Football Manager Podcast March 28th edition out now

• SI Staff

For those who don't know already, we (SI) do a weekly Football Manager podcast now, which is available through Itunes, mainly about football, but with some FM and FML stuff thrown in for good measure.

The final podcast of the series, which was recorded on 28th March, is now available.

It features Miles hosting, with guests James Olley from the Evening Standard and Craig Bloomfield from Loaded, alonside producers Laura and Nick.

This week we're talking about all the current big topics in football and answering some questions sent in from the listeners.

Don't forget that you can subscribe to the podcast, completely free of charge, through Itunes, and can get old episodes of it from there too.

You do not need an Ipod to listen to the podcast, as you can listen to it in the Itunes client, using any other media playing software, or any other machine capable of playing MP3's.

There's also a Facebook group for the podcast at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6697826331&ref=mf

The podcast will return in a couple of months, and there will be little updates in the meanwhile when there's stuff to talk about...

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

For those who don't know already, we (SI) do a weekly Football Manager podcast now, which is available through Itunes, mainly about football, but with some FM and FML stuff thrown in for good measure.

The final podcast of the series, which was recorded on 28th March, is now available.

It features Miles hosting, with guests James Olley from the Evening Standard and Craig Bloomfield from Loaded, alonside producers Laura and Nick.

This week we're talking about all the current big topics in football and answering some questions sent in from the listeners.

Don't forget that you can subscribe to the podcast, completely free of charge, through Itunes, and can get old episodes of it from there too.

You do not need an Ipod to listen to the podcast, as you can listen to it in the Itunes client, using any other media playing software, or any other machine capable of playing MP3's.

There's also a Facebook group for the podcast at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6697826331&ref=mf

The podcast will return in a couple of months, and there will be little updates in the meanwhile when there's stuff to talk about...

I'm certainly no technophone, but I think I'm too old for terms like 'Podcasts', icon_frown.gif so here goes a stupid question:

Do I need an I-Pod to play one? Or is it just a fancy term for a standard audio download? I don't really understand the idea of them. Can someone who's a bit younger than me explain the concept?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VonBlade:

It's an MP3. You don't need an iPod at all. It's just a fancy "in" term for mp3s. Beats me why but there it is icon_smile.gif

So if you have media player (which you will have) then it'll play just fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent, thanks. icon14.gif I've always avoided "podcasts" as I've linked their name to I-Pods, something I've never owned and probably never will (My phone has a 2GB card and some headphones, what do I need an I-Pod for?). Should just call them MP3s and be done with it!

Anyway, will probably download loads of them now I know not to be scared of them, starting with this one just as soon as I get home from work today. icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

It should be available through Itunes I believe for those who would like to get it that way, but you do not need an Ipod to listen to it.

As has been said, it's just an MP3. But these are most popular through Itunes, hence it being called a podcast.

Actually the format is m4a icon_razz.gif

Is there any chance of this being released in a higher quality? 32kbps 22kHz just doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid, I can't listen to audio this poor anymore. I can understand you probably want to keep the filesizes down but broadbands pretty fast these days, how about a low and high quality link for each show? Between 96-128kbps and 44kHz would do the job for a high quality link really.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mallen102000:

3:21 until the first Luton dig, wouldn't expect it any other way icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Outstanding, good work Miles !

U orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrns ! icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

muncherdave - at some point in the future, yes. This was our first one, and if they go well, we'll start doing them a bit more professionally with more than one mic icon_wink.gif

superman_uk123 - fair point about the closing date. Next Thursday lunchtime. Will make sure I mention that next time. Name and address would be good.

STANNY08 - they should be weekly, in a perfect world. No RSS feed yet, but we'll look to set one up if they are popular and we keep going...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It should be available through Itunes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Works fine with Itunes. I'm listening to it as I type.

• SI Staff

pretty good for a first attempt, worked well but seamed rather biased towards the premiership and champions league, maybe touch on the ain issues outside the top flight (ie Leeds coming back to mid table already despitr 15 point deduction) and more general topics like the idea of only the captain being able to talk to the ref etc

Pretty good though and I'll give it a listen next week

• SI Staff

mallen102000 - please send a mail with that in. Good, and valid, feedback, same as me trying to talk about the Scottish teams a bit.

What we want to do in the future is get some of the researchers (head researchers and maybe some club ones) to talk about their countries and clubs, but that will require some technology on our phone system that isn't sorted yet...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

What we want to do in the future is get some of the researchers (head researchers and maybe some club ones) to talk about their countries and clubs, but that will require some technology on our phone system that isn't sorted yet... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps you could just use something like Skype and record the conversation with a sound recording program or wave editor? I don't use Skype myself but I hear its reasonable for making calls with, I have no idea what sort of quality you can get with it either though. Depends on how decent a microphone they have as well I suppose, but just an idea in case you haven't thought of it

I thought that this was a good start; I enjoyed listening to it and I will certainly listen to the next one.

My favourite parts were the FM related discussion, for example the banter about FM Live, and I'd like to have heard a bit more of this.

Perhaps you could also introduce a few regular items in the podcast to give it a bit more structure, e.g. invite listeners to send in questions/comments and spend 10 minutes discussing any interesting ones at the end of the podcast, or get a developer on each week to talk about their area of the game.

Im surprised by the lack of feedback for this as i think it could be very successful; thats not to say theres not some way to go.

Someone mentioned already that it is an m4a, and i have to say this standard quality is nearly unbearable for me.

Added to this the factor of one mic (mentioned by miles) and a little bit of training for you all that when one person speaks the others must wait their turn to avoid it sounding really messy and through this quality you just cant understand it!

I think theres some good caracters that will develop if you do more but because your a bunch of blokes talking about football it does occasionally drift into what sounds like a 'pub recording'.

I think perhaps some structured features based on the weeks football, perhaps inplementing some media interview recordings - the curtis davies one would have perfect this week for your discussion. Or looking down the leagues to someone who has pulled a howler - a stat of a lower league player that has managed to score a hatric of own goals or something funny!

It may gimmick it up slightly ut it would drag it away from the 'pub conversation' i mentioned erlier, and turn into more of a structured 'radio' type podcast. (any other ideas :S !?!)

On the whole i would def download if the quality was better and it was broken down into some features that i looked forward to listening too, as it is i have these coversations with my friends every week and dont know if i would listen to this for an hour every week.

Great start though guys, all the best for this space for the future!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

It should be available through Itunes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean that it is downloadable from iTunes or the download above can be played in iTunes?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

If it is meant to be available via iTunes then I haven't got a clue where it is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh, that's why I asked as I searched both the Sports and Games categories and found nothing.

It would be great if I could get it from iTunes, as I could subscribe to the podcast and it would automatically download the new one when it becomes available.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

If it is meant to be available via iTunes then I haven't got a clue where it is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh, that's why I asked as I searched both the Sports and Games categories and found nothing.

It would be great if I could get it from iTunes, as I could subscribe to the podcast and it would automatically download the new one when it becomes available.

Great podcast. Loved the set up as if it was just a chat down the pub about football and whatever takes your fancy with no set script as such.

Just a shame you didn't mention Beattie for England when discussing the England strikers icon_wink.gif Top scoring English striker, playing and scoring every week. Must do better SI team icon_wink.gif

Keep up the good work icon14.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sonic2006:

Can we have a day in rhe life of Ter?

Bit like the Gervais podcasts with Karl Pilington ( ? ) Ter being Karl obviously icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'd have to change the name of them from podcasts to borecasts if that was the case icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darth Rob:

Is there a transcript for it available, my speakers haven't worked for months, god knows why, but I don't want to miss out on all the juicy gos' </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Ditto. I'm hard of hearing so I can't really hear it very well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darth Rob:

Is there a transcript for it available, my speakers haven't worked for months, god knows why, but I don't want to miss out on all the juicy gos' </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Ditto. I'm hard of hearing so I can't really hear it very well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DjFeyenoord:

Miles, were you nervous? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He does sound nervous doesn't he?

His voice is like stuttery, and when I'm nervous my voice goes stuttery icon_frown.gif

Archived