Highest Goalkeeping Rating for an Outfield Player

I was wondering that too (a while back), so I looked up Phil Jagielka in the game, Phil is a damn fine keeper IRL but in the game he had (has? - I play FM07 still) a keeper rating of 1... or 2.

Is this an area SI simply overlook?

Don't they try to find out which players play well in nets as well as outfield?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Starr_Man5:

I was wondering that too (a while back), so I looked up Phil Jagielka in the game, Phil is a damn fine keeper IRL but in the game he had (has? - I play FM07 still) a keeper rating of 1... or 2.

Is this an area SI simply overlook?

Don't they try to find out which players play well in nets as well as outfield? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's a researching problem ... it just happens

I remember a few years ago, (when Sheff Utd went on 2 good runs in the Cups), well Warnock refused to put a GK on the bench. Ohil Jag wasn't even the 1st or 2nd choice outfield player to go in goal.

1st choice if the GK got injured or carded, was Paul Peschisolido, (or however you spell it). He was tiny but an excellent GK. I can't remember who the 2nd choice was, but it still wasn't Phil Jag.

does it really matter? you'd be mad to put a outfield player in goal and i can't really see there being that much different between the out field players in terms of keeper ability.

i remember in previuos versions you could filter outfield players by their keeper stats from the player search screen.

whether this was a bug or not i dont know but it was certainly interesting.

dont know if you can still do it in this version either.

I think it does matter Postie. If you get a keeper sent off and you don't happen to have a keeper on the bench, or you've already made all your subs then you are forced to put an outfield player in nets. The problem is that no outfield players will put in a decent performance in nets, whereas in reality some players are decent keepers who will go in nets for a bit in training just for a laugh; I read an interview somewhere that Rooney does that.

I accept that you wouldn't want to start an outfield player in nets, but it seems that if you are forced to put one in for the last 15-20mins you are guaranteed to concede a goal if your opponents get a shot on target. This is what irritates me, outfield players know how to tackle and how to close down, so at the very least they would be able to come rushing out and block a striker, or make saves that are hit close to them. Ok, you don't expect him to be a super keeper, or to save everything, but it would be a lot more realistic if some outfield players actually had enough ability to occassionally save a shot! Usually the reason people are no good in goal is that they can't command their area, claim crosses etc. Shot stopping is simply about reactions and reflexes, so outfield players should be a lot better than they are in game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rooney is genuinely supposed to be a very good keeper too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I seem to recall reading or possibly hearing on motd or a similar programme that wayne rooney actually started his career as a goalie. So I think he should probably have a better rating than he does.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trekman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rooney is genuinely supposed to be a very good keeper too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I seem to recall reading or possibly hearing on motd or a similar programme that wayne rooney actually started his career as a goalie. So I think he should probably have a better rating than he does. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, there was pictures of England Training sessions at the World Cup 2006 and he was always in goals - apparently he loves playing the position and he is very good judging by some of his shot-stopping.

Archived