David Beckham to Barcelona? A no go according to his agent...

I'm just playing a quick game with Barca until the new patch is finally released. Beckham has left LA Galaxy so I thought I'd bring him in as a deep lying playmaker for a season until my new regen looks ready for a bit part role. I approached him but was told by his agent he had no interest in signing. Ok fair enough, but no other team has shown any interest in him in the 9 months he was released so I thought I'd have another go. Same result. I'm a bit confused as his 'general happiness' says 'Looking for a new club'. Maybe its the fact he played for Real Madrid but I wouldve thought he'd jump at the chance to sign for the best team in the world as a key player. In the database he hasnt got retiring after current spell at club ticked so I cant work out why he wont sign. Any way to persuade him to join me guys?

I checked and he doesnt have Barca set as a disliked club in the database but does have Real as a favourite. While he was at LA Galaxy I tried all the praising, declaring my interest etc. Still didnt work, now I cant talk to him as hes a free agent. Wont even accept my trial offer.

Haha your probably not far off, I'm now Villa manager after leaving Barca after three seaons of winning everything. Trying to build an all English side, he still wont sign. Just gonna give up now, bad news is I want to do a long save with Celtic at some point when the patch comes out and he was my number one target.

It's seems to be the case with some high profile old players that get released. I had the same with Frank Lampard and Rio Ferdinand. Both were released from their clubs on a free (yeah, like that would ever happen), scouts said they'd be interested, I even negotiated a deal with Rio which he was happy with initially. But a few days later he came back and refused, giving no reason. Tried once again and got the same sequence of events. He then spent the best part of a year as a free agent before becoming a manager.

You need to approach Victoria. He does whatever she says.

Sounds like a new feature next year! You now have to talk to the transfer target's family and convince them. If they don't like you, then the player won't sign for your team.

I think he wont move to any team, not even Man Utd as on my game he has 'looking to see out the remainder of his playing days at the club'. My understanding of this is that even if he is released, he will not sign for anyone.

Have you tried to raise this as potencial bug. For me I find odd, that unemployed player would say no to any top club that approaches them.

Its quite likely that a player with a high level of loyalty would say no to a team that is one of his previous teams rivals In real life and in the game.

Still, the player is currently unemployable and at the end of his career, if club like Barça or Totenham or Porto or Benfica, or Aston Villa approached him he would jump to the chance, despite the fact previously in his career played against adversaries.

If things happen as you described then it would be impossible for Transfer like Figo, that went from Barcelona to Real Madrid.

Still, the player is currently unemployable and at the end of his career, if club like Barça or Totenham or Porto or Benfica, or Aston Villa approached him he would jump to the chance, despite the fact previously in his career played against adversaries.

If things happen as you described then it would be impossible for Transfer like Figo, that went from Barcelona to Real Madrid.

Would you therefore say Figo had a high level of loyalty? Another example is Gallas to Spurs after playing for Arsenal (also Sol Campbell)

Players who have high attributes for loyalty are less likely to make these kind of switches because they are loyal to their current (and presumably previous) clubs. I'm not saying that it never happens, but dont be surprised when particularly loyal players (like Beckham) refuse such moves.

It's an area in which the agents need work for FM12. If that scenario played out in real life, even if Becks told his agent he had no interest in Barcelona, I'm sure the club would still say "Well, would he change his mind if we offered him x amount per week? As we'd really like to sign him" and the agent would then relay that information onto David. It might not influence his decision, but I hate how you can't even have that part of the conversation if the agent says so. At times, FM11 portrays a player's interest in a far too black and white manner.

So you basically you rather want to be unemployed then to play for a team that was your rival a few years ago and no longer is now and is the only club interested in hiring you?

Its hardly a choice between unemployed and having a job in a realistic sense though. A professional footballer will earn more than enough money over the course of their career to be able to turn down one last season if its going to **** off the fans of a former club.

I dont think its right that Beckham would be available on a free at all, a player of his stature would always have options on the table. The actual issue for me is that there are no other clubs in for him. But if there were a few clubs in for him, given his level of loyalty, I'd expect him to not go to Man City or Barcelona and to sign for someone else.

Given Beckham's loyalty, I would be surprised if he signed for Barcelona/Man City/Liverpool.

In fact, if he did, I would almost think it's a bug.

Similarly, I would be surprised if Gerrard signs for United or if Scholes/Giggs/Neville goes to Liverpool when they become a free.

100% certain Scholes/Giggs/Neville would choose retirement over signing for Liverpool.

you are forgetting something here ....

when you approach a player or a coach and he doesn't want to negotiate or you didn't agreed on a contract , he dislikes you and never signs for you , i checked it by fmrte and i find very very very rediculus ...

Archived