How come there isn't any voice-over commentary in this game?

• SI Staff

I doubt it wouldn't really work for a number of reasons

- Would only be able to be used when watching the match at a slower than normal speed

- A lot of commentary lines would have to be recorded in multiple different languages

- What about team names?

- What about player names?

- We had it in CM2 and it was rubbish

- Would only be able to be used when watching the match at a slower than normal speed

- A lot of commentary lines would have to be recorded in multiple different languages

- What about team names?

Everything you stated is used in the FIFA games and it works out brilliantly.

I don't see the problem.

• SI Staff
Everything you stated is used in the FIFA games and it works out brilliantly.

I don't see the problem.

- In FIFA you can't speed up the game as much as FM so the commentary is always on unless you turn it off

- There are more active teams in FM than there are in FIFA

- There are more players in FM than there are in FIFA

- In FIFA you can't speed up the game as much as FM so the commentary is always on unless you turn it off

- There are more active teams in FM than there are in FIFA

- There are more players in FM than there are in FIFA

You forgot about regens as well ;)

Would love to see the system that incorporates that!

It's been tried in a very early FM and was dreadful, and would be just as dreadful now.

Personally I'd love it and would have it on all the time. Technology has moved on in quantum leaps since CM2, and anyway in those days I played SWOS and it had wonderful commentary. Was it Jonathon Pearce? I'll never forget the "He-hey, the Iceman cometh" when the penalty taker stepped up.

Actually making it work for Regens is not that difficult. Think about it.. Every regen in the game carries random first and last name based on the nationaility. All names are programmed in the database so regens are only reusing current names in random fashion. In order to have this work for commentary one would need to separate first and last name and record them separately. Now when commentator is talking he would just bring up the recorded file for first name and then last name thereby combining it to full regen name. Recording all these names is however a big task but not impossible, it would just consume a lot of data. Personally I wouldn't mind commentators along with key highlights but it would have to work for little bit more than normal speed.

- What about team names?

- If you have commentary - force the speed of the highlight to normal if the commentary is on

- Would probably take less time and be more welcome than several different translations of the press conference questions ;)

- Individual club badges and kits have been created, surely a one worded soundbite of each team name isn't a massive overhead in comparison

- Again it's just saying one word if you're picking surnames, recording them wouldn't take as long as chopping up the sound file, but maybe just pick the most popular ones and leave the community to fill in the blanks. Either that or just don't include player names and make the commentary revolve around "he" and "they" and generic other comments

- Do it better then

I think it's a great suggestion that should probably be re-visited by the powers that be, with the inclusion of matchday style TV views, with nicely built up stadiums and ever improving levels of animation, adding matchday sounds is just as important to some, and commentary forms part of that.

Would hope the idea isn't completely dismissed.

I would rather have authentic voice commentary then text scrolling on the screen saying things like "Yeeeeeeeeeeeahhhhawwwwwww!" Besides the text-scrolling commentary goes by so fast you have to stare at it to get everything.

Sorry but I hope one day they put real voice commentary in.

I play Pro Evolution Soccer with a friend of mine.

We play about 3 nights a week, for 2 hours a night.

In these 6 hours, we play about 30 matches.

After 2 weeks, I'm just tired of hearing the damn commentary saying the same things over and over and incorrectly and at the wrong pitch ...

In FM, I play up to 60 games in an evening. Now that would be fun for like 1 hour.

And yes, I could (and will) just shut it of, like I did with the 3d match engine. But still, I'd like to see effort, time and money spent on other things, like an AI for the opposition or so.

We're football managers though. Sitting/standing in the dugout/technical area. Why on earth would we have commentary? :confused:

For the same reason we already have visual commentary? Or can see a 2D overhead representation of the game, or pause the match at any time so we can look at pass percentage stats. :p

I remember there was Peter Brackley on CM2 Italia, the first version of CM I had. Could hardly ever install it to work though. (Or the game for that matter, spent ages when I first got it reading the manual thinking "This game sounds amazing!" before I made the installation work.)

I forgot about the database size and amount of players/teams, etc.

Number. Sorry.

• 1 month later...

I wish for the day when we can get enthusiastic South American "Goalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll..." commentaries during pre-season friendlies against amateur sides...

There might already have been commentary in for all I know. The sounds has always been so poor in the past, that once the game is installed, I go to options and turn the sound off (amongst other changes).

They say you learn something new every day, I just have. I didn't have a clue that it had been tried in CM2. I will have to see if I can find the disk and give it a whirl, to see how bad it was.

I do my own commentary and I know I can't be the only one.

"And that's just ridiculous, I can't believe my eyes. Dirk Kuyt has just run 70 metres with the ball, beaten two players and scored, I'm going to jump off a bridge now as this cannot be happening in real life so I must be dreaming"...

I play Pro Evolution Soccer with a friend of mine.

We play about 3 nights a week, for 2 hours a night.

In these 6 hours, we play about 30 matches.

After 2 weeks, I'm just tired of hearing the damn commentary saying the same things over and over and incorrectly and at the wrong pitch ...

In FM, I play up to 60 games in an evening. Now that would be fun for like 1 hour.

And yes, I could (and will) just shut it of, like I did with the 3d match engine. But still, I'd like to see effort, time and money spent on other things, like an AI for the opposition or so.

Wow......mind boggling

I remember there was Peter Brackley on CM2 Italia, the first version of CM I had. Could hardly ever install it to work though. (Or the game for that matter, spent ages when I first got it reading the manual thinking "This game sounds amazing!" before I made the installation work.)

Number. Sorry.

What a sad guy

• 2 weeks later...
first thing i do when i install FM is to turn off all the sounds so i would never find a use for this at all.

Me too.

Commentary would only work for those who watch highlights at normal speed, any quicker or slower and it wouldn't work.

I feel it's more realistic WITHOUT audio commentary. Do managers have headphones, listening to commentators during matches? Not really. It would be even more realistic if there was a Manager Camera View, along with the others, like Broadcast, or Sideline, etc. It would probably be a lot of work in terms of graphics, but it's worth trying. If it turns out to be a bad idea we can always use the other camera options.

Archived