfull, i didnt win once away in the league!!

IMG_0670-1.png

I agree Kowak, it starts slow but turns out formidable, below is my record with Newcastle in my first 12 seasons as manager. as you can see my first season was dreadfull, i didnt win once away in the league!!

Well, probably you managed to get a couple of great signings later on... Good tactics may give you some edge, but good players give you titles.

Well, probably you managed to get a couple of great signings later on... Good tactics may give you some edge, but good players give you titles.

The problem I have is I play the game different to anyone else. The only players I buy are "interested" ones, and attracting good players to Newcastle proved an impossible task.

I started by buying only hard working players and from the back replaced them as time went on.

Even now 15 years on there is a couple of players I want to sign but theyr simply not interested in playing in front crowds of 94,000.

***edit to formation***

I have had more success playing*

** * * * * * SC SC

** * * *MC MC MC

** * * * * * *DMC

D/ML dc dc D/MR

** * * * * * * *Gk

I also play a AMC in the middle of the midfield, however I find and mc works the best.

Great tactic, won the prem in my first year with Tottenham.

Im curious if youve tried the tactic with the striker settings different. I dont have a striker that i consider a Complete Forward. Im wondering if the tactic would still be as effective if the striker settings were taylored to the striker, but everything else the same for the other positions.

Also, do you make any changes based on the level of opposition or match location? (ie attacking mentality, counter attacks etc) i didnt change the tactic once during the last season, just want to make sure im getting the most from the tactic.

Great tactic, won the prem in my first year with Tottenham.

Im curious if youve tried the tactic with the striker settings different. I dont have a striker that i consider a Complete Forward. Im wondering if the tactic would still be as effective if the striker settings were taylored to the striker, but everything else the same for the other positions.

Also, do you make any changes based on the level of opposition or match location? (ie attacking mentality, counter attacks etc) i didnt change the tactic once during the last season, just want to make sure im getting the most from the tactic.

You have had a better start than I did with Newcastle, however they did want alot of work doing to them. I have stuck with the same formation in all of my 14 seasons, the only time I changed was in my early days, if I went 2 goals clear away I would change to defensive which worked 99/100.

I played around with the striker settings when putting it together in the beginning but stuck with two cmf's because I felt I was getting more goals.

Iv put together a little snippet of the story so far with this tactic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zpy6vXbZ8c&feature=player_embedded

The two teams are my current 1st team and my 2nd team which get me through champions league groups, second legs, league cup games (only play second team in league cup regardless of opposition. Also play them against bottom half teams at home.

This is the best formation I've ever used!

I made NO transfers in the first season at Reading apart from signing Fabio Vignaroili, a 34 y/o Italian midfielder. I won the league by 21 points with a GD of around 70!

Very nice tac. Won Championship with Middlesbrough first season (maybe not hard given their squad), second season finished mid table and won League Cup. Third season now, some great players, kicking ass in all cups (including Euro Cup) but my league form is suffering because i have a lot of trouble with away games, sometimes using Normal instead of Attacking mentality works but not always. Anyone recommend anything to plug that hole?

it depends what players you have i have just started a season with shrewsbury i have brought in a few good defenders and defensuive midfielders and have set up an attacking formation with the DM covering the defence abnd the mentality of contain and i am winning most games

Very nice tac. Won Championship with Middlesbrough first season (maybe not hard given their squad), second season finished mid table and won League Cup. Third season now, some great players, kicking ass in all cups (including Euro Cup) but my league form is suffering because i have a lot of trouble with away games, sometimes using Normal instead of Attacking mentality works but not always. Anyone recommend anything to plug that hole?

My main success started when I played either MC MC MC, or MC AMC MC in the middle of the park. My central defenders are strictly DC's (not DRC or DLC) and my wingbacks are D/ML or D/MR and not DL or DR.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

It was effective for 2011, but I found a 3-5-2 for a top team was immense. In last years version wingers were a waste of time and the best formation was 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-3 when required. Be interesting to see what this year's best formation is or whether the tactics engine actually works as real life would. Not holding my breath, needless to say.

We've made a lot of improvements in the match and packing the middle should definitely be less effective than last year.

It isn't a question of whether a tactic is or isn't effective. All attacking tactics should be effective, with the right players, if played against the right defence and defences should be able to stifle flair teams if they have the right players to do that. That's the problem, there have just been those tactics that are more effective than others with the right players. Once you find the right combination then you just play the same thing and only change it if you aren't winning by going to a plan B. All you've done previously is tweak it. So hopefully, the improvements in the match engine will work out well - obviously need to play for a season or so to see. Aside from some sexy new features, it's the one thing the game really needed.

off-topic a bit - apologies

I have always played a 4-2-3-1 formation (WBs, BPDs, BWMs, APM, IFs and a CMF) over the last few years on the iOS version.

This year I thought I'd vary the formation depending on the team's individual players - previously I have simply sold the players who did not suit the formation - so I used to sell Xavi & Iniesta as they couldn't tackle ... terrible I know !!

Juventus get a a 3-3-2-2 with Pirlo dropping deep to play between the 2 wingbacks

The old adage of not fixing something that is not broken rings true, but re-invention is great too.

Looking forward to Bugel's next tactical offering ... hope it's as good as the last one .. no pressure :D

• SI Staff

Just wondering how those playing this year are finding results and tactics so far, we spent a lot of time working on making the match calculations more realistic and more representative of the manager's tactics so it would be great to know how people are finding this aspect of the game.

Have been using 4132 with United having played around with 41221(wingers in aml amr) and 4312. I nearly always play balanced short with aggressive tackling and pressing. I tend to use offside trap aswell.

GK

FB DC DC FB

DLM

APM BWN CM

CMF CMF

Now I did use United but team did click very quickly and ran away with league, though we dont do aswell vs 4411 or any big team wide formation, we still made it to FA cup final and Quarters of Champs League (narrow loss to Barce who won it) and won league cup and league by may

Just wondering how those playing this year are finding results and tactics so far, we spent a lot of time working on making the match calculations more realistic and more representative of the manager's tactics so it would be great to know how people are finding this aspect of the game.

Well my formations I used last year now dont work as well...just changing formations a lot to find one I like. Not settled on one yet though.

Tried a few of the "uber" tactics from last years FMH (2,2,3,3 - 2,2,2,1,3) and a few others that used to exploit the omnipresence of Wing-backs to pack midfield and they seem to leave me wide open to all wingers. Even with my succesful 4132 its play thru the middle that gets my goals not constant wing play from the fullbacks, so overall seems much improved !

• SI Staff
Tried a few of the "uber" tactics from last years FMH (2,2,3,3 - 2,2,2,1,3) and a few others that used to exploit the omnipresence of Wing-backs to pack midfield and they seem to leave me wide open to all wingers. Even with my succesful 4132 its play thru the middle that gets my goals not constant wing play from the fullbacks, so overall seems much improved !

Good to hear. :) We did mainly focus on balancing those tactics that packed the midfield - the 4-1-3-2 was one we paid particularly attention to, so hopefully we're getting the balance right now.

• 11 months later...

This tactic is working a treat once again this year. Once you have built a team around it its formidable.

Stockport P42 W27 D7 L8 F85 A34 PTS 88 (promoted as champions of Skrill North)

Stockport P6 W2 D2 L2 F10 A6 PTS 8 (resigned after 6 games)

Bristol Rovers P46 W28 D9 L9 F98 A60 PTS 93 (took over on their 11th game 3rd from bottom. Promoted as Champions)

Bristol Rovers P19 W10 D4 L5 F51 A37 PTS 34 (4th after 19 games, offered Bristol City job who were 7th and had a far better team)

Bristol City P46 W31 D7 L8 F109 A49 PTS 100 (went on an excellent run of wins, however finished 3rd on 100 points. Bournemouth and Leeds both had 102. Won playoffs in style. Also won JPT)

Present..

Sitting top of championship after 12 games on 26 points.

Manager Stats ...P166 W 66% D17.5% L16.3%....scoring 2.39pg and conceding 1.22pg.

Spent 3.2m

Sold 9.5m

All my signing have only been "interested players" Stockport and Bristol Rovers were very average teams. Baldock destroyed L1 with Bristol City.

Archived