Ability to scout hidden attributes. Just another idea....

How about being able to scout what a players' hidden attributes are?

I'm sure most scouts IRL are able to give some idea of how a player will react to the "important match" and also how consistent the player is. Obviously this information wouldn't be given after the scout watching the player once, but over a period of time you'd be able to see these details. I won't go into specifics as it's a fairly simple idea.

I think this would enhance the realism of the game.

I'm fully aware of what "hidden" means, thanks for your sarcasm.

What I'm saying is a scout would be able to discover the hidden attributes and tell you what they are. They do this to a certain extent at the moment with the comment "... believes player x to be a fairly inconsistent performer" but other attributes have number values so why can't it be given to you in that format.

The whole point of hidden attributes is that you aren't supposed to be able to find them out. Scouts already can give you an idea of a player's hidden attributes with comments like "seems to be a player who enjoys the big matches" and stuff.

If you really want to see the hidden attributes, there are outside tools that allow you to do so.

You can find out most of the hidden attributes in game. Injury proneness, just check his injury history. Dirtiness, check his card history. Unpleasant hidden mental attributes, check his personality.

Basically, it's all there, it's just that you have to use your brain to find it.

I'm fully aware of what "hidden" means, thanks for your sarcasm.

What I'm saying is a scout would be able to discover the hidden attributes and tell you what they are. They do this to a certain extent at the moment with the comment "... believes player x to be a fairly inconsistent performer" but other attributes have number values so why can't it be given to you in that format.

Well, actually, all the hidden attributes can be revealed by scouting. I guess it depends more on the ability of the scout and how often he watches him play. Apart from consistency, they can also reveal whether "he enjoys the big matches", " if he has a "professional attitude", if he has "poor sportsmanship", if his attitude "sometimes gets him into trouble" , if has " trouble adapting to a new country". As well as injury proneness and others.

So, as you can see, you can actually already do this, so there is no reason to ask for it.

For me, I don't see why these attributes should be hidden in the first place. They should be readily seen for all your players at the club. At most, mask them for other teams and if you scout/buy a player, you get to see them. It's totally unrealistic for the need to turn towards the coach report and see that the player enjoys the big match but only have a rating of 12 for important matches.

At least, give the manager to turn on these hidden attributes if they want. Save me the trouble to use third party tools.

I like the fact that there are hidden attributes but for players that are at your club, they should have a seperate in depth personality report and the coaches knowledge of their personality would increase with the amount of time they spend at the club. I think at the moment there is just simply not enough information about your players personality.

I like the fact that there are hidden attributes but for players that are at your club, they should have a seperate in depth personality report and the coaches knowledge of their personality would increase with the amount of time they spend at the club. I think at the moment there is just simply not enough information about your players personality.

I think this is definitely on the right lines. We don't need to be able to see the numbers, we just need a feedback system that gets more accurate over time. If I could look at a report of a guy that's been at my club 7 years and my AssMan gives me a fairly decent assessment on each of his hidden stats ("Very Sporting, Handles pressure fairly well, pretty unprofessional, etc) whereas that new signing might only give you a vague idea of what one of his hidden stats might be...

Actually, the assistant manager reports do get more in depth over time. Sack your ass man and employ a new one, you will see each box of the report drop to 1 line, whereas the previous ass mans report will be three or four lines with additional info like '4 th best striker'

As said, most of the hidden attributes do get scouted, but they are mentioned in scout/coach reports just in cases of them being really low or high.

Consistency, injury proneness, important matches and dirtiness will be mentioned either as "strengths" or "weaknesses", even with intermediate grades.

To be honest though I think we might use a more in-depth explaination of players' personalities, especially since negative personalities can't be applied to real-life players... I've some players with "Balanced" personality who are having more moodswings than a character from Sex and the City... not that balanced if you ask me...

So well, there is a "legit" way to find out a bit about hidden stats and traits, but considering how important (ie. prominent, incomprehensible and poorly implemented) the morale/interaction approach is in FM2011, I think we need to be given much more and better reports by our staff.

Personality shouldn't need to be hidden. Fergie knows the personalities of every single one of his players and staff inside-out - that's not hidden. He doesn't need his coaches or scouts to figure out that Rooney is temperamental and ambitious, for example.

To be honest though I think we might use a more in-depth explaination of players' personalities, especially since negative personalities can't be applied to real-life players... I've some players with "Balanced" personality who are having more moodswings than a character from Sex and the City... not that balanced if you ask me...

I think "balanced" means "rounded" rather than stable. Unprofessional, unsporting, angry players are still balanced ;)

I have no problem with it staying hidden in terms of the numerical value. But perhaps the key hidden stats could have a box each. When you get a scout report it would say 'Not scouted for sufficient time to form an opinion'. But if you scouted a player for 18 months you should get a very detailed breakdown, for example, "Consistency - The player has played consistently well over the last 12 months, even in an underperforming side", or, "The player is very talented but seems to lack consistency and can disappear for spells during a season".

I think most players on FM at the moment just use the scouts inital opinion to decide on whether to sign them. For example if they say "4 stars - will become a leading striker in the premier league" they will sign him.

You should also get pressure from the board and your own staff if you attempt to sign a player who isn't well known (Could be represented by the amount of unknown stats). So if you bid £9.5m for a player you have heard on these forums has a fixed PA of 199 the board should come back and say, "The club cannot sanction such an offer with him first being scouted for an appropriate period of time". Etc. This could also be linked to how your clubs scouting knowledge is. Little knowledge of the Brazilian league? Then it would be harder to persuade the board to sign an unheard of 18 year old from Brazil etc. Your experience and stature would enable you more leverage, for example Sir Alex and his youtube signing Bebe, but a rookie coach spending 95% of his budget on an unscouted unknown would be laughed at.

Archived