Tonbridge-Rise of the Angels

roganp

TonAngelsCrest1.gif

Early years

Tonbridge Football Club was formed in October 1947 following the suggestion of local businessman and founder chairman Mr. Herbert Portch, and was one of four clubs to be elected to the Southern Football League for the 1948-49 season. The club took out a lease on the Angel Ground, formerly the home of Kent County Cricket Club and named after the nearby hotel, 'The Angel'. Hence Tonbridge FC became known as 'The Angels'. A crowd of around 5,000 turned up for the club's opening league fixture against fellow newcomers Hastings United but the match was lost 2-1, with Albert Robson scoring the club's first ever goal. Progress was slow in the early days, with the club rock bottom at Christmas and with Harold Hobbis taking over as manager from Dunoon and Marshall Raybould, but the club would improve their form in the second half of the season to finish third from last.

Recent times

The 2004 re-organisation of the English football league system saw the Angels placed in the Isthmian League Premier Division. They were relegated in their very first season but bounced back at the first attempt, in the most dramatic of fashions, after a rollercoaster 2005-06 season. Tonbridge were undefeated until October but a bad run of results threatened to undermine the promotion bid, but the Angels always did enough to stay in the play-off places and a late surge secured third place and with it home advantage in the play-offs. Tooting & Mitcham were defeated in the Semi-Final match before a dream Final pitted the Angels at home to old Kent rivals Dover Athletic. The Lilywhites were beaten 3-2 in front of a new record Longmead Stadium attendance of 1,863. The Angels finished the 2006-07 season in 11th place with striker Jon Main scoring 44 goals in all competitions. They then went on to better that by finishing 8th in 2007-08, missing out on the playoffs by a matter of points, despite having been languishing second from bottom when new manager Tommy Warrilow took over. Season 2008-09 saw the Angels finish in third place, reaching the play-off semi-final where they lost to Carshalton Athletic. The next season (2009-10) saw the Angels miss out just narrowly on acquiring a Play-off place.

Information taken from Wikipedia

Manager Profile

I will be doing this as apart of dafuge's FM11 challenge and will be posting season reviews hope you enjoy following my career.

Carrer Record

Season    League                League position    Other acheivments
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    Blue Square South        2nd            Playoff's- Lost in final

Tonbridge Angels- Blue Square South- Season 2011/12

We were predicted to go down this season but I was confident that we could be comfortable in mid-table and at a push challenge for a play-off spot

League Table

League position graph

Play-off semi-final Leg 1

Play-off semi-final Leg 2

Play-off final

After a great season in the league and a brilliant performance in the semi-final I was gutted we lost in the play-off final especially after the game was at our home ground and we managed to come from 2 down to equalise but in the end my players we knackered and they pounced.

Transfers 1

Transfers 2

Squad

A crzay season in terms of transfers lot's of young players came in with some deadwood being released the main problem with the squad was fatigue I will be looking to work on the player's fitness. A new goalkeeper and some wingers will be my top priority next season.

F.A Cup- Not much happened here really disappointed that we went out so early.

FA Trophy- We should have gone further in this cup losing at home to lower opposition.

Key players:

Callum Ball- Released from Derby a really talented striker.

Tyler Sheppard- Didn't make the grade at Yeovil but formed a great partnership with Ball. Unfortunately he got injured before the play-off final if he had played we may have won.

Cheick Toure- Brilliant season for the former Fulham man. Always seem to be in the right place at the right time for set-pieces managing to chip in with some important goals whilst being solid at the back.

Tony Diagne- Released from Nottingham Forest. Formed a solid partnership in the middle of defence with Toure.

Carrer Record

Season    League                League position    Other acheivments
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    Blue Square South        2nd            Playoff's- Lost in final

Aims for next season

My sole aim for next season is to get the team promoted hopefully with a few new additions we should be strong enough to go up

Archived