Role calculator

Having taken a break from FM, as I wasn't too impressed with 11.2, I've returned to the game.

I used to have a player role calulator on my desktop, not online nor an edexcel file (which are the ones I've found after searching). I can't seem to find it anymore on the net. It was a great tool and I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of it?

Cheers.

This is for FM 2010 (should be the same) and it's in spanish, if you don't understand a word even with google translator, ask to me xD

Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Argentina

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JNB04UZW

No es eso (hablo español) ;D

It's not this, it was for FM11 and it wasn't the edexcel version (which I don't like). It was a bootable application.

Anyone else?

edexcel ?

No, it wasn't in edexcel. That was a different one I had but never took to it.

It had three options to import player data, the way that was best was saving a text file of the players attributes using crtrl + P and then uploading them to it. You put in your formation and it gave you players best roles etc.

It calculates what position a player would be best in.

Forgive me for saying, but isn't figuring out what position a player is best for the managers job, therefore one of the principle parts of playing this game??

Only asking!!

No, it wasn't in edexcel. That was a different one I had but never took to it.

It had three options to import player data, the way that was best was saving a text file of the players attributes using crtrl + P and then uploading them to it. You put in your formation and it gave you players best roles etc.

Yeah, you're missing my point: WTF is edexcel?

@col_utd Well i was going to say somthing like that but didn't want to break balls. Looks like it has a few other features as well.

would be handy to test out new formations etc.

No ball breaking here my friend!

Everyone can play the game the way they choose, I'm just confused as to why someone would want a app/program to tell you where to play a player, or these genie scouts I've read about telling you the PA of a player??

Yeah, you're missing my point: WTF is edexcel?

I meant excel sorry. :)

Also, anyone who comes here to comment on 'It's cheating'. Go play on a motorway. It's a handy tool for when you don't know the team too well and you're with a very obscure team.

That has an "ods" as well or is that the same? if so. excuse the lack of knowledge and I will butt out :)

I appreciate any replies, don't worry.

No that's not it I'm afraid. I downloaded it as a folder and it had a lot of files in it with the bootable program in it. I wish I could give more information but it's hard to remember unfortunately.

Welcome :)

For those who havent seen it before, I don't use it consistently as I find it takes an awful lot of time to analyse a team but it has certainly thrown up some surprises and seems to work in a similar way to the game itself - man utd fans may be surprised if they put fabio into it for example, poor poor left back attributes wise, but makes for a great winger if retrained! Helps with finding roles to suit certain players too. There's more about the guy who developed it on the link I put above, all credit to him etc.

Well, it's more direct and precise way, nothing wrong. In tactics setting in the game you also can look at the attributes highlighted for each position and role and you can choose which to be suitable according to your general evaluation.

Welcome :)

For those who havent seen it before, I don't use it consistently as I find it takes an awful lot of time to analyse a team but it has certainly thrown up some surprises and seems to work in a similar way to the game itself - man utd fans may be surprised if they put fabio into it for example, poor poor left back attributes wise, but makes for a great winger if retrained! Helps with finding roles to suit certain players too. There's more about the guy who developed it on the link I put above, all credit to him etc.

Just downloaded it and i dont understand it. can someone explain to me how to use it?

It's a little tricky at first, there are instructions on the site though? Far too much for me to type out here though, unfortunately it's not the easiest program to get to grips with but it doesn't take long to become familiar. I only tend to use it now and then, it's good at highlighting quickly for instance a players best player type and role, really helpful for central defenders and wingers, can bring them to life! There is a more in depth thread on this tool somewhere on the 'editors hideaway' board I believe...

if i import all the player data from my team would it identify the right formations and everything? cant find that on the website.

No it doesn't really help you with formations etc. How I used it (haven't used it on my current save I'll admit though) was that I couldn't decide for the life of me how to play: wide? Narrow? Wingers? Didn't have much money to buy anyone so I imported all of my players, recorded in excel their 5 or so best types/roles (very important, a player who is good as a support winger may not necessarily be good as an attacking one!) and then looked at the results to find patterns.

Try it with a few players, for example I'll use marek hamsik as he's a strange un on FM. His natural position is MC, but the analyser will tell you his best position is a trequartista and then a deep lying forward (I think, writing this from memory, something like this anyway!). Obviously neither of these roles are good for an mc so I made the decision to retrain him as a striker and he scored 30+ goals the following season.

Not all players should be retrained but I've had some good success with this. Fable at united is another example, left back is about his 12th best position so I retrained him as a winger and in game he was playing AML for brazil!

These are the exceptions however, I don't for a minute suggest you retrain every player, what you should do is look at roles etc that a few of your players can play well and then fit your tactic to it. All of your mc's may have different 'best roles' but their second choice could all be the same, look for trends like this. After looking over my whole team I finished with a 4-2-3-1 formation and was very successful with it. Playing players in their best roles can have a massive massive impact on performances. It's using this tool that helped me focus more on attributes and has helped me get the most out of my players.

A lot of the people playing this game impose their formations/tactics on the players, something I've learned that with hindsight maybe isn't the best approach, you have to work with what you've got.

Chelsea irl might be a good example of this, ancelloti played the diamond with milan successfully for a long time, brought a similar thing to Chelsea but whilst it's worked in patches it just doesn't quite fit. Explains why players such as romanced at Bolton suddenly come good too, change of position/role can have a significant impact, just as it can in fm.

No it doesn't really help you with formations etc. How I used it (haven't used it on my current save I'll admit though) was that I couldn't decide for the life of me how to play: wide? Narrow? Wingers? Didn't have much money to buy anyone so I imported all of my players, recorded in excel their 5 or so best types/roles (very important, a player who is good as a support winger may not necessarily be good as an attacking one!) and then looked at the results to find patterns.

Try it with a few players, for example I'll use marek hamsik as he's a strange un on FM. His natural position is MC, but the analyser will tell you his best position is a trequartista and then a deep lying forward (I think, writing this from memory, something like this anyway!). Obviously neither of these roles are good for an mc so I made the decision to retrain him as a striker and he scored 30+ goals the following season.

Not all players should be retrained but I've had some good success with this. Fable at united is another example, left back is about his 12th best position so I retrained him as a winger and in game he was playing AML for brazil!

These are the exceptions however, I don't for a minute suggest you retrain every player, what you should do is look at roles etc that a few of your players can play well and then fit your tactic to it. All of your mc's may have different 'best roles' but their second choice could all be the same, look for trends like this. After looking over my whole team I finished with a 4-2-3-1 formation and was very successful with it. Playing players in their best roles can have a massive massive impact on performances. It's using this tool that helped me focus more on attributes and has helped me get the most out of my players.

A lot of the people playing this game impose their formations/tactics on the players, something I've learned that with hindsight maybe isn't the best approach, you have to work with what you've got.

Chelsea irl might be a good example of this, ancelloti played the diamond with milan successfully for a long time, brought a similar thing to Chelsea but whilst it's worked in patches it just doesn't quite fit. Explains why players such as romanced at Bolton suddenly come good too, change of position/role can have a significant impact, just as it can in fm.

thanks mate, i hope i havn't made your fingers ache after writing all of that. I'v been playing FM for a couple of months didn't really understand the tactics and everything but now i have this role calculator i understand what each role is and have been more successful whilst using it.

Nah, my fingers aren't aching but I've just noticed the iPad's autocorrect of fabio->fable and elmander->romanced and that's made my balls ache a little >sigh<

Glad it's working for you though, after I changed my formation and they got used to it performances (and results) improved massively, make sure you keep a balance in the team though. I started with an advanced playmaker and trequartista based on ratings which I quickly realized was quite dumb (both roles very similar), just common sense really! :)

I started with an advanced playmaker and trequartista based on ratings which I quickly realized was quite dumb (both roles very similar), just common sense really! :)

Made the same mistake here! :( thanks for the help mate and when I'm ready i hope i see you on FMLive.

I created my own spreadsheet for this.

Very useful indeed.

I've got a 2* striker knocking lots of goals in for Bristol Rovers.

Wouldn't have looked at him normally because of his poor star rating - but his attributes fit his Advanced Forward role perfectly when entered into my spreadsheet.

I wrote a spreadsheet that did this. It was very useful when I was trying to get the hang of selection & tactics, now I'm more instinctive.

As others have said, you have to consider how players will work together in combination. Some combinations produce the highest numbers but just don't work.

I wrote a spreadsheet that did this. It was very useful when I was trying to get the hang of selection & tactics, now I'm more instinctive.

As others have said, you have to consider how players will work together in combination. Some combinations produce the highest numbers but just don't work.

Yeah i had a monster spreadsheet going for this too when i got into it, bit like you now though i go with my instincts more now i've got a bit more confident with the tactics etc and fitting players together!

Archived