+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strangest Managerial appointment

Amateur

Default Strangest Managerial appointment

Was just wondering what the strangest managerial appointment people have seen so far?

Apart from Moyes leaving to join Villa ( which happens everytime I play the game it seems ) I have seen Wenger leave title winning Arsenal to join 11th placed Roma, Mancini leave Man City to join 16th placed Liverpool and most bizarre of all as a Tranmere fan John Barnes being linked to a number of high profile jobs before being appointed Southampton manager, as someone who witnessed Barnes managerial talents firsthand at Tranmere I feel sorry for the Southampton fans in the game

Amateur

Arsene Wenger left Arse to join Sevilla :S

Semi Pro

Tony Mowbray on FM10 taking over at Man U after I was sacked, I took over Celtic after that

Amateur

Marco Materazzi getting the Grimsby job!

Amateur

2012. Spartak Moscow fire 43 year old Valeri Karpin, hire 72 year old József Szabó who hasn't coached since 2005.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by hejh0pp View Post
    Arsene Wenger left Arse to join Sevilla :S
    Inter Milan in my game.

Amateur

In 2012 (March/April ish) MK Dons have reappointed Paul Ince for the third time!
    Last edited by Urzzz; 03-12-2010 at 19:42.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Urzzz View Post
    In 2012 (March/April ish) MK Dons have reappointed Paul Ince for the third time!
    haha, thats a great one.

Amateur

Wenger to Seville on mine also, Javier Aguirre took over at The Emirates.

Amateur

Haha..the strange thing i did see is within a month of Gregorio Manzano taking over Mancini at Man City, he had declared his interest in the Man Utd job.....needless to say, the fans were fuming haha

Amateur

Ferguson stepped down after 2 seasons, and was surprisingly replaced by Gary Neville who has no managerial experience.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Woody_CUFC View Post
    Lol, same here! Mancini was sacked and took over Arse after Wenger left for Spain and Aguirre took over Citeh. Then Mancini was sacked and Aguirre took over Arse and now Chris Hughton is managing Citeh

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Woody_CUFC View Post
    Aguirre took over at Arsenal in my game as well - didn't last much more than a year though (they came 6th) and his successor was.....Arsene Wenger!

Amateur

Wenger left for Benfica on my save, with Martin O'Neil going to Arsenal... also Gary Neville got the ENGLAND job after Capello stepped down after the Euro 2012 Championships.

Amateur

Tony Mowbray joined Man City on mine after Redknapp was sacked 2nd season. Pulis left 9th place Stoke to join 19th place Boro!! Along with numerous assistant managers walking straight into Prem jobs without even being caretaker yet!

It's seriously messed up.

Amateur

Gary Neville taking his first managers job at bristol city had been a coach for a year at ipswich

Amateur

Gary Megson becoming england u20's manager

Third Team

Ricardo Gardiner took over at Chelsea in 2014 on mine.

Part-Timer

Emile Heskey to Norwich in 2012

Reserves

I got a good one yesterday. I'm managing in level 9 and I'm still in December 2010 (as in real life!)

In the first week of December (i.e. NOW!) in the Premier League, Allardyce got sacked. Who got the Blackburn gig? Shearer.

No surprise there; the irony was 2 days later Hughton got dismissed, and of course the cliched messiah was unavailable.

So, who was the 'Toon job given to? Only Steve Stone. WTF????

The only reason I can think of appointing him, is that he looks like Shearer, and maybe Ashley had sunk a few too many pints on the terrace.

Has Stoney come up for anyone else?

Amateur

United offering ME the job after just 3 not very successful seasons at Portsmouth..

Well, I managed to get them in the Premier league after 2 seasons, and got 14th in my first seasons, but I do feel it was a bit out of the blue, considering my automatic experience

Semi Pro

Gary Johnson left Peterbrough, just clinched promotion to the Premier League, to take the Sheffield United job, no chance of a play off place with a few games to go. Then of course come the end of the season new Posh manager Lee Clark is the messiah for getting them promoted according to the news...

First Team Squad Member

Sam Allardyce to Arsenal on mine.

Mick McCarthy to Arsenal currently on mine

Rio Ferdinand, Ryan Giggs have both managed Villa.

Amateur

Hodgson came 4th, 2nd & 6th in the league before he retired, won champions league 2011, and came second 2012, reached two semi finals in th FA-cup and won World Club Ch'ship 2012. That was apparently enough success for the Liverpool board, so in 2013 they hired.... Rafa Benitez....
    (Got the sack halfway through the second season managing Inter, after 5 wins, 3 draws and 6 losses in the first 14 Serie A games)

He seems to continue where he left off, and won only 1 of 6 pre-season friendlies, and lost in the EURO cup 3rd qual round vs the mighty Strĝmsgodset

Part-timer

i saw michel salgado take over at cambridge city and the game said he was an 'unknown manager', wtf!

Youth Team

Didier Drogba and David Moyes swapped places on mine, between Aston Villa and Everton.

Also Mancini, after getting the sack at City replaces 'Arry at Spurs, then got the Man Utd job after Phelan got sacked. Man City are on their 4th manager in 5 season so far on mine, this time it's Mick McCarthy's turn

Semi Pro
    Wishing he was at Fenway Park watching his beloved Red Sox

Steve McClaren getting the Bayern job after Wenger was sacked

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKB View Post
    Ferguson stepped down after 2 seasons, and was surprisingly replaced by Gary Neville who has no managerial experience.
    Paul McGuinnes (a United coach I think) got the job on my save....and he's won back to back Champions League with them!!

And Rafa Benitez has the England job after Capello quit in 2012.

Amateur

Gary Neville is a Don. That is all.

Amateur

Mick McCarthy to Liverpool on mine.
    Only to win the Premier League and the Champions League!

Amateur

Not all of these may be that strange but anyway...

Ancellotti - Italy
    Guardiola - Spain
    Wenger - Barcelona
    Mancini - Chelsea
    Redknapp - Man. City
    and like many of you... Aguirre - Arsenal.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Serg View Post
    Not all of these may be that strange but anyway...

Ancellotti - Italy
    Guardiola - Spain
    Wenger - Barcelona
    Mancini - Chelsea
    Redknapp - Man. City
    and like many of you... Aguirre - Arsenal.
    Guardiola left to take the Spain job on my Newcastle save too...and I was promptly offered the Barca job. Stayed on with the Geordies though. There have been some strange premier League appointments in my game. Massive spending Man City currently have Curbishley at the helm, Gianluca Zambrotta has pitched up at Bolton, Gary Megson at West Ham and Mick McCarthy is now Spurs boss, after Harry retired. G Nev lasted 10 months as Blackpool manager and is currently unemployed.

Also some unexpected, well to my eyes anyway, ex Toon players showing up as managers. Joey Barton is now Burnley boss at the tender age of 32. Alan Smith turning up at Morecambe.

Amateur

Alan Pardew some how got the Newcastle job on mine after Hughton got fired mid-season... oh no wait.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by phnompenhandy View Post
    I got a good one yesterday. I'm managing in level 9 and I'm still in December 2010 (as in real life!)

In the first week of December (i.e. NOW!) in the Premier League, Allardyce got sacked. Who got the Blackburn gig? Shearer.

No surprise there; the irony was 2 days later Hughton got dismissed, and of course the cliched messiah was unavailable.

So, who was the 'Toon job given to? Only Steve Stone. WTF????

The only reason I can think of appointing him, is that he looks like Shearer, and maybe Ashley had sunk a few too many pints on the terrace.

Has Stoney come up for anyone else?
    That's just crazy!

Could the edited databse not have anything to do with that though (The Steve Stone part)?

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
    Ricardo Gardiner took over at Chelsea in 2014 on mine.
    Now this really is crazy! Seriously messed up.

Part-Timer

Guardiola - Spain
    Had this one, too. Didn't strike me as strange, other than the appointment was made mid-year and his entire coaching staff left in one of those mass exiles. They appointed Manzano, ex-Sevilla.

Strangest thing I've seen is Hughton getting sacked; there was no list of favourites for replacement, but there was a comment about how the board would need to search through the usual list of "Football Manager" applications before finding a real replacement. Never seen that before. Good touch.

Semi Pro

I forgot Shearer getting the Chelsea job on my Newcastle save...and then getting sacked when my Newcastle team beat them twice in a week. He got replaced by Moyes I think.

And Emile Heskey has just taken the Liverpool job in May 2015

Amateur

well i was waiting to know who was going to replace ferguson after he retired .. SURPRISE!!!

avram grant!

lets hope that never happens one day. :'(

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    Tony Mowbray joined Man City on mine after Redknapp was sacked 2nd season. Pulis left 9th place Stoke to join 19th place Boro!! Along with numerous assistant managers walking straight into Prem jobs without even being caretaker yet!

It's seriously messed up.
    Is it messed up? Numerous assistants go straight in to management, with or without their current club - Sammy Lee, Phil Brown, Steve McClaren, Ricky Sbragia.

Part-Timer

Ronnie Moore won Div 2 with Rotherham and then got the Man City job. Mancini who was sacked (City came 16th) went to Arsenal who sacked Wenger when he finished second in the League and won the FA Cup!

Amateur

Ive also just Mick McCarthy win the league, this time with Spurs, John Barnes has just got a job back in management with Swansea and Sir Bobby Charlton has just become chairman of Manchester United and sacked Ferguson within a couple of weeks

Amateur

Heskey at Reading, Bellamy at Notts Forest and Higgenbottom at Huddersfield!

Part-Timer

None of these are that strange, as in unrealistic.

Remember Zola to West Ham? He was a coach in every previous FM since he retired. That's like the Wiltord one.

Prosinecki has just become a manager - how many of us have him coaching our attackers?

Ferdinand has just become Wolves manager on my game. Ancellotti left Chelsea for Man Utd when SAF retired. Mancini went to Chelsea, having been replaced at City by Aguirre. Aguirre then left City for Arsenal when Wenger left for Roma. Quique Flores came in to replace Aguirre but has just been fired.

Mike Phelan is the Birmingham manager - direct poach whilst Asst. at United.

Amateur

In my game, Moyes to Villa of course, then Shearer to Everton, Everton had a tycoon takeover and sacked Shearer, hired Aguirre, Ancelotti went to City and Shearer went to Chelsea, Ferguson retired and Aguirre went to Man U, Shearer went back to Everton, before eventually getting sacked and replaced with Aguirre, Man U hiring Erik Mombaerts. This was in the space of about 5 years. Oh and at some point Liverpool hired Mick McCarthy who is doing a fine job.

Third Team

Alan Pardew got the Newcastle job.

I think my game is bugged.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tranmereforever View Post
    Apart from Moyes leaving to join Villa ( which happens everytime I play the game it seems )
    At one point during the summer irl, Sky Bet had Moyes odds on to take the Villa job after Martin O'Neill left.

I don't think that move is unrealistic at all. Sometimes managers need a new challenge and probably a bigger transfer budget at Villa.

Im glad to see managers moving around and getting sacked more often in FM11. It was far too easy for AI managers to keep their jobs in previous versions.

Amateur

wenger to juventus, --- mancini to arsenal,---o'neill to man city,---redknapp to liverpool,----hodgson to spurs,---moyes to chelsea,---ancelotti to man u,---redknapp retires, benitez back to liverpool

but the craziest of all, gianluca vialli manages st johnstone

Amateur

I can quite safely trump you all. Neil Warnock to Chesterfield

Third Team

Moyes went to Tottenham in my game, but got sacked and was re-hired by Everton.

Harry replaced Mancini at City.

Phelan took over at United after SAF got the sack, shortly after Sir Bobby became chairman (similar to a post further up).

Emile Heskey at QPR.

The best set I had was when I holidayed a game for 20 years or so on a failed attempt at creating a World League. Steven Gerrard was a coach for Sao Paulo, Heskey managed Liverpool, Bobby Zamora in charge at Fenerbahce, and I think Agbonlahor was at Barca.

i agree, what a fuking stupid idea

Amateur

im in 2013 and have got Michael Owen managing a premier league Sheffield Utd

Amateur

Aidy Boothroyrd went back to Watford, and about two weeks later, Simon Grayson went back to Blackpool!

Youth Team

Simao managers Blackburn for me, with Drogba at Man Utd. It's interesting at least I guess

Semi Pro

Steve Bruce at Barcelona. In 2014.

Remember where you heard it first. In case you fancy a flutter.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bracken View Post
    Drogba at Man Utd.
    Golden!! Haha.

Amateur

Can't remember which, but there was some still active player of 28 years old getting the job at some dutch prem club. Unlikely to say the least.

Semi Pro

Holger Osieck (current Australia manager) retired and was replaced by John Doyle, an Australian manager without much of a reputation. But then a year later he retired and was replaced by an Irish manager with an obscure reputation who'd just retired from playing in Ireland's lower leagues.

Part-Timer
    \'Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience\'

A few versions ago. Marco Van Basten lost the Holland job and took over at Rusden & Diamonds in League 2.

Amateur

Absolutely brilliant thread!

There's a couple of bizarre ones in my save. Some quite realistic too though.

I'm not on my comp at the moment but as I remember it;

Heskey is at Hull, Roy Keane patched things up with the Irish FA and took charge of the national team.

With ruud van Nistelrooy replacing him at Ipswich.

Rafa's returned to Liverpool to undo any progress Hodgson made before retiring

But strangest of all, or maybe not, is United admitting that Sir Alex is irreplaceable by not bothering to try. He retired before the end of last season with the team top of the premier league. They offered me the role but I decided to stick with the squad I was building at saints. I'm entering the following November and they're still managerless. Even Mike Phelan has left to boss Spurs!

Not that they apparently need a boss being reigning champions and top of the pile!

EDIT:
    Mick McCarthy is at Man Citeh. Javier Aguirre is at Arsenal (obviously!) but with Franco Baldini as his no.2!! Paul Jewell is at Newcastle (Hughton is Jobless). Quique Flores is at Inter. Delio Rossi at AC Milan (from Palermo). Luigi De Canio at Roma (from Lecce). Martin O'Neill has been and gone at Portsmouth. Where Gordon Strachan has taken over, Steve Bruce is at Everton, Zola is at Empoli, Bruno Labaddia has joined Juventus from Schalke. Where he has been replaced by Steve McClaren

Oh and Van Nistelrooy has been fired at Ipswich to be replaced with Kevin Blackwell.
    Last edited by QuinnRobot; 10-12-2010 at 17:44. Reason: Additional Information

Amateur

David Beckham just became Crystal Palace manager.

Roberto Mancini took charge of Chelsea.

Fergie retired and was replaced by..... Hermann Hreidarsson.

Semi Pro

[QUOTE=Henry Gruby;6250461

Fergie retired and was replaced by..... Hermann Hreidarsson.[/QUOTE]

This really is tragic. I though this game was meant to be realistic?

Amateur

The weirdest appointment I've seen was Benitez leaves Inter to manage England (England love to gamble don't they!). I've then seen Pep Guardiola quit Barcelona after winning Champions League two years in a row to manage Spain. Realistically, the Assistant Manager for Barcelona stepped up and took over.

And the many, many merry-go-rounds of manager swapping.

(Funny enough. Aguire is doing a good job at Man. City buying Ronaldo...) and i believe Landrup? is managing Arsenal and bought Maicon from inter.
    Last edited by Novox; 10-12-2010 at 20:23.

Amateur

Ledley King retired as a player and joined Chelsea as a coach.

Michael Owen coach at Colchester.

Paul Scholes coach at Bolton.

Amateur

In in 2014 and so far i have seen.............
    Wenger - Inter Milan
    Moyes - Chelsea
    Benitez - Liverpool!! (on verge of sack 10th)
    Alan Shearer - Man City
    Marvin Andrews??? - Man Utd

and Steve Bruce is the ONLY serving manager of a premiership club that is still in charge of a club back in 2010.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    A few versions ago. Marco Van Basten lost the Holland job and took over at Rusden & Diamonds in League 2.
    LOL now thats GOLD!!!

Youth Team

David Beckham took over Liverpool in mine .... i cried!

Amateur

Alan Pardew at Newcastle. Wait a minute...

Amateur

how about this little beauty?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Amateur

Mine is actually me as manger. I started at Sheff Utd, was sacked after a season then out of football a couple of seasons before AC milan offered me a contract.

Here is a link when I originally posted it. Seeing if its a bug and will need tuning for the patch. http://community.sigames.com/showthr...ise-to-the-top

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by tranmereforever View Post
    Was just wondering what the strangest managerial appointment people have seen so far?

Apart from Moyes leaving to join Villa ( which happens everytime I play the game it seems ) I have seen Wenger leave title winning Arsenal to join 11th placed Roma, Mancini leave Man City to join 16th placed Liverpool and most bizarre of all as a Tranmere fan John Barnes being linked to a number of high profile jobs before being appointed Southampton manager, as someone who witnessed Barnes managerial talents firsthand at Tranmere I feel sorry for the Southampton fans in the game
    Moyes left for Villa in my game too.

Amateur

gary neville as valencia youth coach in Jun 2012, promoted to manager in Dec 2012, sacked in Mar 2013...
    epic...
    Last edited by cyclone82; 12-12-2010 at 08:09. Reason: forgot to mention the team name to show the 'epicness'...

Amateur

I've just seen Chris Sutton been appointed England Under 21s Manager after Stuart Pearce replaced Capello after Euro 2012

Amateur

Some strange things here as well:

- Deschamps has left Marseille to take over FRANCE squad after Laurent BLANC not being able to qualify France for Euro cup, in 2011 (ok, could be fine, even if Blanc was with a 6 win on going...). Then, everyone could think that Blanc would take over OM (that chased him a lot in the past, Blanc being 1 of the top player from that team in the glorious years)... but no, the one that have been elected was:

Alain Gouaméné from Ivory Coast !!!!! incredible... this one has not even 10 in tacticals, ...

Crazy...

And Blanc and Deschamps' 2nd in command, that act as shadow for them since they are training (Gasset and Stephan) have not followed their "boss"... not credible too.

- R Denouex has taken over Paris SG, after 7 years without managing !

Amateur

As well as Simon Grayson being back at Blackpool, Sam Allardyce has just been sacked as Blackburn manager, one day after it happened in real life!

Amateur

On FM10, in my Newcastle game Man Utd ended up as a mid table team. When Fergie retired they appointed Cannavaro, sacked him when we beat them in the FA Cup final after a poor league finish then appointed Mowbray who didn't do any better, then appointed Mick McCarthy who managed to get them to about 8th.

Amateur

Former Spain full back Mariano Pernia taking over in 2012 my local Larne FC, then newly promoted to the Irish Premiership. Equivalent to maybe Blue Square North/South or below

Banned

Some unknown guy took over AC Milan in 2012, after Allegri was sacked. He is on the verge of sacking now, in 2013.

Amateur

Lee Trundle got the Worcester City job in my game (2013)

Amateur

Alex Mcleish appointed as Chelsea manager

Amateur

Maniche took over at Weymouth for his first job. Innitially I thought this was strange but then I saw his stats (nothing above 8!) so its about his level.

Amateur
    Bradford - Home of the Capital One Cup Runners Up 2013 & League 2 Playoff Winners 2013

Ryan Giggs was player manager at Dagenham :S

Youth Team

a few of my fm10 favs

Frank Rijkaard at Arsenal
    Max Tonetto at Juventus (was sacked by Serie B side Siena just befor joining)
    Martin O'Neill at Fiorentina
    Zlatan at Livorno
    Henrik Larsson at Toon (he then left for the more glamorous Bristol City job)

Reserves

Just as I quit my game last night in May 2011 I got a news item stating Balotelli had submitted a transfer request, and Mancini had been sacked (Citeh finished about 14th). Dunno who gets appointed yet, but the candidates touted for the job are John Toshack and Alan Curbishley! Arabs run out of oil??

EDIT: Woah! Who got the Citeh job? REDKNAPP!! Walked out on Spurs.

Who got Spurs? Allardyce!! Levy hates all that attractive football?

Oh and another sacking at Newcastle - After Hughton, Steve Stone got the job but is dumped as the season ends. The usual suspects mentioned above (Tosh, Curbs, Megson) in the frame.
    Last edited by phnompenhandy; 16-12-2010 at 06:40.

Part-Timer

Juander Ramos - Spurs - 4/1/2015 - having a seconf go at the job

Third Team

Tony Mowbray just got the England job

Amateur

Shefki Kuqi, Michael Owen and Rio Ferdinand all at Sunderland after I was sacked after working wonders for them. Rio on the brink.

Radostin Kishishev at Chelsea (sacked almost immediately)

Martin Petrov working wonders at Man City.

I'm at Liverpool in 2018. Happy days. Paulo Henrique is awesome!!

Amateur

Pedrinha at Utd, Bruce at Newcastle, Strachan at Tottenham, Dennis Wise at Albion, Rio at West Ham, Flores at Arsenal, peter Reid at Villa, Grant at Chelski, McLeish at Liverpool (after they re-hired and sacked Bentiez twice lol) and Ancelotte currently at Citeh...this in 2019 on my save...

Though there have been numerous ridiculous appointments, had Pardew sacked a month after taking over at Boro despite winning 3 of his 4 games in charge....

+ Reply to Thread