Should Not Be A Member Of The England Squad

Okay, so the year is 2022, and I've just taken over as England manager, having had loads of scouting back on players (all the obvious choices plus more) and 90% of these reports end with the recommendation, "should not be a member of the england squad" or "does not agree with your assessment that Reed is good enough for the England squad".

Largely we're talking about players who just helped england win the world cup!, and the staff i've got scouting the players have very high stats for judging player ability and potential.

Anyone have any ideas whats going on?

Heres the problem. (As simple as I can possibly put it.)

In FM, year 2008

Scouts Rate Great player 7*

Scouts Rate Very Good 6*

etc

Number of "Great players" / Very Good and even Good players = LOADS

In FM, year >2020

Scouts Rate Great player 7*

Scouts Rate Very Good 6*

Number of "Great/V. Good/Good" player.? Not many.

They don't adjust the scouting for the fact that the level of good players as you go on in the game decreases, so the scouts are still looking for people with 180+ pa to give you a 7* rating, when in reality, it should be more like 160 PA rating thats 7*

But the thing is that even my captain, a striker who just won world player of the year, scored 51 goals in 56 international games and scored a hattrick in the world cup final, got only 3 stars in ability and a 3 in potential and a recommendation of "decent player".

Yea, because in FM world, he is the best of a bad bunch.

The quality of regens drops every season, so you're going to find yourself with a lot of really poor players.

I'll load up my game in 2041, and get a screenie of the best few players. You'll be shocked.

Highest Valued GK

Highest Valued Defender

Highest Valued Midfielder (Product of my youth team icon_smile.gif )

Highest Valued Forward

Highest Paid Player

and to top it all off, here is a

Typical English Player

NONE of these players are anywhere near the "Real Life" players in the year 2008.

And scout reports for these players wouldn't show them higher than 4 or 5 *'s max.

It's been about 15 seasons since I've seen a 6 or 7* player in that game. icon13.gif

Originally posted by backpackant:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dannyboy24:

Surely the scouting recommendations should be related to the squad average?

Should but don't. One of a number of issues that SI will hopefully have addressed with FM09. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Highest Valued GK

Highest Valued Defender

Highest Valued Midfielder (Product of my youth team icon_smile.gif )

Highest Valued Forward

Highest Paid Player

and to top it all off, here is a

Typical English Player

NONE of these players are anywhere near the "Real Life" players in the year 2008.

And scout reports for these players wouldn't show them higher than 4 or 5 *'s max.

It's been about 15 seasons since I've seen a 6 or 7* player in that game. icon13.gif

I suppose this means you have to rely more and more on your own judgement as the years go on. I've played as far as 2021 and find that the technical stats of regens can be as good as any at the beginning of the game, but the physical and mental stats are dreadful. Maybe there are too many variables in the game for it to develop players on such a scale.

Here's hoping.

• 1 month later...

Long post on the way. I think the way the scouts work is fine at the moment, if SI fixes the quality of the regens the scouting problem will be fixed as well.

Currently the number of stars given is based on your teams reputation and the CA/PA of the player you are scouting. It doesn't matter how good your current players are. If the player lines up within whatever the CA/PA limits are for what a backup for your reputation should be he'll get 3 stars. 4 star, good players, can be expected to get regular playing time for a team of your reputation based on their CA/PA and so on. If you want to know whether the player is better than your current players, read the report and the scout compares him to your current best.

On my Braintree save I'm the best in the premier league and my players are mostly 3 and 4 stars according to my scouts, with only the Football Jesus getting 5 stars. However, if I create a new user and take over newly promoted Watford, and I scout those players, they get 7 stars. Just to remove a few variables for those who don't have FMM, raising Watfords reputation to match Braintree's causes the Watford scouts reports to drop back down to what the Braintree scouts had said. Changing the players reputation doesn't have any effect on the stars.

So the problem the original poster had was probably caused by Englands reputation sky rocketing after winning the world cup. The scouting system worked perfectly in my opinion, the scouts basically told him "Back in my day, when we had to walk to school uphill, both ways, in the snow (sometimes referred to as 2007/08), the sort of crap players you're asking me to check wouldn't have been on the bench for a squad that was as reputable and illustrious as England's." If you ask him to be more specific, he'll tell you though that yes, the player is in fact better or worse or equal to the other crap players that you've got. It is a sort of an ingame test of the regen system, one that that I'm fairly amazed that SI and the testers missed, in that the regen system failed rather badly.

Archived