Striker positions

So I play with a poacher and target man combo for strikers in a simple 4-4-2.

The target man hangs out high up the field, even with the opposition defensive line. The poacher sits between him and the midfield line.

Now maybe I'm crazy, but shouldn't the poacher be the one standing at the D line... especially considering the description.

It's finally annoyed me to the point I decided to bring it up. I don't change any of the roles default settings except long shots. So why in the world are these two in opposite placements on the field then they should be.

Except outlets always go to the poacher because he's not too far out.

I've actually had plays where the poacher headed the ball up to the TM... it's supposed to work the other way around. TM stands in the space between the D and mid, if the ball comes to him he can head it forward to the poacher on the D line so he can break into the open field with his speed -OR- the TM can just take the ball and holds up play for the rest of the team to transition.

I've actually had plays where the poacher headed the ball up to the TM... it's supposed to work the other way around. TM stands in the space between the D and mid, if the ball comes to him he can head it forward to the poacher on the D line so he can break into the open field with his speed -OR- the TM can just take the ball and holds up play for the rest of the team to transition.

Is your TM set to attack or support?

Is your TM set to attack or support?

Attack... but that still doesn't explain him being on the D line but not the poacher. If that was the issue then -both- of them sound be on the D. The poacher not being up there is the annoying part because it's all that particular player is good at, speed and running at/past the defense.

Attack... but that still doesn't explain him being on the D line but not the poacher. If that was the issue then -both- of them sound be on the D. The poacher not being up there is the annoying part because it's all that particular player is good at, speed and running at/past the defense.

Personally, I would set the TM to support- this is how I usually play on my Athletic saves and it works wonders.

Well regardless of personal opinions, look at the poachers role description in-game.

"The Poacher sits on the shoulder of the -last defender- looking to break the defensive line and run onto through balls from the midfield"

Word for word... so whatever the TM is doing the poacher should be on the D line, but he's not. I usually don't play with poachers so never noticed this before.

The attacking Target Man role discription says: "With an attack duty the target man will lead the line and open space for teammates to move into. My guess is this overrules the poachers settings as he is in position to move in on the TM when he gaines possession. Putting your target man on suport wil make sure he ''will look to win flick ons and play simple possession passes to bring team mates into play''. So my advice woud also be to put your TM on support as this will probably make your poacher the deepest man (if he's any good in the air arriving just a tad bit later in the box will likely lead to your TM having a couple more CCC as well)

its the way its done in real life or don't you watch many games micheal owen when he played for england with heskey heskey was futher up and owen ran on to the ball.

Archived