The role of staff - what direction could/should SI take regarding the interaction with and involvement of none playing staff within FM?

If i remember correctly, this has been brought up in various threads and by assorted users since i have been on these boards. Hence i thought it could be useful to just lump it under one thread under the wonderfully vague umberella heading of:

Staff

So what is there to discuss?

1) Do we have any (employed) coaches in the house? Granted i'm sure SI consult such people, but i was wondering if there was anybody who had been involved in higher level coaching, so they could tell those of us who are ignorant, what level of interaction there was in the chain of manager-coach-player.

The only coaching i've done is trying to teach my 6 aside team to defend effectively, hence any suggestions i give are baced only on assumptions with regard to high level coaching.

Similarly, i don't want any chimp with a coaching badge coming on here telling us how he tought a school team the offside trap - i think the only part of coaching that is relevant is how the manager interacts with his coaches, this game is after all a management sim, not a coaching sim.

Ditto any physios for clubs or assmen if we are blessed enough to have any frequent this forum.

2) Failing that... In the much more likely instance that we have no professional staff on these boards, how do users feel that staff should be incorporated into the game?

As it stands it is my op that the staff seem a bit "tacked-on" and that there appears to be limited interaction between you and them.

3) Anybody overlooked? Have we (or should that be SI) overlooked any staffing position? Again if we could stick to those relevant to managers it would be useful, i know the england squad had a masseuse (sp) but we really don't want to have to hire one every game....

4) Opposition staff. You can scout players and teams in order to see who's a threat, but who's tp say that it isn't due to an exceptional coach? I've never been given a report about an op coach, would this be a useful addition?

5) The oblivion of ritirement. A recent thread brought this up - if a player has not become a coach by 35, then he often retires in the game and is never seen again - should FM use some more HD space and include more non-playing personnel until they decide they don't want to coach? Or should there be an interaction option where a manager may tell a player "get your badges, you aren't goin to get any more playing time"

NB: if i find any threads mentioning things along these lines i'll link them here (or vice versa) as i'm sure a lot of this has been mentioned before - but we all know the search function is sketchy at best.

OK, my thoughts, perhaps the most obvious gap i've seen is physio input during matches.

How many times have we all seen a player with a light injury, and been left wondering, should we play him on, or drag him off???

The amount of times i've dragged a player off to find out he's just cut his nose, or left a player on to find out he has torn something is just laughable.

IRL there would be instant feedback from physio to manager regarding the extent of the injury and what the physio thinks the manager should do (because let's face it, they should know better than we do), in FM we just have to guess based on his condition...

IMO this is the only MAJOR problem with staff as it stands (possibly assman interaction but i'm not sure that's as easily fixed) and the one thing i would love to see fixed in FM09, it's been this way for years, and at no point has it been acceptable.

Point number 2, assman feedback. How many "OMGZ" threads could be avoided by an assman who suggested what was wrong with your tactic??

As with all the above, i'm not sure what sort of feedback they give IRL, but i feel that problems are a bit more apparent IRL as opposed to the limited amount of info we can deduce from the ME.

related thread here although, as with many non-moan related threads, it has unfortunately dropped like a stone.

Final point (for now) is regarding coaches. Surely IRL, they can take a player to one side, and suggest in what way his style of play can be improved? As it currently stands, there is little flexibility within training and coaching to tailor a player as much as i suspect happens IRL.

If i see a player taking 10 chances when he is 2 on 1 with the GK, then i should be able to say to him, look for pass before shot - obviously i would expect a knock on of him dithering a bit more at first while adapting to a change in his play style.

Similarly the amount of shots take from laughable angles is an irritation, that while it does happen irl, a word from a manager or coach, could perhaps talk a player into being less likely to shoot.

Lastly, tracking back, compare joe cole pre-jose, to the joe cole now, the latter is much more defensively active, whilst this can sort of be achieved by re-training to RB or increasing def training, i don't feel that the changes you canmake to a player are significant enough. Obviously a players age and mental stats should be heavily taken into account here as some simply couldn't/wouldn't be willing to change.

Another good thread here regarding the dev of assmen.

Anyway, i think that's enough to start you lot off. Let's hope we get more feedback than many similar threads get.

Cheers

If i remember correctly, this has been brought up in various threads and by assorted users since i have been on these boards. Hence i thought it could be useful to just lump it under one thread under the wonderfully vague umberella heading of:

Staff

So what is there to discuss?

1) Do we have any (employed) coaches in the house? Granted i'm sure SI consult such people, but i was wondering if there was anybody who had been involved in higher level coaching, so they could tell those of us who are ignorant, what level of interaction there was in the chain of manager-coach-player.

The only coaching i've done is trying to teach my 6 aside team to defend effectively, hence any suggestions i give are baced only on assumptions with regard to high level coaching.

Similarly, i don't want any chimp with a coaching badge coming on here telling us how he tought a school team the offside trap - i think the only part of coaching that is relevant is how the manager interacts with his coaches, this game is after all a management sim, not a coaching sim.

Ditto any physios for clubs or assmen if we are blessed enough to have any frequent this forum.

2) Failing that... In the much more likely instance that we have no professional staff on these boards, how do users feel that staff should be incorporated into the game?

As it stands it is my op that the staff seem a bit "tacked-on" and that there appears to be limited interaction between you and them.

3) Anybody overlooked? Have we (or should that be SI) overlooked any staffing position? Again if we could stick to those relevant to managers it would be useful, i know the england squad had a masseuse (sp) but we really don't want to have to hire one every game....

4) Opposition staff. You can scout players and teams in order to see who's a threat, but who's tp say that it isn't due to an exceptional coach? I've never been given a report about an op coach, would this be a useful addition?

5) The oblivion of ritirement. A recent thread brought this up - if a player has not become a coach by 35, then he often retires in the game and is never seen again - should FM use some more HD space and include more non-playing personnel until they decide they don't want to coach? Or should there be an interaction option where a manager may tell a player "get your badges, you aren't goin to get any more playing time"

NB: if i find any threads mentioning things along these lines i'll link them here (or vice versa) as i'm sure a lot of this has been mentioned before - but we all know the search function is sketchy at best.

OK, my thoughts, perhaps the most obvious gap i've seen is physio input during matches.

How many times have we all seen a player with a light injury, and been left wondering, should we play him on, or drag him off???

The amount of times i've dragged a player off to find out he's just cut his nose, or left a player on to find out he has torn something is just laughable.

IRL there would be instant feedback from physio to manager regarding the extent of the injury and what the physio thinks the manager should do (because let's face it, they should know better than we do), in FM we just have to guess based on his condition...

IMO this is the only MAJOR problem with staff as it stands (possibly assman interaction but i'm not sure that's as easily fixed) and the one thing i would love to see fixed in FM09, it's been this way for years, and at no point has it been acceptable.

Point number 2, assman feedback. How many "OMGZ" threads could be avoided by an assman who suggested what was wrong with your tactic??

As with all the above, i'm not sure what sort of feedback they give IRL, but i feel that problems are a bit more apparent IRL as opposed to the limited amount of info we can deduce from the ME.

related thread here although, as with many non-moan related threads, it has unfortunately dropped like a stone.

Final point (for now) is regarding coaches. Surely IRL, they can take a player to one side, and suggest in what way his style of play can be improved? As it currently stands, there is little flexibility within training and coaching to tailor a player as much as i suspect happens IRL.

If i see a player taking 10 chances when he is 2 on 1 with the GK, then i should be able to say to him, look for pass before shot - obviously i would expect a knock on of him dithering a bit more at first while adapting to a change in his play style.

Similarly the amount of shots take from laughable angles is an irritation, that while it does happen irl, a word from a manager or coach, could perhaps talk a player into being less likely to shoot.

Lastly, tracking back, compare joe cole pre-jose, to the joe cole now, the latter is much more defensively active, whilst this can sort of be achieved by re-training to RB or increasing def training, i don't feel that the changes you canmake to a player are significant enough. Obviously a players age and mental stats should be heavily taken into account here as some simply couldn't/wouldn't be willing to change.

Another good thread here regarding the dev of assmen.

Anyway, i think that's enough to start you lot off. Let's hope we get more feedback than many similar threads get.

Cheers

agree with the physio interaction. even taking a "green cross" player off at 90%+, sometimes he is out for a a few days, but its more common to keep a GC player on at the same condition and lose him for 2-3 weeks, or taking him off and he's 100% the next day.

irl, physios at least signal to the manager wether or not he wants to take a risk of keeping a player on.

tres bon icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">IRL there would be instant feedback from physio to manager regarding the extent of the injury and what the physio thinks the manager should do (because let's face it, they should know better than we do), in FM we just have to guess based on his condition... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

definitely should be in the game! icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Final point (for now) is regarding coaches. Surely IRL, they can take a player to one side, and suggest in what way his style of play can be improved? As it currently stands, there is little flexibility within training and coaching to tailor a player as much as i suspect happens IRL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

again, a "must" for future versions of fm...

read the two posts by lfclloydy and i agree wholeheartedly. theres definitely a huge area of staff interaction that could be developed, and hopefully it will be. giving the ass man chance to interact with you, and vice versa should definitely be looked at. ok, to a certain degree, theres interaction now, but not on those sort of levels, and it would bring a whole new dimension to the game i think..

another good post!! have 3 icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i think, that in fm09, that the director of football should be able to be appointed, and could tell you who to sign etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and excuse the double, this want there when i started on that one....

a director of football shouldnt be added, as there isnt one at every club. only some clubs have them, depends on their caoching hierarchy... whether they go for the "continental" style of a head coach or the traditional manager roles i believe...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rinso:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i think, that in fm09, that the director of football should be able to be appointed, and could tell you who to sign etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and excuse the double, this want there when i started on that one....

a director of football shouldnt be added, as there isnt one at every club. only some clubs have them, depends on their caoching hierarchy... whether they go for the "continental" style of a head coach or the traditional manager roles i believe... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, i steered clear of this position for that reason, there just aren't enough of them to warrant it. Also, it would take a large amount of the fun out of FM is we had drastically reduced input with regard to transfers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, it would take a large amount of the fun out of FM is we had drastically reduced input with regard to transfers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly!! im sure most of us end up as experts in "wheeling and dealing" playin fm and, its not something the game needs.

probably worth mentioning this thread as well, whilst we're talking about developing staff roles. its another one that should definitely be added imo...

My suggestion is more practical than total improvement of non-playing staff.

I'd like to see a Head-Scout role created. Even though we get told when a scout has finished his assignment I still quite often forget to re-assign them. I'd like to be able to go to my head scout and say other the next season i would like the following places scouted. He would then assign the appropiate scout to the appropiate assignment. And once a scout has finished his assignment the head scout would send him on another.

Then at the end of the month the head scout would tell you what highly recommended players have been found by your scouts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saved_by_barry_horne:

I'd like to see a Head-Scout role created. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Presumably he would be the go-to guy for final advice on whether a player is worth buying?

Just trying to think this through as it seems a good idea. Your generic scouts go trooping off to find players of worth and anyone they deem worthy of closer attention might merit a visit from the Head Scout. He would also, presumably, be the person an interfering chairman would go to for advice on what 'star' he should sign for triple the asking price.

Regarding Ched's physio suggestion - absolutely. Playing in damp conditions against a bunch of thugs, it would be nice to know which Green Cross Man I can take off and which can be left to soldier on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turnip:

Presumably he would be the go-to guy for final advice on whether a player is worth buying?

Just trying to think this through as it seems a good idea. Your generic scouts go trooping off to find players of worth and anyone they deem worthy of closer attention might merit a visit from the Head Scout. He would also, presumably, be the person an interfering chairman would go to for advice on what 'star' he should sign for triple the asking price.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif Pretty much it. Also, he may suggest areas i would like to scout. For example if Angola got to the WC semis you might get a message along the lines of:

Head Scout Joe Bloggs believes that after the good performance of Angola in the recent World Cup, it may beneifcal to send a scout there. Assign scout? Yes / No.

some great points made in both these posts... all boils dow to the ass man being given a "personality" in the game. completely interactive, but only as far as you deem necessary. he can help in areas you specify, and could advise in others, or would be capable oftaking control and not ruining the club if you left him in charge.

there should be some feedback/discussion between you and the ass man regarding tactics/players performances etc.. you get a performance review at the end of every month for a few players for their training, surely that could be expanded??

same for signing staff as well, surely the ass man would be in a great position to advise whether he thinks a that new coach youre about to sign would actually benefit the team, or whether a more disciplined coach, for example, would help the training.

there do also seem to be indiscretions in him picking the team. not sure why, but he seems to pick the same 11 week in, week out, even if one player has just returned from injury and is half-fit, he goes into the starting eleven, and it should definitely be looked at.

another idea would be for him to give you a report on the previous match, for those who dont like to watch the whole thing. maybe pointing out things like "player x made some good forward runs" or "we looked a bit shaky in defence, i'd suggest trying player y as player z looks rather short on confidence" things like that....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

You might want to have a look at this thread on the next generation of Assistant Managers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a sad reflection on the forums that the thread only generated 40ish replies...

Good points, summing up pretty much all my main gripes with the assman.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

You might want to have a look at this thread on the next generation of Assistant Managers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a sad reflection on the forums that the thread only generated 40ish replies...

Good points, summing up pretty much all my main gripes with the assman.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

While we're providing links to past work icon_wink.gif:

Metaphysical Angst and Uncertainty in FM - covers a lot of ground regarding "help" from staff making the game "too easy", with specific ways to avoid it.

In-character 'helpful suggestions' - the direction I'd like to see the Staff taken.

New Media Items and Improved Feedback Ideas - more of the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers, i knew there were several good threads on this, but because of their generally sensible nature they didn't appeal to the more sensationalist portion of the forum population and hence dropped icon_frown.gif

icon14.gif good threads Amaroq, shame they dropped off, i dont remember seeing any of them whilst i've been here...

wholeheartedly agree with them thoguh, hopefully some of these features, if not all of them, can be implemented in the near future...

I've written an article for issue 2 of The Bootroom which goes into the AM's role on match day, so I won't blow that and give my ideas here as well.

I totally agree about the physio reporting on injuries and now I'm really annoyed that I didn't include that in the article. Doh!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ched:

Cheers, i knew there were several good threads on this, but because of their generally sensible nature they didn't appeal to the more sensationalist portion of the forum population and hence dropped icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's good to see stuff like this getting a bit more of a foothold again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by playmaker:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ched:

Cheers, i knew there were several good threads on this, but because of their generally sensible nature they didn't appeal to the more sensationalist portion of the forum population and hence dropped icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's good to see stuff like this getting a bit more of a foothold again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, pretty much now though GD is a place where people come to either slag the game off or request help. Very few people seem interested (or capable) in discussing the development of the game in depth. Shame really, one the reasons that i don't frequent GD as much as i used too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by playmaker:

It's good to see stuff like this getting a bit more of a foothold again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's always a few gems out there - the problem is that they drop like stones compared to "Rate my team" and stuff like that.

Personally I'd like to see massive expansion of the interaction with senior figures at the club and changing hierachies (sic?) as clubs get taken over.

It's been mentioned in this thread that some management structures have "Directors of Football" while others don't. Why not have a number of templates of structures which can be used and have the charactistics of the chairman/owner decide which template to use and then have the chairman do his own recruitment for that position? It would add to the immersion in the game to a degree I think.

The game at the moment just treats the board like a single entity which tends to respond in exactly the same way to each request. There's no feeling of personality there and it's something I think could be improved.

Varying hierarchies a good idea. Directors of football need to have a more active role in the game too. How active though im not sure. Obviously we don't want tehm dictating transfer policy, although it may add realism i feel it would take away from the enjoyment of the game for me at least.

iirc Arnenson at Chelsea's major role is youth development. So maybe clubs could assign a seperate transfer budget for youth players and it is the DOF that is responsible for that.

Also like to DOF to become managers like Grant and that bloke at portsmouth, but atm with them not having viewable profiles it doesn't happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's been mentioned in this thread that some management structures have "Directors of Football" while others don't. Why not have a number of templates of structures which can be used and have the charactistics of the chairman/owner decide which template to use and then have the chairman do his own recruitment for that position? It would add to the immersion in the game to a degree I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not a bad idea, i dont think, but as we mentioned earlier on in the thread, it could take a lot of the enjoyment out of the game f the dof were someone who dealt with first team transfers and just left you to do the actual coaching. it could even stop people managing certain clubs, as a lot of the enjoyment, especially for me, is building up my own team, watching them grow and achieve, and "stamping my own mark on the club"

Not sure what anyone has linked to, but some thoughts:

The way I see it, there's realism and there's playability.

Now, we don't want a situation where we are just reduced to Head Coach (unless we choose to, as I'll explain). Instead, different roles should be available to help/advise or to run specific areas.

What I mean is, there should be three levels at which you can opt to manage:

1. Total Control - as it is now

2. Control - the relevant person will give you advise as you request it, but you still make the final call

3. Head Coach - the relevant person runs that department

So, I'd see:

Owner

Chairman

Chief Executive

Director of Football

Assistant Manager

Head Scout

Head Physio

as the important roles to develop here.

Firstly, Owner/Chairman/Chief Executive need to be developed into separate identifiable roles within the game, to allow the increasingly common scenario where the owner provides the finance and broad "direction" and the Chief Executive actually runs the club.

In terms of our interaction, we should be able to ask the Chairman/CE to advise/run transfer/contract negotiations.

We should have the option to totally turn all hiring over to them too, but only if we want.

The DoF would, in game terms, serve as a senior scout that is out of our control. He provides recommendations which we can ignore, or follow. We can also put him in charge of scouting.

The AM should be available to advise on tactics and training, or put in total charge of training (which would mean properly defining individual routines etc). They can also suggest new staff, gaps in the backroom etc.

The Head Scout would be someone we could use like any other scout, put in charge of managing the scouts, or get suggestions on where to scout, what to scout etc.

The Head Physio would run the rehab side of things, taking those decisions away from us (again, if we want).

The point of all this is to enhance interaction, and to bridge the gap between those who are intimately familiar with the game and those who are new to it.

It also allows you to develop the level at which you play your game. From micro-managing to pick-up-and-play.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What I mean is, there should be three levels at which you can opt to manage:

1. Total Control - as it is now

2. Control - the relevant person will give you advise as you request it, but you still make the final call

3. Head Coach - the relevant person runs that department </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif good idea, would take away the danger of a dof taking control over our roles as manager when we didnt want it.

in general, i agree with you totally Dave C, would be the ideal way to implement it all. the key to it all is not making anything set in stone, and we always have a choice of whether to set the game up as we wish to play it. as long as we dont end up with too many different options or screens saying "do you want to run this section or shall we do it for you?" then i think its the ideal way forward.

a definite icon14.gif from me!!

I'd say you have the current Manager Options screen, and just have a series of options there (with default being as it is now).

Then there should be an "advice" button on relevant screens, so you can one-click for advice whenever you want it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd say you have the current Manager Options screen, and just have a series of options there (with default being as it is now).

Then there should be an "advice" button on relevant screens, so you can one-click for advice whenever you want it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

makes sense to me, sounds about the ideal place to put it.. would also eliminate the danger of too many screens appearing asking you what your choices are. have it all on one screen at the start, and a series of tick boxes would be the perfect way to do it!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

While we're providing links to past work icon_wink.gif:

Metaphysical Angst and Uncertainty in FM - covers a lot of ground regarding "help" from staff making the game "too easy", with specific ways to avoid it.

In-character 'helpful suggestions' - the direction I'd like to see the Staff taken.

New Media Items and Improved Feedback Ideas - more of the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll add to that:

My views on staff and feedback.

Some very interesting discussion here - and I am glad that it is being discussed in such a frank and constructive way.

However, one small thing I've noticed is that many of the ideas here work on the principle that you are managing a "big" team in game, normally meaning a top-flight team with the resources and needs for the roles mentioned. I would think as you move to lower levels, the roles become a little more blurred and the manager can also end up being Scout #2, and groundkeeper. This is where SI would have difficulty into trying to incorporate so many levels (and potential exceptions) into the game, I feel.

Dave C's ideas would probably touch upon the best way in which it could be handled, but my worry would be that it would "cost" too much in development and time to consider setting up, resulting in an idea like this just being shelved.

I would love to see the coaching module moved to the next level, but unfortunately at the moment, I can't see how it work successfully work, without some major time/effort investment.

(Sorry, I meant to come into the thread to praise the concept and see good conversation, but I've been quite negative... icon_redface.gif )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> This idea would also make choosing a good assistant manager all the more important. Attributes like tactics and perhaps a new hidden attribute such as 'advice' would be all the more important. Poor assistants would not give anywhere near as many suggestions as good assistants, and the suggestions they do give may not be as accurate or of as good quality as those of a top class assistant.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

particularly liked this bit in chopper's thread, a new "advice" attribute is called for!!

also the part about the management "teams" that develop during the games, we often see new managers being appointed, and the first thing they do is bring their old assistant with them, but do we ever see it in FM unless we're the ones doing it??

Just as a little RL example to support some of this. York's new manager Colin Walker was asked why he made the decision to switch to 532 and he basically said it was from his assistant.

I'm sure we can all come up with stories of managers who didn't run training, tactics, transfers etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave C:

Not sure what anyone has linked to, but some thoughts:

<snipped> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very briefly - I agree with every word Dave C has said in this post. If work is to be done on improving interaction modules, then this is the way to go about it.

It's a win/win situation - this increases the realism of how a club is run and allows the user to choose their level of interaction.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave C:

Just as a little RL example to support some of this. York's new manager Colin Walker was asked why he made the decision to switch to 532 and he basically said it was from his assistant.

I'm sure we can all come up with stories of managers who didn't run training, tactics, transfers etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A perfect example of what's missing in FM. Let's hope it changes...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A perfect example of what's missing in FM. Let's hope it changes... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif i second that!

Staff interactiom has to be the way forwards.

In addition, I'd like to see visible attributes for the chairman and board, and for those attributes to be developed.

At present, these non-playing staff have hidden attributes, but it seems to have little to no impact on the actual game. The board seems to act in a linear way at each and every club.

In reality, we can see that chairman differ hugely - some are huge ambitious, others strong on financial development and some are very media orientated. This should be reflected in the game.

And it would be useful to know what to expect from the chairman when considering job offers. Abramovich, Romanov, Gibson, Noades, Scally, Goldberg, Gartside etc. all have very distinct traits that impact upon the greater running of the club.

Of course, not all chairman are so well known, but the manager is heavily involved in football and would have some idea of what to expect from his new boss.

I'm a Barnet fan and in real life our manager Paul Fairclough is getting a fair bit of stick at the moment for playing quite a defensive 451 formation at home.

In FM I am managing Mosside in N.Ireland and at the start of the 2015/16 season I have a reasonable chance of remaining undefeated in domestic competition. A couple of weeks into the season we have been beaten in the Quarter Finals of some Cup and we have lost our first league game 3-0.

Now in real life, Barnet Ass Man Ian Hendon would have a little word with Paul Fairclough and suggest that maybe at home we should play a slightly more attacking formation, (maybe 2 up front for example).

I want my Mosside Ass Man to do the same in FM.

I really want it to be done in two seperate areas. During the league game we are getting outplayed by a significantly poorer team, (for whatever reason), and I want him to suggest to me that we change things around.

He might say that "big fat useless oaf of a Target Man" is not up to it and should be dragged off and sent on a 5 mile run for his sins.

He might say that we should keep the same formation and tactics but change to a more direct style of play.

He might say that we have conceded 3 goals and that "fat useless young centre-half is a liability and should be sent to train with the U19's.

He might say that "big fat useless oaf of a Target Man" is doing ok but is getting a bit isolated and we need to get more modies up to support him. Then he might suggest either a 2nd striker or an man playing in the hole or simply more attacking team instructions.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that I don't want him to spell it out to me. I want him to hint at where he thinks the problem is and then give me a couple of options as to how to solve it. He could provide 3 possible solutions, with his preferred solution being highlighted.

Taking this on a little further, I would like to see tha Ass Man attributes impacting on his ability to pass on the relevant information.

If you have an Ass Man who has a good "Tactical knowledge" attribute level, then he would be good at providing youb with solutions to a problem via a change in tactics.

If you had an Ass Man who has a good "Attacking" or "Defending" attribute level, then he might be more able as to making personnel changes in these areas.

After the game I want some feedback in a similar way to the feedback that he gives me about my "team talks", (which I NEVER use).

I want him to tell me where he thinks I made good and bad decision and on a sliding scale of criticism/praise.

Was appalled.

Was disapointed.

Has no comment.

Was pleased.

Was delighted.

And then on certain areas of the team selection/tactics.

With formation.

With level of attack/defense.

With selection

With substitutions or rather lack of.

I would hope that we are not a million miles away from stuff like this but to honest I'm not sure. I can imagine it would be difficult to get right.

Archived