+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to combat a high defensive line?

Amateur

Default How to combat a high defensive line?

My assistant manager always says that he is concerned that we always struggle against teams with high a high defensive line. How do I counteract this?

Amateur

I say fight fire with fire. I used to start games playing slightly deep, but changed it to play slightly pushed up with closing down on pressing more. Depending on what defenders I have i may play offside as well. I often use the hassle opponents command during matchplay as well.

Amateur

I would imagine fast strikers and lots of through balls and probably long balls too

Amateur

I'll second that as well mufc-paton. I play at least one quick striker, then set them as target man with supply run on to ball. This coupled with through balls and long balls over the top should lead to a lot of chances

First Team Squad Member

with fast attackers, direct ball and passes into space, player ball targer man for him to run onto, counter attack......

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by MrPompey View Post
    with fast attackers, direct ball and passes into space, player ball targer man for him to run onto, counter attack......
    This. Counter attacking and/or pacey forwards can make the opposition regret leaving so much space behind their line. Watch Monday's El Clasico for reference...

Banned

Long balls but I never see long balls in my game so its pretty hard to encounter.

Reserves

What level are you managing? I manage a club in Level 9, where nearly all DCs are slow and lumbering. Therefore, I play a deep D-line myself and play lots of through balls for my nippy target man to run onto. They'll be acres of space behind the slow defence and I bag loads of goals with this simple strategy. The oppo managers ought to drop their D-lines to counter me, but they don't think of it! (yet).

+ Reply to Thread