Unrealistic AI behaviour when bidding for your players

First off, this is not a rant. I think it is a valid point. If you think I'm mistaken, feel free to correct me.

I have found that when AI clubs make a bid for one of your players, they usually bid the player's market value. Fair enough, why should they bid more if they don't know what you want for the player. Naturally you would want more for your player than his market value. So you have two options: Either reject the bid or get back to them with your demands. If you reject it, the AI club usually doesn't put in a new offer. If you send them your demands, they most likely withdraw their transfer bid. In either case your player will get unhappy. Why can't transfers to AI clubs work the same as transfers from AI clubs: I put in a first bid, bid gets rejected, I offer a higher fee, they start to negotiate and we meet somewhere in the middle. I think I recall that this was possible in FM09 or so.

I would be happy to sell if only I'd get a decent transfer fee. So how do YOU manage to get money out of transfers? Usually I don't get bids for my players if I set asking prices for them (which is a different problem...). There must be a way to get more than the 10 mil market value for 19-year-old wonderkids...

EDIT: I'll just add my second post to this OP, so that people understand what I mean:

I know that the AI sometimes offers you silly money but as I experienced it, these are always initial offers. I wish the AI would negotiate more. To me it seems that in 11.2, the AI makes an initial offer and I either accept it and the transfer goes through or I reject/negotiate and the transfer breaks down. They almost never come back with a new offer. Surely when you make a 10M bid for a 10M player you don't expect it to be accepted right away but are prepared to increase the offer to maybe 12M, even if the AI rejects your first offer you wouldn't just walk away. I wish the AI would act that way when buying players.

Maybe because AI thnks your player isn't worth what you are asking.

I've sold a 22 y/o wonderkid who's worth 11M for 37.5M to Arsenal. Also sold a 29-30 yo for 150-200% of their value. I've also sold some other DCs for like 17-20M and they don't even worth 10M on their market value. You just need to negotiate with them. Sometimes, they'd even pay you more than their market value even if you transfer listed those players and offer them to the clubs.

Another way to get more $$ for young kid is to loan them out with future fees (I usually put 200%+ for their market value). If they are what you think they are, the club will definitely bid for them at the end of the season. I almost always get the bid from those loan out players, except these kid just doesn't want to leave the club or refuse the contract.

There should be no such thing as "market" value in FM. It's not like real life managers have an agreed upon listing of values for each player. That's why it ****es me off when I offer a player and all the teams bid the same exact "market" value.

if the AI is desperate they will pay huge amount of money for them.. it also depends on the players past performances too, i had this regen that i got for free, hes real value was no more than 250k but he was scoring like hell and got some attention and managed to sell him for 6mil !!! just have to get lucky

There should be no such thing as "market" value in FM. It's not like real life managers have an agreed upon listing of values for each player. That's why it ****es me off when I offer a player and all the teams bid the same exact "market" value.

Yeah, let's say MV is £1.1m, you offer the player to clubs for £2m. He isn't transfer listed and has no asking price. What are the chances in real life of getting 5 identical non-negotiable bids at the same time exactly at £1.1m?

Another option would be to make market value something your scouts could estimate. After all, market value for anything in the world cannot be greater than the highest amount anyone's willing to pay for it.

best way to sell a player is to make him look good. As soon as he gets a couple of games where he gets a rating of 7, you can sit him and sell him for a profit, or get increased loan interests and loan him out.

@ MidnightSoul: If they don't think the player is worth what I want for them, why do they make a bid anyway for a 10M-player and as soon as I want to negotiate to 12M the back out of the deal.

@SiN8, JamieWilliams: I understand what you mean, it annoys me, too. Still I think it is good to have a player value, but maybe just because it makes the game easier. That scout idea is a good one.

@TaNeR_08: Maybe the AI is not desperately after my players, but if they put in a 10M bid which equals a players market value, they can hardly expect it to be accepted and then walk away if I want 12M for the player.

@ Interesti88: That's what I'm trying to get across :)

Anytime I reject the offer the AI comes back with the exact same offer as before. I might say the offer isn't good enough. Or I don't want to sell to team in same league. But I just get pestered with the same value each time.

The AI needs to reflect the real value of the player. I've seen 4.6m priced players sold for 37.5m between the AI. But if I put the price of my player up the AI walks away.

Frustrating.

I've resorted to increasing the fee manually x1.5 and then adding in 50% of next transfer fee for young players. Hopefully the AI will bid 40m or something for them in a few seasons and I'll make a profit then.

Archived