[FM11] It started with a Droylsden dream [ FM 2011 - Journeyman career ]

GioGio85

My varied career has so far seen me manage in England, Holland and Germany. Hopefully more success in other nations will follow :)

My career so far:

2010/11 (Unemployed) - N/A

2010/11 (Droylsden) - 13th in Blue Square North.

2011/12 (Droylsden) - 9th in Blue Square North.

2012/13 (Droylsden) - 1st in Blue Square North (Champions)

2013/14 (Droylsden) - 17th in Blue Square Bet Premier and FA Trophy winners.

2014/15 (Droylsden) - 7th in Blue Square Bet Premier.

2015/16 (Grimsby Town) - 1st in Blue Square Bet Premier (Champions)

2016/17 (Grimsby Town) - 10th in npower League 2.

2017/18 (Grimsby Town) - 17th in npower League 2 (upon leaving the club in December 2017)

2018/19 (Rotherham United) - 24th in League 2 (upon leaving the club after 7 games)

2018/19 (Oldham Athletic) - 2nd in Blue Square Bet Premier (Promoted via the playoffs)

2019/20 (Hartlepool United) - 13th in npower League 2.

2020/21 (Bristol Rovers) - 1st in npower League 2 (Champions)

2021/22 (Bristol Rovers) - 2nd in npower League 1 (promoted as runners up)

2022/23 (Bristol Rovers) - 24th in npower Championship (upon leaving the club in October 2022)

2022/23 (FC Dordrecht) - 1st in Eerste Divisie (Champions)

2023/24 (FC Dordrecht) - 7th in Eredivisie

2024/25 (FC Dordrecht) - 7th in Eredivisie and Dutch Cup winners

2025/26 (FC Dordrecht) - 6th in Eredivisie

2026/27 (AZ Alkmaar) - 1st in Eredivisie (Champions) and Dutch Cup winners

2027/28 (AZ Alkmaar) - 1st in Eredivisie (Champions) and Dutch Cup winners

2028/29 (AZ Alkmaar) - 8th in Eredivisie (upon leaving in November 2028)

2028/29 (FC Schalke 04) - 3rd in German First Division

2029/30 (FC Schalke 04) - 1st in German First Division (Champions) and German Cup winners

2030/31 (FC Schalke 04) - 1st in German First Division (Champions), German Cup winners and Champions Cup winner.

2031/32 (FC Schalke 04) - 1st in German First Division (Champions), Champions Cup winner, European Super Cup and World Club Championship Winner.

2032/33 (FC Schalke 04) - In progress....

International

2023 (Nigeria) - Afican Cup winners

2026 (Uruguay) - Out at group stage of World Cup

Patch 11.1 with most top European leagues loaded as well as the Brazilian and Argentinian top level leagues. Please note: player naming in this thread.

2010/11 – Unemployed

I started the game unemployed with the aim of building myself up a reputation as a lower league boss in the English game before eventually rising up the leagues and experiencing some success in some of Europe’s and the world’s biggest leagues.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2010/2011 – Droylsden (Blue Square North)

I took over the Droylsden managers job with the club under performing in 19th position. Having looked at the playing staff available to me it was obvious some fresh faces were required in all positions.

2 fullbacks joined the club; Darren Barnard and Tom Parratt.Both players were easily the best players at the club. I also managed to bring in a few midfielders to bolster my inept midfield, although these players were still not up to the required quality.

I hit the ground running and went unbeaten in my first 6 games and I held optimistic, if not exactly realistic, ambitions of reaching the playoffs.

These dreams were shattered when I went on another 6 game run; this time without scoring. My form fell apart as inconsistencies blighted the rest of my season. I finished 13th, 14 points clear of relegation but 21 points shy of a playoff place.

Season summary

Final position: 13th

Lots of room for improvement, especially where it came to scoring goals. Apart from the full back positions,the squad needs a complete overhaul.

Play of the year: Tom Parratt (Right back)

With no real strikers or midfielders of any quality to speak of, I had to rely on my fullbacks to produce the chances for the rest of the team. My tactics for that season saw me focus on getting my right back forward and as a result Parratt became an integral member of the team.

The other key players were:

- Gavin O’Callaghan (DRC)

21 year old Irish defender released by Sunderland. Decent stats in all key positions across the back

- Darren Barnard (DL)

37 year old left midfielder, no pace but processes a great cross and boasts some amazing set piece deliveries.

Droylsden! Good luck with them GioGio85, I had to pretty much gut the sqaud and start again on my save!

Thanks, I need all the luck I can get. My 2nd season is coming to a close and it has been tough -slow progress! The squad they seem to start the game with needs a lot of work, particularly the strikers.

2011/2012 – Droylsden (Blue Square North)

After a great preseason and beating some league 2 teams, I was confident my signings would serve me well. My strike force was pepped up and I was now confident I had 4 good strikers who could keep me in the goals all year round.

Defence was made stronger with the signing of a new back up left back, David Lowing, who I thought would provide invaluable cover for the 39 year old Barnard, even I thought it was cruel now to make him play every game. I also signed promising centre back, Cyrus Christie, who I thought would act as a good deputy to my newly appointed captain, the 21 year old O’Callaghan.

The rest of my signings were in midfield, as I desperately looked to bolster the quality I had in the middle of the park. Despite getting some younger players, I was still a little disappointed in the quality of midfielders I had brought in.

After last seasons disappointments I was determined to get off to a good start to keep my dreams of a play off spot alive. I started off in decent enough form, finding myself 7th after 6 games.

As the season wore on, I managed to fall into a rhythm of generally playing well at home and being beaten away.

I tried to address my inconsistencies by changing goalkeepers mid way through the season, bringing in journeyman GK Tony Warner. Sadly he didn’t live up to his billing as my saviour and was just as inconsistent as my former no.1 Paul Phillips.

I went through purple patches of remaining unbeaten, but the longest was an match unbeaten run at the end of the season. Despite my late charge to the upper echelons of the league it all came too late and I had to settle for 9th place.

Season summary

Final position: 9th

Much better season this year and although disappointed not to reach at least the playoffs, I felt my team was on the verge of coming together. I now had some fire power and my defence had the necessary quality at this level.

This summer I would have to focus on getting the midfield sorted out - I was a tad powder puff all season.

Player of the year: - Julian Cherel (CB)

French central defender whose experience proved invaluable. Solid throughout the year, which was pretty much unheard of compared to the rest of my players.

The other key players were:

- Cyrus Christie (CB)

Took a while for this talented 19 year old to come into the team but whenever he did he performed well. Pretty much a certainty to start next season after ousting my captain choice O'Callaghan from the starting line up.

- Jon McShane (SC)

15 goals in total (12 in the league), he was the poacher I lacked the previous year. Still young so i have bigger plans for him, shame he has a poor injury record.

- Peter Jones (MLRC)

10 goals from midfield; the only midfield player to offer anything going forward. Was either brilliant or awful. Still young so time to improve.

-Richard Offiong (SC)

Quick, quick, quick. His pace gets him through on goal on a regular basis but sadly misses the goal just as frequently. Offiong was like the rest of my team in that he performed in fits and starts; hitting exceptional purple patches and then going on massive goal droughts.

Yeah, Droylsden :cool:. I had a great save with Droylsden Gio as you will know with all the pm's I sent you lol. They always seem to be predicted to go up but do rubbish. You will find that you will have to start from scratch and look to bring new players for the first few seasons.

Big time; really need a new midfield!

Unlucky mate. I see you haven't got for the usual. 40 players in 40 players out every season then :D.

Not quite, turnover of players is quite high compared to normal but I like to remain within the wage budget where possible so i tend not to go overboard with the signings

Got rid of a load of the dead wood last summer though; hoping to get rid of the rest of the dross this time round :)

Some tips:

Get a decent scout and then set him roaming around Uk & Ireland, you will get some really great free agents.

Strikers/Defenders should have at least 12 pace/Acceleration

Leave the midfield to last, spend the least among of wage money on this area, remember this is hoofball were playing.

Keep tactics very simple, attack at home and then standard away play direct as well.

You most likely know these, hope i don't sound patronizing, just trying to help a fellow FM player :)

Do you always look at the free agents all through the year? If you don't then just keep checking as you will be suprised at the amountof players who wouldn't join in the summer that will in February.

I tend to bring in most of my players in the summer and try and get them settled in. I often look for 1 or 2 players over the course of the year to freshen up my squad so I do often go back to player I previously missed out on.

Ive found that quite a lot of freebies are opento joining my Droulsden revolution, however anyone attached to a club from the Conference Premier and above tend to have absolutly no interest in joining, even on loan!

You most likely know these, hope i don't sound patronizing, just trying to help a fellow FM player :)

Not patronising at all, thanks for the tips. I tend to do all of the things you have listed.

This time round I am opting against playing a direct game, which is a tad risky I know. I want to try and play a nicer brand of football. This may be a tad idealistic so I may abandon this if I cant get out of the division this time round.

This isn't LLM. :D

lol I know :) . Just thought I would get in there first just in case anyone was offended by player naming. The last career post I wrote up I didnt use player names and I think it was lacking as a result.

2012/2013 – Droylsden (Blue Square North)

After a promising, yet ultimately disappointing last season I was confident that with a few key signings, this was the year that I could achieve promotion to the Conference Premier.

As I started the season I was very happy with the large amount of business I had done in the summer:

Goalkeeper

One key signing was my new young Czech goalkeeper Jan Sebek, who had been released by Chelsea. I was certain he would be the goalkeeper I had been searching for.

Tony Warner went out to Bromley and I signed a young Irish keeper who had been release by Ipswich to act as backup.

Defence

My left fullback Darren Barnard had decided (probably correctly) that at the ripe old age of 40 it was time to hang up his aching boots. I replaced him with a 26 year old fullback called Kelly Youga who represented the Democratic republic of Africa at international level. I was certain he could fill Barnard’s boots; which due to his good performance over the last 2 years was no mean feet.

The rest of my starting defense remained the same as I was pretty happy with the players I had brought in over my 2 years with the club. 2 youngsters joined the club at centre back and right back to bolster the squad.

Midfield

It was my midfield that saw the biggest improvement in quality and numbers.

As I explained in my last update, the quality of my midfield had worried me throughout the previous 2 campaigns and it really needed a complete revamp.#I signed a Scottish attacking fullback/left winger with great pace and decent cross called Iain Campbell. On the right flank I recruited the 29 year old Irishman Leon McSweeney whose qualities included a great cross and excellent corner.

The main signing was to be the 28 year old central midfield by the name of Peter Leven. This guy was way too good for the Blue Square North and I was shocked/delighted to have him. He was to become both my playmaker and captain.

A few other youngsters were brought in to add strength to the squad.

Strikers

I offloaded South Korean Jo Dong Won as after a good start last season he went off the boil; he was on decent money (350p/w) and I felt it could be invested better elsewhere. I kept the remaining 3 strikers that I had last year, adding only a young Welshman named Emyr Huws, just in case I hit injuries.

The season

The season started brilliantly. I won my first 15 games in a row and remained unbeaten in all competitions until November 10th when I lost 6-2 in the FA cup 1st round, in my 100th game as Droyslden gaffer.

Offiong and Leven linked up well all season and goals were flying in left right and center. A far cry from my 1st and 2nd seasons.

I was top of the league all year and despite a wobble in December when I lost 3 games in a row I managed to hang on into the business end of the season.

In my 5th game from the end of the season I blew up in the press about a harsh red card that 1 of my players had received. Disastrously I received a touchline ban (damn you FA!) which resulted in me sitting out the next game.....typically this would prove to be the most important game of the season against the 2nd place Hastings.

As I looked on helplessly, my assistant lost the game 2-0 and I was now only 6 points clear with 3 games to go. I drew the next game to add to a tense season finale. Results meant if I won 1 of my last 2 games we would go up as champions.

My penultimate game was at home to Hayes and Yeading and I drew 0-0. I was frustrated that I had slipped up again. Fortunatly Hastings lost 3-1 to 2nd from bottom Ashford (I love you FM!). The title was mine with 1 game to go.

Season summary

Great start gave us the momentum we needed to go the entire season in top spot. Baring a few scares, it was pretty much problem free. Next step is to improve the playing squads further for the next season.

Final position: 1st

Player of the year: - Peter Leven (MC)

Immense player at this level. My playmaker and captain scored 17 goals from midfield (admittedly 8 of them penalties) and chipped in with 15 assists. When he didn’t play we missed his creativity and struggled to score and create chances. Fortunatly he remained pretty much injury free all year.

Other key players included:

- Offiong (SC)

Unlike last year Offiong added consistency to his play and ended the year with 18 goals. His pace scared every team in the division and a slight tactical rethink seemed to benefit Richard and the goals soon flowed. On the downside was that he seemed to get a yellow card every game within ten minutes (?!)

- Jan Sebek(GK)

My new goalkeeper pulled off some essential saves when required and made no gaffs over the season. Important signing. Probably too good for that level, as proven by his involvement in the Czech under 23 squad.

- Cyrus Christie (CB)

Another great season from my young center back who even managed to add a few goals to his performances.

- Peter Jones (MLRC)

Disappointing season compared to the previous year but in fairness he played bit more of a bit part role; mainly coming off the bench or filling in for injured/suspended players. Still chipped in with some goals and still young.

- Julian Cherel (DC)

The 30 year old Frenchman was once again solid as rock all season.

Congratulations mate :). Is the sqaud good enough to stay up? Push for a promotion place?

Thanks. I have extended my contract for another year.

I think we shouldbe able to stay up, but I would imagine I need to strengthen, maybe a right winger and a new striker as top priority. Promotion again may be a tad out of reach...but never say never ay! :)

Thanks. I have extended my contract for another year.

I think we shouldbe able to stay up, but I would imagine I need to strengthen, maybe a right winger and a new striker as top priority. Promotion again may be a tad out of reach...but never say never ay! :)

I wouldn't. You would be suprised how many decent players that would be willing to sign for you. I kept saying that on FM10. We won't do well and I did great until League 1 where I just couldn't do anything more.

I wouldn't. You would be suprised how many decent players that would be willing to sign for you. I kept saying that on FM10. We won't do well and I did great until League 1 where I just couldn't do anything more.

My start to the new season has been pretty good; I dont think my squad is strong enough to compete over the course of the seaosn though without further additions. Il have to get my scouts onto it!

Great job there Gio! Glad to see ex-Newcastle youngster Offiong is doing the business for you :)

Big time, after a slightly disappointing 1st season,he has pretty much become indispensible. On the counter attacking he is unstoppable.

I have got him on composure training though, he could have so many more goals if he knew how to shoot!

That isn't good mate. Is there anyone else that could replace him in anyway.

Well I have had to play some of my youngsters, they have done OK and chipped in with a few goals. Sadly they dont have the class that Levin has at this level. He is now 4 weeks away from a return so hopefully I can continue to do ok in his absence.

Couldnt find anyone on the open market to replace him with ...moneys tight too :(

Well I have had to play some of my youngsters, they have done OK and chipped in with a few goals. Sadly they dont have the class that Levin has at this level. He is now 4 weeks away from a return so hopefully I can continue to do ok in his absence.

Couldnt find anyone on the open market to replace him with ...moneys tight too :(

That's ok then. Maybe though you now have more faith in the youngsters.

Hmm yes and no. They are certainly good enough to be in the squad as backup. I suppose giving them 1st team experieicne can only benefit them.

Sadly having no youth faciltiies means I get no youth team players (:() coming through organically, so I have to sign all youngsters on frees.

2013/2014 – Droylsden (Blue Square Bet Premier)

After promotion last time round my initial aim was to establish myself in the Conference Premier. I would have happily have taken 20th position should it mean being able to stay up....although obviously the ambition/foolishness in me had me thinking my team could achieve more than this.

In pre-season I found 1 player of real note in 19 year old Landry Cuyami. I snapped the promising young striker up on a free transfer. The rest of my pre-season signings saw me pick up free youngsters in a bid to bulk out my squad for the season ahead.

Going out were some of my key players from the previous 3 campaigns. Right back Tom Paratt went off to Sligo Rovers for 45k in a bid to bring my wage bill down and bring in some much needed cash.

Despite being a favourite player of mine, I got rid of Peter Jones to Bury Town as I felt he wasn’t good enough for the Conference Premier. Leon McSweeney and Gavin Donoghue (my former captain from the 2nd season) also went out for a total of 3k (mega bucks I know).

When I started the season I was a tad concerned that I didn’t have the required strength in depth but sadly I had really struggled all summer to identify players better than those I already had.

The season

The season started well, I only lost once out of my first 7 games and I hit the heady heights of 3rd early on.

As injuries and suspensions reigned in, so did my poor form. Peter Leven picked up an injury which ruled him out for 4-5 months and without my key man and other players due to injuries we slipped towards the foot of the table, with the lowest position being 20th.

In the January transfer window I signed a 31 year old Togo international striker by the easy to remember name of Abdou-Naissirou Ouro-Akpo. He was available after his contract at Dutch club Oss’20 expired.

Fortunately his signing seemed to spark my team into life and my form picked up and I managed to establish an 8 point gap between myself and my relegation rivals.

While all of this was going on, I found myself on an incredible cup run. Having previously in the season gone out in the FA Cup 1st round to Notts County 5-1, I managed to find myself in the FA Trophy Final having beaten high flying York and Cheltenham amongst others along the way.

I faced Tamworth in the final and after an epic game I shocked the bookies by winning 4-2 in extra time at Wembley. The clubs first trip to Wembley had been successful J

After much umm-ing and err-ing I accepted a new 1 year contract to stay at the club.

Season summary

Brilliant first season in the conference premier. Was happy to achieve a safe mid table position but the Cup win was an unexpected bonus.

Final position: 17th

Player of the year: - Cyrus Christie (CB)

The youngster really stepped up this year. 8 goals in total and a new record set for the highest average rating in the FA Trophy.

Other key players included:

- Richard Offiong (SC)

Performances not as good as the last season but his goals were as important as ever.

- Peter Levin (MC)

Didnt score as many goals or set up as many as he did last year, but his quality in keeping the ball was demonstrated when the team disintegrated in his absence.

- Richard Bryan (DC)

The Irish youngster had played well last year but he seemed to adjust to well to the step up. Sadly he refused to sign a new contract and is leaving on a Bosman, so I already need to replace one of my key men in the summer.

- Abdou-Naissirou Ouro-Akpo (SC)

The Togo striker rescued my season with vital goals and assists. I felt it was a gamble signing him but he certainly proved otherwise.

Thanks all. Yes I was very happy with my first season in the conference premier. Was tough and it looked like I would go down at 1 stage but it worked out well in the end.

After a little chat I managed to persuade Abdou-Naissirou Ouro-Akpo to start coaching early. So he is my player/assistant manager.

To make it easier for all involved I have set his nickname as Akpo :)

Yeah, you can use the player interaction screen to inform a player that you think they would make a good assman/coach/scout etc. In my limited experience it takes a bit of persistence but they hopefully end up saying something like "I can start now if you like". they then get their coaching stats - great little feature.

'Akpo' was stubborn at 1st and got annoyed as I recommended him as a manager too often...he came round to my way of thinking eventually though :)

I find it really difficult to afford good coaches so though I would keep it in house and promote him as my assistant.

These are my facilities at Droylsden.

Am I right in thinking that this is why I havent had any youth players come through at all in my 5 years with the club?

Indeed, i think that your pretty lucky to not have any youth facilities while your non-league team in my opinion it just a waste of money, since most boards have to plough money into them at the end of the year just for the facilities just to stand still.

Congratulations on 200 games in management.

Archived