Are the FA REALLY so harsh?

I know, we've been here before, but this is SO frustrating...

OK, call me picky, but if there's a controversial decision which you don't agree with, surely you should be able to say so?

You see managers on MotD being "disappointed" about decisions every week (especially Steve Bruce, who seems to do nothing BUT whinge) but, in FM, if you don't think the ref got it right the FA gestapo come down hard.

OK, you can (just about) work out whether an offside decision was right or not, but fouls and penalties are pointless to contest. The blobs don't give you any real feedback during the game, your ass man is a plank of wood in these situations and the match report doesn't help all that much.

Is there any way SI can add something into the next version to give us a clue about a decision, or can they at least calm the FM FA down a bit? And as for offsides, any complaint about a marginal decision should be let by, IMHO.

Rant over.

I know, we've been here before, but this is SO frustrating...

OK, call me picky, but if there's a controversial decision which you don't agree with, surely you should be able to say so?

You see managers on MotD being "disappointed" about decisions every week (especially Steve Bruce, who seems to do nothing BUT whinge) but, in FM, if you don't think the ref got it right the FA gestapo come down hard.

OK, you can (just about) work out whether an offside decision was right or not, but fouls and penalties are pointless to contest. The blobs don't give you any real feedback during the game, your ass man is a plank of wood in these situations and the match report doesn't help all that much.

Is there any way SI can add something into the next version to give us a clue about a decision, or can they at least calm the FM FA down a bit? And as for offsides, any complaint about a marginal decision should be let by, IMHO.

Rant over.

Managers in the Premiership are constantly getting hauled up before the FA to explain their post-match comments.

Having no interest whatsoever in disciplinary issues I've never bothered to see how the same manager gets dealt with when he makes comments on multiple occasions though.

There really ought to be an option that allows you to basically waffle on, getting the idea across that the decision was wrong, but surrounding it in so many "I don't want to slate the referee, but..." clauses that you can avoid being hauled up infront of the FA

on the other hand irl managers actually see what is happening, so it would be good of si to give something to help the in-game manager out.

also wording the choices correctly might help, like when you use the option 'it was a bad decision but the ref has a tough job' (or something similar), and the media interpret that as you grudgingly saying the ref was right, where the hell did that come from??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):

So every time you complain about a decision, you get fined or banned......

.......yet you CONTINUE complaining about decisions?

Are you sure it's the game that's "frustrating"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The feature's always in your face. It's just so tempting to slag off the referee. icon_frown.gif

It kinda depends whether they'd do anything with the complaining system. Alot of people argue that Jose Mourinho influenced a few penalty decisions by saying that penalty decisions never go his teams way.

Maybe if taking the risk made some of the referees with less experience cave to you, there would be a small incentive?

It beats being fined and banned just for the sake of doing it, anyway..?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by magacid:

There really ought to be an option that allows you to basically waffle on

Yes, just like a politician, I can neither confirm or deny these allegations. But that's my view was blocked isn't it?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That doesn't have quite the effect though - it is interpreted as me saying I grudgingly admit the referee was right or that I didn't see it or whatever.

What I mean is an option where what you are saying is that the referee was wrong, but wrapping that up in so much waffle that you can get away with it and it isn't interpreted as a full out assault on the referee. Plenty of managers do it in real life...the whole "Well, I don't want to criticise the referee, referees do a tough job, but I think when he watches that again on Match of the Day tonight he'll be a bit disappointed with his decision...yada, yada..."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

That doesn't have quite the effect though - it is interpreted as me saying I grudgingly admit the referee was right or that I didn't see it or whatever.

What I mean is an option where what you are saying is that the referee was wrong, but wrapping that up in so much waffle that you can get away with it and it isn't interpreted as a full out assault on the referee. Plenty of managers do it in real life...the whole "Well, I don't want to criticise the referee, referees do a tough job, but I think when he watches that again on Match of the Day tonight he'll be a bit disappointed with his decision...yada, yada..." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, good idea. That way your players know you agree with them rather than the ref and you don't get banned, and you avoid the "so-and-so thinks you're comments have stirred up unnecessary controversy" piffle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):

So every time you complain about a decision, you get fined or banned......

.......yet you CONTINUE complaining about decisions?

Are you sure it's the game that's "frustrating"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I don't. That's the point. You can't say anything without a warning or a fine, so no-one actually says anything regarding decisions, which renders the media section of the game (at least, that part of it) useless.

Which is frustrating because it could easily be so much better.

I've contested and complained about a goal i conceded which was rather obvious offside (the scorer and the other striker both offside). So I complained about it, with relatively harsh words and I got a touchline ban and a board's frustration. The news even said that the goal was perfectly legitimate. I do think this is a bug however. I understand that whining even when a key decision is against you should not go well with FA but the game definately shouldnt punish me for it. Sometimes i'm able to spot out when I can silence the FA but in this case something went wrong.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I've contested and complained about a goal i conceded which was rather obvious offside (the scorer and the other striker both offside). So I complained about it, with relatively harsh words and I got a touchline ban and a board's frustration. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This has happened to me so many times. Even when i look at the replay a ton of times and im absolutly sure the player is offside, somehow the media think it wasnt.

Also, does everyone else find that something like 50% of goals scored is protested by opposition players about it being offside? Surely these bugs are easy to fix.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, does everyone else find that something like 50% of goals scored is protested by opposition players about it being offside? Surely these bugs are easy to fix. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, this happens a lot. Might be worth a look at this weekends MotD to see the proportion of goal that the conceding side view as offside...

As to the bug being easy to fix, well, it might be in 8.0.2... who knows?

I think my two main problems with it as it is are a) the fact that sometimes you'll complain about a decision that is clearly wrong (say an offside) and the game and FA will tell you it's not and b) all the options seem to have you either agree or disagree with the decision, the "take it on the chin" is a perfect example, it assumes your grudgingly accepting the decision was right, when what your probably saying is "The bloody ref got it wrong but i'm not going to moan on about it since that'll only get me a sodding ban and i don't just want to answer no comment to every question".

Theres no way to say ref's have it tough and it was probably wrong but hey-ho or anything like that, just nothing, right, wrong, very right, very wrong. Given those options, the frustrating nature or the situation and the little positive i've ever seen garnered from these media actions the best response in every situation is "no comment". Very boring.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And the officials are never wrong. They should be. Even them can make mistakes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

disagree they are in the game time from time, you can tell if they are right via 'X deemed to play the ball' but IMO it would be nice if you could find out FOR SURE if it was right/wrong and the 'bonus' penalizes' for this were more game like...aka you could say ref was wrong even though he was right and you get FA leniency, sometimes fined....basically this feature should be way more defined

Archived