Overmanning/deciding who to get rid of

So, I frequently find my squad getting too big to be manageable or financially efficient. If I was a big club, I might hoard promising young players to loan. But I'm not. However, I have quite a few strikers all capable of performing at the level I'm playing at now, most are fairly young and have some room to improve. I would say I urgently need to cut down by one. But how to decide?

I have 2 fast poacher type strikers, 2 strikers who are tall and drop into space a little deeper to get involved in linkup play and offer an aerial target for flick-ons, 1 solid all-rounder and 1 physically poor but very skilful striker. They are all rated around the same potential by my assistant, and to me, they all are a fairly similar standard. One of the fast poachers is very poor at finishing but is the fastest player in my team and extremely dangerous.

Just to make matters more complicated, one of my scouts has alerted me to another striker who I am very tempted to sign. He is mentally very good and an excellent finisher, the most similar player I can find is Simeon Jackson (several divisions above me) but for some reason my target has 16 pace and only 7 acceleration. He would probably still be the best player in the division but can't improve any further. So I may need to lose two.

What do you think I should do? And what similar dilemmas do you all have when it comes to squad overmanning and deciding who to buy and who to lose?

You could try and re-train the striker who is fast but can't finish as a winger and try and keep 3 of your other strikers. But you gotta learn as a manager you can't buy up all the players you come across, just buy the ones you need, this way you save money.

Yeah, I know, it is just very easy to get carried away over the period of a couple of years. I already have wingers who are more effective than the poor finishing striker would be as a winger, things aren't looking good for him right now despite his electric pace.

I try to have 5 strikers in my squad for the sake of rotation, players at this level don't seem to have enough long-term stamina to play twice a week on a semi-regular basis. Just a pain to lose people who I know would be able to make the step up at least one more division.

Archived