Question about Premier League place and Europa League qualification

I finished 6th with Fulham in my first season...and therefore should qualify for the Europa League and come in at the 4th Qualifying Round....but I didn't?

Reading won the League Cup and Tottenham who finished 8th won the FA Cup...is this the reason?

...bit gutted if this is a bug! But can't really find the rules so don't know if those two, without finishing in the top 7th, made my position disqualified from a place in the Europa League?

• Administrators

Yeah there are only UEFA Cup spots for the team that finishes 5th, and the two cup winners. If a cup winner finishes in the top four, more spots become available to high league finishers. You were unlucky!

Yeah there are only UEFA Cup spots for the team that finishes 5th, and the two cup winners. If a cup winner finishes in the top four, more spots become available to high league finishers. You were unlucky!

May I correct you

Technically, it would be, if a cup winner has already gained a UEFA place by other means domestically, then that UEFA spot goes to the highest league finisher not yet to have qualified for Europe

For example, if a team won both cups but finished 10th, 6th place would still qualify for the Europa League

Archived