Shots vs Goals

I know it can get frustrating but it adds another challenge. I find signing players and being able to get a player you want to accept the terms you can afford more difficult than winning games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dart1234:

For me the game is unplayable (i.e. unfun) till this is sorted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know it shouldn't but I think tactics have a lot to do with this. It doesnt make sense because 37 shots should yield more than 1 goal. The same used to happen to me, I changed tactics rather my forwards and then hey presto, started getting results like my screen shot. I know it doesnt make sense and 1 thing shouldn't effect the other but I think it does. The match engine is totally out of whack!!!!!!!

You say that you changed your tactics and 'hey presto', but what exactly did you change?

The way you team played, the formation... what?

I find that the shot v goal thing exceedingly annoying and would like to be able to get back to enjoying the game like i could on 07. I dont want specifics, just what you changed. icon_confused.gif

I changed my formation. I was sort of experimenting, I went from 4231 to 442 Diamond. First I starting scoring lots but also letting in goals so I tweaked and tweaked until I am having (on average) reasonable games. I still get the odd 20+ shots to score 1 goal game but mostly the games are like my screen shot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cameron1911:

You say that you changed your tactics and 'hey presto', but what exactly did you change?

I find that the shot v goal thing exceedingly annoying and would like to be able to get back to enjoying the game like i could on 07. I dont want specifics, just what you changed. icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have 2 formation, first 4DC/R/L 3DM 1AM 2ST and the second 4DC/R/L 1DM 2MC 1AM 2ST. identic formation only the DM and MC position is different

i test it, playing the same ai team and the same player of mine, same manager talk etc... (..by loading it after a match without saving)

and the result is... with the first formation my player is easier to score then the second in the same situation, 1 on 1 situation, marked by 1 defender, crosing ball, etc. (on 2d display)

then i test it with other ai team, and the same result happen

so i think that defensive formation have a better chance scoring ata the same situation...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dart1234:

For me the game is unplayable (i.e. unfun) till this is sorted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you actually read the first post? Jack indicated that there is no problem as long as you play a decent tactic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anilones:

Did you actually read the first post? Jack indicated that there is no problem as long as you play a decent tactic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry but this has nothing to do with tactics. But I wouldn't say the game is unplayable or unfun that's just ridiculous.

I have a really good tactic I win most games and went 16 games won in a row last season so it's not affecting the game per se but it is affecting the realism etc. 20 odd good chances a game is unrealistic and needs to be sorted. I don't think my scorelines have been affected really as I still can win 5v0 etc.

The problem is that my team creates far too many good chances e.g.

As Bayern I played VFB Stuttgart, I had 32 chances and scored 2 goals they had 7 chances and scored 2 goals. Now the scoreline isn't unrealistic and for em to score more than 2 against my main title rivals would be rubbish but in the same context to have 32 chances against my main rivals really is impossible.

Watching the highlights and seeing so many chances wasted is what is driving people mad because if you think about it a majority of people posting on this topic are still winning it's just that the situation is unrealistic and takes away from the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack McQueen:

I changed my formation. I was sort of experimenting, I went from 4231 to 442 Diamond. First I starting scoring lots but also letting in goals so I tweaked and tweaked until I am having (on average) reasonable games. I still get the odd 20+ shots to score 1 goal game but mostly the games are like my screen shot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cameron1911:

I find that the shot v goal thing exceedingly annoying and would like to be able to get back to enjoying the game like i could on 07. I dont want specifics, just what you changed. icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

distinctly remember the arsenal-WHU game last season, arsenal had about 25 attempts on goal and never scored, we had one single effort just before half time and bobby zamora chipped lehmann to make it 1-0.

Our goalie had the game of his life that day much as i suspect the one on yours got the MOTM!

Strange yes, but certainly not beyond the realms of belief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BHAMILTON:

Dart 1234,

37 shots i goal....that is total Bs and you know it unless you are going into the data editor and wrealing havoc. I have never seen it to that extent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It can happen. Just because you havent seen it it doesnt mean it cant happen.

Same as even though I have the issue I will not assume that some wont be playing the game without this ever happening to them.

When will you understand this?!? icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kimz:

i have 2 formation, first 4DC/R/L 3DM 1AM 2ST and the second 4DC/R/L 1DM 2MC 1AM 2ST. identic formation only the DM and MC position is different

i test it, playing the same ai team and the same player of mine, same manager talk etc... (..by loading it after a match without saving)

and the result is... with the first formation my player is easier to score then the second in the same situation, 1 on 1 situation, marked by 1 defender, crosing ball, etc. (on 2d display)

then i test it with other ai team, and the same result happen

so i think that defensive formation have a better chance scoring ata the same situation... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree- its all to do with the crap way SI see the way football works.

A slow buildup that irl is actually easier to defend against will carve out superb chances.

Whereas a quick, buildup which catches the opposition on the backfoot is ineffective- even though the 2D shows clearcut chance after clearcut chance being created.

Its so skewed its unbelievable, and makes the challenge about beating FM, not applying real world tactical ideas as these simply do not work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

A slow buildup that irl is actually easier to defend against will carve out superb chances.

Whereas a quick, buildup which catches the opposition on the backfoot is ineffective- even though the 2D shows clearcut chance after clearcut chance being created.

Its so skewed its unbelievable, and makes the challenge about beating FM, not applying real world tactical ideas as these simply do not work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray Houghton is never wrong, he's a tactical genius. icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anilones:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

Its so skewed its unbelievable, and makes the challenge about beating FM, not applying real world tactical ideas as these simply do not work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray Houghton is never wrong, he's a tactical genius. icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BHAMILTON:

Dart 1234,

37 shots i goal....that is total Bs and you know it unless you are going into the data editor and wrealing havoc. I have never seen it to that extent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exhibit A and Exhibit B.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by json1901:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack McQueen:

I find that the shot v goal thing exceedingly annoying and would like to be able to get back to enjoying the game like i could on 07. I dont want specifics, just what you changed. icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

distinctly remember the arsenal-WHU game last season, arsenal had about 25 attempts on goal and never scored, we had one single effort just before half time and bobby zamora chipped lehmann to make it 1-0.

Our goalie had the game of his life that day much as i suspect the one on yours got the MOTM!

Strange yes, but certainly not beyond the realms of belief </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, it happens occasionally in real life. But in the game FAR more.

I've seen a real life team take a direct free kick on the edge of the opposition area by passing it backwards, and back again, and back again to the 'keeper which was nicked by an opposition player who scored..

If that happened every other match in the game, you'd be peed off.

Here are 2 more samples of the 0-1 loss. You have 20-30 vs 1-5 shots by your opponents, which had happened to me until I changed tactics and got the players who could fulfil my tactical aspirations. These are 2 recent games using my 442 diamond with tweaks and absolutely NO CHEATING as someone suggested.Shots_GoalsShots_Goals

I guess what I am saying is that its not always the AI's way as you can see from the screen shots. I do think it is somehow interlaced with the whacky match engine. The most important to remember that it is just a game and if you can live with 20 shots on goal instead of 2 then it is quite enjoyable. The game vs Gunners I was on the edge of my seat for the last 20 minutes and could imagine what it must be like in real life, I loved it!

Strange yes, but certainly not beyond the realms of belief

Yes but thats one game in 38 premiership games.

In FM it happens EVERY game

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by json1901:

Strange yes, but certainly not beyond the realms of belief </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand that its not beyond the realms of belief, and is very possible. But, when this is happening every game it becomes that little bit more annoying, understand?

I could cope with it happening every now and again, but continuously removes the realism for me. I cant remember for the life of me, one time that IRL a team had so many chances and scored so few consistantly.

Luckly, ive done what was adbised and have experimented with the tactics, and im having success, however limited.

It is unrealistic this shots to goals lark, for example in one game Huckerby had 9 one on ones for me and didn't score once, but in real life Huckerby rarely misses one on ones. (now if it was Jamie Cureton thats a different matter, lol)

I have also tweaked my tactic so many times, including using tactics from the forum (which I hate doing) that others have said have worked, and I still have this rubbish shots to goals ratio.

I wouldn't say the game is unplayable because of this, but incredibly unrealstic, and if SI do not sort this out in the next patch, then this will be the worst version of the game ever!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IMT:

It is unrealistic this shots to goals lark, for example in one game Huckerby had 9 one on ones for me and didn't score once, but in real life Huckerby rarely misses one on ones. (now if it was Jamie Cureton thats a different matter, lol)

I have also tweaked my tactic so many times, including using tactics from the forum (which I hate doing) that others have said have worked, and I still have this rubbish shots to goals ratio.

I wouldn't say the game is unplayable because of this, but incredibly unrealstic, and if SI do not sort this out in the next patch, then this will be the worst version of the game ever! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel your pain and totally agree with your attitude towards SI as I am heading that way my self. I have been playing this game since the very 1st CM was released by the Colyer Bros and when Danny Murphy and Richard Wright were the 'Wonderkids' and you are right, if the shot ratio isnt fixed then it will be amongst the poorer version of the game like CM3 or CM99. Anyway back to my match engine theory that your tactics have more to do with the number of goals scored per shots. Last night I was offer the Reds job and with a great deal of sorrow I left my beloved Spurs. So here is a screen shot of my 2nd game vs Newcastle using my old spurs tactic. It will take a few games for the boys to get into the groove but also Stevie G and Torres are out injured. I said that you must have the players who can play your system to work properly, but so far very promising.

I've noticed this too (hence why I came looking for this thread). It doesn't make the game unplayable but it is unrealistic. I checked up real stats vs game stats for Fernando Torres in my Liverpool game.

REAL STATS (all competitions)

Played 21 + 4 used as sub

Shots 66

On target 35

Goals 16

FM08 STATS (all competitions)

Played 21 + 2 used as sub

Shots 93

On target 50

Goals 10

The number of goals is a little low but believable, the ratio of shots on/off target seems about right too, its just the sheer number of shots he gets that he can't score (the majority of which appear to be 1 on 1 with the keeper from memory). If the stats matched up, then those 10 goals would have come from around 41-42 shots, 21-22 of which would have been on target yet the game stats are over double that in a game that I am trying to base on a solid defence. What would it be like with an expansive flowing strategy?

• 8 years later...
  • FrazT locked this topic

Archived