FM11: English small club to big club challenge: extended edition - Levels 7-11

roberto922 pm'ed me earlier in the year asking if I'd be interested in launching this challenge for FM11 so here it is. Thanks to roberto for the idea and much of the opening post below as cut n paste beats typing every time.

The Aim

To take a small club who were previously unplayable in the game from any level below the Blue Square North/South to Premier League and Champions League glory. The lower you start the greater the glory but feel free to start at any level below BSN/BSS.

Getting Started

Download RTC & his teams xml file which you can find in the opening post of their Editor's Hideaway thread. This currently has 2 files allowing you to add to Level 8 or Level 10, with Level 11 due soon. Instructions on using the files can be found on that thread along with known issues etc. so you should have a read through it before starting a game using the files as they are a work in progress.

Big thanks to those working on the updates, it's a huge commitment so a quick word of encouragement on their thread will let them know it's appreciated.

Load a game with the English leagues only, with your chosen selected, a large database (or smaller if preferred), the attribute masking, transfer boxes ticked and the add key staff box ticked as well. It's up to you if you want to use the Real Players option or not.

For those of you who want to add to the database to make things more competitive at the top level in the long term, you can set the database level to custom to add the players for the top clubs in each continent.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn't make a difference.

Add yourself as a new manager, the options are up to you but 'past experience' must be set to the lowest possible which is 'Sunday league footballer'. I understand that choosing different nationalities may have an effect later on, but I trust people will be sensible with this. I would expect people to use their own true nationalities.

Take over your chosen club from your chosen league and begin your journey to Premier League glory! Remember: Below BSS/N and if starting at level 7 it really should be one of the teams which just never get promoted in the first season due to their low rep. making them impossible to get for Dafuge's challenge.

You may not move clubs unless you are sacked. If you get sacked, you can either take over another club that satisfies the original criteria, or just start again.

Any form of international management is not allowed, until you have completed the challenge.

Assigning parent clubs and loaning players is completely up to the player, although it should be noted that on occasions a parent club can lend players which will make the first season or two slightly less of a challenge. It is completely up to you how you play this one, but everyone knows real men don't use parent club loans. Personally, I like to assign a parent club for financial benefits but never take any players on loan from them.

To sign a player, you must be able to scout them, this doesn't mean you have to, just he must be accessible to your scouts. If you have a foreign player on a free transfer who is willing to come on trial, you do not need to be able to scout them, as long as you have them at the club on trial so you can get a coach report on him. Also with the addition of Agents, if you're offered a player by an agent they can be signed.

Absolutely no external utilities such as scouting programs should be used and the database should be unedited with the obvious exception of RTC's update. It is advised that people should update using the latest patches as they are released, we have waited for 11.1 and the hotfix before starting so I would assume everyone has applied these.

Rules for this Thread

Player naming is allowed.

General discussion on tactics is allowed, although people should not refer to downloaded tactics. They are not banned, but I would expect the majority of people to avoid them.

Screenshots for anything are encouraged but please post links to your pictures, don't post them as images as it makes the pages slower to load. Posts included embedded images may be deleted without warning. Also with the addition of YouTube clips feel free to include these but again just as a link rather than embedded.

When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your manager's profile on the 25th June (although a week or 2 after that date is ok as nothing changes for a while).

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread, we want to hear the story of your club all the way through. Please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including at least a screenshot of a league table and the clubs transfer page. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier to pick out. When updating, to make it easier to see at a glance how you're doing if you could open your Season Update post with [username] [club name] - Current League (2***/2***) - Starting Division: [division in first season] (Starting level, level 10, 9 etc.)

How to Post a Screenshot

* While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

* Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

* Save the file as a JPEG

* Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket

* Post the direct Url to the image here.

How to post a YouTube vid.

* Not a notion as yet as Zavvi didn't bother posting my copy out until early this week so still waiting.

How to Add Links

At the top of the forum, go to 'quick links' then 'edit options'. At the bottom, select 'enhanced interface' and save the changes. This will give you access to the extra posting tools that make it easier to post links. Once you've done this, highlight the word you wish to turn into a link, then use the link button (looks like a little globe) to paste in the direct Url to your screenshot.

Finally...

This challenge takes patience and perseverance so encourage your fellow challengees as much as possible and best of luck to everyone.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't realise there were teams with Reserves in the newly playable leagues...could be a great way to ensure your youths get proper games later on in a save.

Yeah, it's currently at level 10 and from what I can remember. St Albans, Bedford, Hungerford, Dicot and Farnborough all have reserve teams in playable league. I'm hoping for more in level 11.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and thanks for the support...and good luck B.W.G in making history with your team...

I wasn't sure about going public with this team (Plymouth Parkway) but then we are having an amazing run at F.A Cup (Heck I need the cash... I regard raising funds by arranging Away Friendlies as cheating...:thdn: )and also I spent way too much time at FM10 playing Level 11 Teams so I don't miss that Level too much :rolleyes:

My first few impressions from FM11 is that rivals are much better at defending Corners....My team won many times at FM10 from corners kicks..This time around it is much more difficult to repeat that kind of trick....

Most teams will wait for a few games before singnig new players so all the free talents are just waiting for you to be picked ...I wish teams were more aggresive from start to fight for free transfers but that isn't the case...There are free players with lots of Teams intrested in them but no team is actually fight for signing them once I am offering them a contract...

So that fact gives you a huge advantage over other teams in signing all the better free players and making a good start of the Season...

I have learned from FM10 that if someone is really into a hard challenge he should resign from his team after one Season and will apply for a free team at the second Season...All other teams are way more difficult to beat as they already played together for a whole year while you are struggling to put together a decent team with no real talents lying about...Here is a new idea for a much more difficult challenge...You can go for an holday for the first year and start from second Season or better start unemployed for the first Season and than you can choose one of the lowest teams at the Leagues....How about that for a challenge:eek:

When other teams are inferior to your team by odds of the Media they tend to play 5-3-2 and steal a Draw...

I will update as more important events will ocuur....:thup:

Uri-Plymouth Parkway-Carlsberg SW Peninsula Premier (2010-11)-Level 10

FA Cup 2nd Round

Our fantastic run at the FA Cup lead us to beat 7 opponents before getting what I consider as a lucky draw.We were about to face one of the best teams in England,Barnsley who plays at npower Championship which is Level 2...

Lucky in a sense it was an away match before a large crowd which means that our share of the income will ensure the possibility of becoming a semi pro team if we manage to promote of this god forsaken Level...

Usually my team plays before 150 attendance at home but 10,200 people came to honor my team for reaching that high at the FA Cup...

Our profit from the match was 160,000 $ together with 150,000 $ from previous rounds made our season a huge success...

With 300,000 $ there will be no excuses for the board not to turn semi-pro in due time...

Result

Thanks Art of Drowning...We gave them hell :thup:...

By the way you should post your profile not to be disqualified for the challenge by daemonic ;)

Another reason I found to start from Season 2 for a Super Challenge is the fact that most teams in Level 10 do not have any Managers...They have only Assistant managers and they are all looking for Managers...

If I'm going to take another challenge with the upcoming build of Level 11 I will start unemployed for a whole year...Let all teams sign all their Managers and all free talents in Season 1 and then apply for a lousy team at Level 11 when the first season ends :eek:...That way my first season will not be boring as it is right now...

Season 1 - Ipswich Wanderers - Ridgeons Football League 1st Division - Champions

Me

League Table

Well I'm really annoyed that we lost a game and I'm annoyed how badly we performed in the Vase but other than that it was far too easy. We also won some rubbish suffolk cup against teams not even in playable leagues here. Signed about 60 players so haven't bothered with screenshots for, will show the best 3.

Key Players

Darren Barnard

Did a lot of searching on the staff screen for coaches who could also play and this 39 year old was absolutely deadly from set plays and his lack of pace doesn't matter at our level.

Gifton Noel-Williams

Having to fight off interest from bigger clubs for the big former Watford striker, class in the air.

Myles Tang

Only young but seems to have all the right stats in key places, could be good for a few years yet.

Summary

Was obviosuly great to be so dominant but I want to do better in the Vase next year, we've become semi pro now so not sure how easy it will be to hang on to our massive squad of amateurs.

Wow, you made that look like a walk in the park :eek:

/QUOTE]

Well as I mentioned Level 10 teams don't pose too much threat for an experienced Manager...

Well done Jamie:thup:...Take it easy on yourself when you loose and good luck next Season...

Hey ,you and Will are almost the same age only 1 month difference :cool:

B.W.G - Merthyr Town - Toolstation League Division 1(Level 10) - 2010/11

Transfers - Could not really get anyone in as they were not really interested. Hubbuck was picked up after being watched in the trial day and Brady was picked up by the scout near the end of the season and will have more an impact next season, he is also a ex-hammer youth academy product.

Competitions

League - Table - I lost in controversial fashion for the only game I lost. I was stunned though with how many we scored, don't think I will come close to that for a while. I have noticed that I need to improve my defence as its far too many conceded for my liking but with promotion, I hope that players will be more attracted to playing for us.

FA Cup - 2nd Round - I was no match for Bradfords quality but we kept it respectable and we had a massive payday as our finances were boosted to over £150k. We were pushing to equalize when Bradford hit their 2nd so it knocked the confidence a bit but I can say I'm proud of the lads.

FA Vase - Winners - I left it late to seal the win in what was a tight affair although I was a touch angry with throwing a 2 goal lead as well.

Les Phillips Cup - Winners - Welton are in the Toolstation Premier Division in which they came 7th. To win this convincingly was a morale booster for the new season especially if I can strengthen the weker areas.

Players/Awards

Liam Hubbuck was top scorer with 43 overall in which 33 of them came in the league. He also won Fans Player of the Year.

Andy Dale top the assists chart with 26.

A special mention to central defender Gareth Wharton who is the most ill-disciplined player that I have ever managed, over the season he collected 11 yellow cards and 3 reds :p

The Future

The board want promotion, should be able to manage without a complete overhaul. I have been given £1,600 a week for wages with a 18k transfer budget. I will convert the transfer budget into the wage budget to give me a bit extra in case I need depth.

Want another good cup run in the FA Cup run as well as try to retain the FA Vase.

Season      Division            Position     FA Cup    Champs League     Euro Cup     Acheivements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   Toolstation D1(L10)      1st       2nd Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion

Well Will a very impressive season...Especially winning the FA Vase...:thup::thup:You guys are fast and I hope other Managers will join the challenge to keep me company in Level 10....

I found that in FM11 it is harder to keep a cleen sheet and scores are much higher than FM10...as an example to that you can see at my first post a game that we won 5-4....

The matches in general are more entertaining to watch...I am actually watching every game in Full Match Mode so it takes me quite long to finish a Season...I also arrange Home Friendlies for my reserve players so I am just half way through the season...

I wish you guys both good luck in future seasons :)

Uri-Plymouth Parkway-Carlsberg SW Peninsula Premier (2010-11)-Level 10

Reaching almost halfway through the season, League games are pretty boring.Cup games are the only motivation to go forward and arranging home Friendlies against larger repution teams from Sctoland,Ireland and Wales for the sake of keeping my reserves at shape and watching decent rivals...

While playing away matches at the League I'm impressed to see the stand reserved for my supporters almost full...:cool:

So when I got the chance to play against the only team at my League capable of winning the Championshp it was a day to clelerate...At last some action in the League...

Usually I let my reserves to play many of my League matches while the stronger squad is responsible for Cup matches...But for this game I put my stronger squad..

Here is the situation at the League Table just before that game....

And here is the result ...

I have just noticed that my Chairman has changed his status from happy to stay to will listen to offers ...

That means a potential Takeover of the Club is imminent:(...

I should have picked a team with loves his Club status...Now my job is at stake...It happened to me with FM10 and I got sacked by the new Board even though I was successful...

Oh well ,I guess it was meant to be that I will play with the new build of Level 11:confused:...

This looks like a great challenge - I'll be looking at this once I've finished the Big Euro nation one.

BTW if anyone is interested, after looking through this month's 4-4-2 I noticed that Royal Marines AFC play in the South West Peninsula League Premier Division, Level 10. Could be an interesting challenge - you can try only signing Commandos! ;)

Archived