Too many players willing to come to smaller clubs for 'key player' status

It seems that 'key player' status is playing a huge part in player decisions. Playing as Woking, newly promoted to BSP, I've had a number of players turn down offers from League 1 teams (presumably as youngsters or backups) to come to me. I've noticed the same with other teams as well, including one player who turned down offers from multiple league 1 and 2 clubs to be a 'key player' in the Ryman league.

I don't feel this is really realistic. Quite apart from the fact that you will get paid more as a League 1 backup than a Ryman key player, most footballers are going to want the prestige of belonging to a more attractive club. I think there are a small percentage who may drop down to be 100% sure of constant first-team football, but it would be a very small percentage. We are talking 18-20 year olds here, so it's not as if the players are fully developed either. Many of them have the potential (unless my scouts are useless) to succeed at League 1/2 level.

This might also be the reason why young prospects are too willing to leave big clubs where they haven't broken through yet, but still have a chance of making it.

Thoughts?

I've experienced the opposite whilst playing in the BSP at the moment. Though I must admit, I've not been offering "Key" status. "First Team" or "Rotation" at most is what I've been offering. Mainly because I don't want to have problems with a young player who in all likelihood, won't actually be a key player, thus may complain further down the line.

That said though, I could see the potential appeal to a young player, if thinking a little about this. When offering "Key" status, obviously you're allowed more wage budget to negotiate wages with. This could mean that not only are you suggesting to a player that they'll be an exceptionally valuable part of your plans, but you're going to offer them wages in excess of what they'll get at a League One/Two club. They'll also be more likely offering a maximum team status of "Rotation" as well, possibly.

So although I can see what you're saying, I also think there's a bit more to the decision making factors to consider. The same thing can apply for some of the quality "veteran" players you and I might look at signing. I've signed a few golden oldies who are clearly good enough to play at a much higher level, but those clubs are probably offering them lower wages and squad status than I am.

I don't think the wages they are getting as a key player at BSS/Ryman level are even half of what they would get as a backup at a League 1 club. I just don't see any 19-year-old who has just been released from Everton's academy turning down the chance to prove himself at Southend in favour of a move to Thurrock.

Is there a limit of how many key players you can have? It's something i never noticed.

Though on FM11 squad status seem to be more important when offering a contract, for instance if you offer a rotation-player a contract with a first team status, sometimes he'll want his wage to be the average of that particular squad status.

Is there a limit of how many key players you can have? It's something i never noticed.

Though on FM11 squad status seem to be more important when offering a contract, for instance if you offer a rotation-player a contract with a first team status, sometimes he'll want his wage to be the average of that particular squad status.

No, there isn't, but there should be. Or maybe if you have more than a certain number of 'key players', anyone else you offer the status to shouldn't take it as seriously.

I've noticed the addition you mention as well and quite like it!

Archived