Is 4-1-4-1 an accurate reflection of Barca's formation?

Hi,

I notice that in FM11 Guardiola sets up Barcelon ina 4-1-4-1 formation, with Villa as the lone front man and Messi playing right midfield.

Messi seems to play well there - in my save he has scored about 20 goals from that position - but surely IRL he plays further forward as part of a front 3 in a 4-3-3 formation?

Do you think the way the AI Guardiola sets up his team is accurate? Or is playing messi at right midfield the best way to reflect his game IRL?

Hi,

I notice that in FM11 Guardiola sets up Barcelon ina 4-1-4-1 formation, with Villa as the lone front man and Messi playing right midfield.

Messi seems to play well there - in my save he has scored about 20 goals from that position - but surely IRL he plays further forward as part of a front 3 in a 4-3-3 formation?

Do you think the way the AI Guardiola sets up his team is accurate? Or is playing messi at right midfield the best way to reflect his game IRL?

Personally I would say Barcelona play more of a 41221 (DMC, 2*MCs, AML, AMR & ST) with Messi at AMR

As good a simulation as FM is, I don't think you can ever truly mirror real life tactics in the game. FM is a very good and enjoyable game, however naturally the match engine has it's limitations.

If your talking about an accurate representation of how Barca line up then I'd go with something like this, however personally I'd have Pedro more wide, as he often makes the runs between fullback and centreback:

GK: Valdes

DR: Alves

DL: Abidal

DCr: Puyol

DCl: Pique

DMC: Busquets

MCr: Xavi

MCl: Iniesta

FR: Pedro

FC: Messi

FL: Villa

Obvious the formation is more complicated than that, however keeping symmetry, that's probably the best way to desbribe it in FM positions.

This diagram done by Zonal Marking is a more visual and accurate way of representing their line-up:

barcaespanol.jpg

I would say the most accurate symmetrical formation would be this:

GK: Valdes

DR: Alves

DC: Pique

DC: Puyol

DL: Maxwell/Abidal

DMC: Busquets

MC: Xavi

MC: Iniesta

AMR: Pedro

AML: Villa