A really cool new feature!

I know there is a whole big thread of wishes for next FM, BUT, this is really cool and i think it deserves a thread (oh, well, not really but atleast someone can REALLY NOTICE it if it's a new thread instead of posting it in a 60 page thread).

So, the feature i thought about is regarding the managers. Why you can only manage the team you select ? i mean why YOU and not a legend of the club or something like that. Now i know that i can choose my own name/age whatever, but for instance if i want to be KENNY DALGLISH and manage Liverpool, i don't want there to be another king kenny (the real one) in-game. I want to be him in the game, and not the REAL ME so to speak. I think this would be a great addition, and if you decide to implement this, you should take into considerations that reputation is involved too and we need some new media texts like this headline: "THE RETURN OF THE KING" or something cool like that if you decide to be one of the club legends.

I think this should be easy and a cool addition instead of you begining your dream career.

It's all about me. I don't want to play as someone else :D

You could kind of do this yourself as it is. Just delete your chosen legend from the database and start up your new game with his name. Then get FMRTE and edit a few things here and there ;)

Think outside the box. It will be YOUR CHOICE, an addition not something you MUST do. If you wanna be "YOU", you can be YOU, if you wanna be someone else, you will be someone else. Why all the hating ? it's an optional choice and i think i'm not the only one who will like this new feature.

They're not hating. They are just stating that they have seen it mentioned before and that they wouldn't want that option. I myself wouldn't want that option either. I like being me and trying to better the legends of the game :).

Then, it's your choice, but let us (others) have that option. :) It won't affect your game.

Of course it will effect other peoples games.

The time spent creating the feature is time that could be spent on another feature that is more popular with the majority or on fixing bugs/issues with the game.

On one hand, it'd be cool. It'd be great to BE Arsene Wenger. Not just managing Arsenal, but starting with that kind of history, those friendships and contacts...

On the other hand, there could be legal problems, especially with press conferences / criticising referees.

there would have to be a HUGE list of current managers and legends for you to choose from at the start which would require a lot of programming, and where would it end, each club in the game has a number of legends, 90% of are not currently in the database because they are not involved in football any more or dead. You would be looking through a list of hundreds of thousands of names, its just not in any way plausable really.

Also there would be massive legal problems being able to actually be a real life person in this game.

Or make the list shorter by selecting the icons which are already in place and improve it by every release of a patch/new game.

OR

you can always count on the football manager community which i'm sure will be very greedy to help with those big lists of legends and would be a real challenge for them.

Or make the list shorter by selecting the icons which are already in place and improve it by every release of a patch/new game.

OR

you can always count on the football manager community which i'm sure will be very greedy to help with those big lists of legends and would be a real challenge for them.

i dont think you understand how much extra data you would be adding to an already massive database, and almost 100% of it would be for nothing at all even if you chose to be a legend or current manager.

no it wont because in reality you are not Kenny Dalglish, no matter how much you want to be!

What has the twitter and youtube features got to do with this idea?

in reality none of us will be managing in the champions league or world cup either. its a GAME.

yeah like being able to upload random crap to twitter and youtube. we really need that.

Oh shut up moaning. It's not "random crap".

Plenty of times I've wanted to show my friends a goal I've scored on FM so uploading it to Youtube easily is an excellent feature. It's the same with Twitter, if you want to show people what's happening within your game.

This idea is awful. Only a few people would actually like it and even then it will get boring.

If you're going to support an idea, or give one. Then atleast be constructive otherwise you make yourself look an idiot.

Oh shut up moaning. It's not "random crap".

Plenty of times I've wanted to show my friends a goal I've scored on FM so uploading it to Youtube easily is an excellent feature. It's the same with Twitter, if you want to show people what's happening within your game.

This idea is awful. Only a few people would actually like it and even then it will get boring.

If you're going to support an idea, or give one. Then atleast be constructive otherwise you make yourself look an idiot.

i like how any time someone says they'd like to see something, the SI community gets vulgar and abusive... telling them that their idea is dumb and not worth the time.... and if anyone thinks a current new feature such as twitter/youtube is not worth the time and effort you become a "moaner" and "an idiot."

some people would like to take the role of current managers. people are whining it's not realistic. how many people took over managing liverpool this fall when hodgson had just got the job. who gets a job and then is fired before 1 match is played? you talk about how it's not realistic and then when its pointed out that the alternatives are not realistic either, you come up with another idea to bash someone who has a different opinion than you.

kinda funny. reminds me of when i was 12.

i like how any time someone says they'd like to see something, the SI community gets vulgar and abusive... telling them that their idea is dumb and not worth the time.... and if anyone thinks a current new feature such as twitter/youtube is not worth the time and effort you become a "moaner" and "an idiot."

some people would like to take the role of current managers. people are whining it's not realistic. how many people took over managing liverpool this fall when hodgson had just got the job. who gets a job and then is fired before 1 match is played? you talk about how it's not realistic and then when its pointed out that the alternatives are not realistic either, you come up with another idea to bash someone who has a different opinion than you.

sorry to pour fuel on the fire, but in fairness your comment of youtube being "random crap" is kind of the same thing isnt it? I mean its a feature that other people wanted?

Well.. unlike most previous posters, I am in support of such a feature. But in reality, don't think its ever possible for SI to legally enable users to use the identity of a real person.

To the people who cannot understand/accept why people would use anothers identity.. hopefully my reasons can shed some light. i started playing FM at the age of 13 and I'm sure many FMers are in their teens. I didn't like the idea of playing under my own identity simply becuase 1) a teen or even someone in his mid-twenties (my current age) as a manager is extremely rare, 2) FM's minimum age (think its 30) would mean my DOB would be inaccurate, which for me takes the fun out of it.

My solution was to assume the identity of a club legend of my beloved club - Inter. As such, I have assumed the identity of Giuseppe Bergomi when starting an FM game since I started playing FM. Bergomi was an excellent choice, because besides being a true legend and stalwart for the club, he wasnt truly a manager in the database (think he may not have been in earlier databses, later was an unemployed scout and now a coach at Modena). In addition, i would add myself as a player within the game (playing pro has always been a fantasy of mine) and would track my career in-game. Once my in-game self retired, i would retire Bergomi and re-create my in-game self, this time a manager.

So to the OP, the suggestion of deleting your chosen legend and using FMRTE to edit 'yourself' is probably the best and only option. its something that has worked for me for over a decade now and will do so until I hit 30. only frustrating thing is having to wait for a FMRTE version that can support such editing features when a new game version comes out.

why is everyone going on about FMRTE? why cant you just do it with the editor before you start the game?

Because you'd have to re-create the person you deleted after the new game has started. Once you've re-created the 'legend', you'd then have to add him to the legends list and probably change the reputation.

Because you can't be a manager who is in the db. You add yourself after the game has been created and thus you need to use FMRTE.

but why cant you remove, say Kenny as was used before, and then start a game using his name?

EDIT: Sorry i didnt read the part about wanting all his history etc too

i think its changed hasnt it, now it actually reflects your real birthday? Mine does and I start the gamea as 24.

The minimum age used to be 25 (don't know how much lower it is now) but if you set a date that made you too young it would change your age to 30. In my current game it changed my age to 25.

Well.. unlike most previous posters, I am in support of such a feature. But in reality, don't think its ever possible for SI to legally enable users to use the identity of a real person.

I don't think it's that - I think the idea borders on insanity see my post above.

It's been done before. The game was called something like F.A Premier League Manager (which eventually turned into Total Club Manager). No achievement was in your chosen name, no success felt like it belonged to you. This disconnection only served to make a poor game worse. If you want to name yourself Kenny Dalglish, Ian Holloway, Brian Clough, whoever, then go ahead. But what most people who seek this feature seem to want is that managers reputation and abilities. A short cut to success. And if that's your motivation, then there's nothing stopping you from using a save game editor to give yourself that reputation. The abilities, short of continual reloading or fragging the opposition with an editor, are only going to be as good as your own. And that's the sticking point. Putting the disconnect in naming aside, and the borrowing of someone else's reputation, if you do not have the same methods and football philosophies as your chosen manager, as far as the game can express them, then what is the point? Unless the game takes the template of the existing manager and forces you to play within that framework (Preferred formation, style of football, media handling etc) then it adds nothing to the game that cannot be achieved through simply selecting a photo and choosing your name.

No, I look at peoples ideas + appreciate them when they post constructivly. You're not. You are bashing other features in the game that are actually good. Your idea is not good, you say you want yourself to be one of these legends but that fact is, you are not these legends. You do not have their mind, ideas, motivation, goals, style etc. You're pretty much only taking their name on. Which you can just do by naming yourself them. So what would the point be in that?

Like previous posters say, it would just be pointless work for SI. Pretty much a different concept to the actual game. Why change the game to put it in that direction? It is about a game were YOU become a manager. Not YOU are an already existing manager. They need to focus on getting this game as glitch free as possible. Hence why they dont make 'MASSIVE' changes every game but small ones, then work on patches to get it fixed for the next game where they add more small installments of features.

I'm actually a fan of the idea of taking over an existing person and managing as them because 1) it'll be another 10 years before my profile displays my real age, which is an annoyance, 2) i can currently just start the game as an unkown manager and walk into the biggest jobs in the world, which is unrealistic, 3) i like the idea of having a history to the manager and having contacts and relationships with AI people and 4) just calling oneself Arsene Wenger and taking over Arsenal does not solve the problem of the real Arsene still being around in-game, even if removed beforehand using the editor, his name will still appear on old manager awards without it linking to your replacement's profile.

Having said all this, the above problems are rectifiable (except #4) and it actually would be way too much of a faff to implement this feature in the way the OP is suggesting.

sorry Dean, but it really would.

I don't really get why there could be legal problems, but in the times we live in, one has to err on the side of caution with any potentially legally problematic project, so this feature will probably never happen.

However, if i might suggest an alternative ...

I can't see any problem with a new editor feature where one could edit user profiles in such a way that they are exactly like the profiles of the AI people on the game, giving people the chance to give themselves a history, contacts and relationships, or to copy these facets of an AI person and then delete the AI person from the database.

This would also appease those who want a more in-depth manager history as they could set up a playing and coaching history for their manager.

I think the legal argument may not apply to this suggested feature because this is essentially the same as the current "just call yourself Arsene Wenger and go from there" method with a little added spice, rather than someone controlling the in-game, licensed version of Arsene Wenger. It is roughly equivalent to creating the Japanese league system for yourself and givivng all the competitions and teams their real names. In a way, those leagues aren't allowed to be on FM but the league editor makes it possible, and all without breaching any licensing laws.

I know people say that this sort of thing is a waste of effort when it is desired by so few customers, but for one thing this idea caters for two new feature requests and for another, SI have wasted so much time on rubbish like the Twitter and YouTube links already and if they're prepared to waste time on stuff that (as far as i know) no-one actually asked for, why not on stuff that folks do want?

as for SI wasting time and therefore money on this feature, the twitter and youtube links are quite possibly costing SI money and they're just stupid fluff. Even if they were something that added to the experience in a big way, they missed out on facebook, which is probably the site with the largest number of FM users on it. Now, I know that i'm not affected by these features and so maybe i should just leave it alone, but nobody seems to be able to do the same for new ideas, everyone bashes stuff like the use an existing manager mode and be-a-chairman mode*, seemingly without taking into account that these things would not directly affect them so they should just respect that this game is for everyone and that others have a right to make and support new feature suggestions.

By all means, make your opinion known, if you don't like it you have the right to say so, but please don't start attacking the idea or the person who suggested it, we all have features already in the game that we don't want, but we just have to live with them, so what would it matter if there were a few more that certain people would use and certain others would ignore?

*for the record, i'm not a fan of the chairman mode idea, I was just using it illustrate a point

Archived