Strangest Managerial appointment

Was just wondering what the strangest managerial appointment people have seen so far?

Apart from Moyes leaving to join Villa ( which happens everytime I play the game it seems ) I have seen Wenger leave title winning Arsenal to join 11th placed Roma, Mancini leave Man City to join 16th placed Liverpool and most bizarre of all as a Tranmere fan John Barnes being linked to a number of high profile jobs before being appointed Southampton manager, as someone who witnessed Barnes managerial talents firsthand at Tranmere I feel sorry for the Southampton fans in the game :)

Haha..the strange thing i did see is within a month of Gregorio Manzano taking over Mancini at Man City, he had declared his interest in the Man Utd job.....needless to say, the fans were fuming haha

Wenger to Seville on mine also, Javier Aguirre took over at The Emirates.

Lol, same here! Mancini was sacked and took over Arse after Wenger left for Spain and Aguirre took over Citeh. Then Mancini was sacked and Aguirre took over Arse and now Chris Hughton is managing Citeh :o

I got a good one yesterday. I'm managing in level 9 and I'm still in December 2010 (as in real life!)

In the first week of December (i.e. NOW!) in the Premier League, Allardyce got sacked. Who got the Blackburn gig? Shearer.

No surprise there; the irony was 2 days later Hughton got dismissed, and of course the cliched messiah was unavailable.

So, who was the 'Toon job given to? Only Steve Stone. WTF????

The only reason I can think of appointing him, is that he looks like Shearer, and maybe Ashley had sunk a few too many pints on the terrace.

Has Stoney come up for anyone else?

United offering ME the job after just 3 not very successful seasons at Portsmouth..

Well, I managed to get them in the Premier league after 2 seasons, and got 14th in my first seasons, but I do feel it was a bit out of the blue, considering my automatic experience

Gary Johnson left Peterbrough, just clinched promotion to the Premier League, to take the Sheffield United job, no chance of a play off place with a few games to go. Then of course come the end of the season new Posh manager Lee Clark is the messiah for getting them promoted according to the news...

Hodgson came 4th, 2nd & 6th in the league before he retired, won champions league 2011, and came second 2012, reached two semi finals in th FA-cup and won World Club Ch'ship 2012. That was apparently enough success for the Liverpool board, so in 2013 they hired.... Rafa Benitez.... :p

(Got the sack halfway through the second season managing Inter, after 5 wins, 3 draws and 6 losses in the first 14 Serie A games)

He seems to continue where he left off, and won only 1 of 6 pre-season friendlies, and lost in the EURO cup 3rd qual round vs the mighty Strømsgodset :p

Didier Drogba and David Moyes swapped places on mine, between Aston Villa and Everton.

Also Mancini, after getting the sack at City replaces 'Arry at Spurs, then got the Man Utd job after Phelan got sacked. Man City are on their 4th manager in 5 season so far on mine, this time it's Mick McCarthy's turn

Ferguson stepped down after 2 seasons, and was surprisingly replaced by Gary Neville who has no managerial experience.

Paul McGuinnes (a United coach I think) got the job on my save....and he's won back to back Champions League with them!!

And Rafa Benitez has the England job after Capello quit in 2012.

Not all of these may be that strange but anyway...

Ancellotti - Italy

Guardiola - Spain

Wenger - Barcelona

Mancini - Chelsea

Redknapp - Man. City

and like many of you... Aguirre - Arsenal.

Guardiola left to take the Spain job on my Newcastle save too...and I was promptly offered the Barca job. Stayed on with the Geordies though. There have been some strange premier League appointments in my game. Massive spending Man City currently have Curbishley at the helm, Gianluca Zambrotta has pitched up at Bolton, Gary Megson at West Ham and Mick McCarthy is now Spurs boss, after Harry retired. G Nev lasted 10 months as Blackpool manager and is currently unemployed.

Also some unexpected, well to my eyes anyway, ex Toon players showing up as managers. Joey Barton is now Burnley boss at the tender age of 32. Alan Smith turning up at Morecambe.

I got a good one yesterday. I'm managing in level 9 and I'm still in December 2010 (as in real life!)

In the first week of December (i.e. NOW!) in the Premier League, Allardyce got sacked. Who got the Blackburn gig? Shearer.

No surprise there; the irony was 2 days later Hughton got dismissed, and of course the cliched messiah was unavailable.

So, who was the 'Toon job given to? Only Steve Stone. WTF????

The only reason I can think of appointing him, is that he looks like Shearer, and maybe Ashley had sunk a few too many pints on the terrace.

Has Stoney come up for anyone else?

That's just crazy!

Could the edited databse not have anything to do with that though (The Steve Stone part)?

Guardiola - Spain

Had this one, too. Didn't strike me as strange, other than the appointment was made mid-year and his entire coaching staff left in one of those mass exiles. They appointed Manzano, ex-Sevilla.

Strangest thing I've seen is Hughton getting sacked; there was no list of favourites for replacement, but there was a comment about how the board would need to search through the usual list of "Football Manager" applications before finding a real replacement. Never seen that before. Good touch.

Tony Mowbray joined Man City on mine after Redknapp was sacked 2nd season. Pulis left 9th place Stoke to join 19th place Boro!! Along with numerous assistant managers walking straight into Prem jobs without even being caretaker yet!

It's seriously messed up.

Is it messed up? Numerous assistants go straight in to management, with or without their current club - Sammy Lee, Phil Brown, Steve McClaren, Ricky Sbragia.

None of these are that strange, as in unrealistic.

Remember Zola to West Ham? He was a coach in every previous FM since he retired. That's like the Wiltord one.

Prosinecki has just become a manager - how many of us have him coaching our attackers?

Ferdinand has just become Wolves manager on my game. Ancellotti left Chelsea for Man Utd when SAF retired. Mancini went to Chelsea, having been replaced at City by Aguirre. Aguirre then left City for Arsenal when Wenger left for Roma. Quique Flores came in to replace Aguirre but has just been fired.

Mike Phelan is the Birmingham manager - direct poach whilst Asst. at United.

In my game, Moyes to Villa of course, then Shearer to Everton, Everton had a tycoon takeover and sacked Shearer, hired Aguirre, Ancelotti went to City and Shearer went to Chelsea, Ferguson retired and Aguirre went to Man U, Shearer went back to Everton, before eventually getting sacked and replaced with Aguirre, Man U hiring Erik Mombaerts. This was in the space of about 5 years. Oh and at some point Liverpool hired Mick McCarthy who is doing a fine job.

Apart from Moyes leaving to join Villa ( which happens everytime I play the game it seems )

At one point during the summer irl, Sky Bet had Moyes odds on to take the Villa job after Martin O'Neill left.

I don't think that move is unrealistic at all. Sometimes managers need a new challenge and probably a bigger transfer budget at Villa.

Im glad to see managers moving around and getting sacked more often in FM11. It was far too easy for AI managers to keep their jobs in previous versions.

wenger to juventus, --- mancini to arsenal,---o'neill to man city,---redknapp to liverpool,----hodgson to spurs,---moyes to chelsea,---ancelotti to man u,---redknapp retires, benitez back to liverpool

but the craziest of all, gianluca vialli manages st johnstone

Moyes went to Tottenham in my game, but got sacked and was re-hired by Everton.

Harry replaced Mancini at City.

Phelan took over at United after SAF got the sack, shortly after Sir Bobby became chairman (similar to a post further up).

Emile Heskey at QPR.

The best set I had was when I holidayed a game for 20 years or so on a failed attempt at creating a World League. Steven Gerrard was a coach for Sao Paulo, Heskey managed Liverpool, Bobby Zamora in charge at Fenerbahce, and I think Agbonlahor was at Barca.

Archived