Morale is just far too effective - in my opinion.

So, I play the game as Stoke, and its always going to be a challenging season but I noticed that when you first play a few games after easy pre-season victories the team is riding a crest of high morale, you go into the first few games and even against the big teams can pick up respectable results. When Arsenal and Man City were in my first 4 games on one save I drew and beat them respectively, and rather convincingly outperformed them. Anyway, with morale as fickle as it is, even with just an 'average' win players morale can slip and in some cases with even less of a reason than that. So, I started to think that in the periods where there was a week or more between games to arrange friendlies with my under 18's, manage both sides.

Anyway in this save after being at the low ebb once more and deciding to try this the next game against Chelsea morale was very good/superb, a 1-1 draw which saw Chelsea with 'ok' morale struggle to compete. Left it at west brom where it was good/ok morale and won 1-0. Players were on a dip a bit by now and with only 4 days to play Arsenal I lost 2-1. Not a problem, out of those 3 though with ok and above morale it was good results, which had I not played the friendly beforehand would have seen me going into it with poor/very poor morale. Anyway, bit of a break between the next games, arranged a friendly against my under 18's, rotated a full squad so that each players only had 45 minutes then a days rest from training afterwards. Morale is superb again and we have a game against Sunderland, its a crushing 4-0 victory. Week between Bolton and Sunderland so rinse and repeat and a 6-2 victory over Bolton. This is from the same side who earlier only created (with the same tactics and players) 3 chances against blackpool.

The next 5 games are: Liverpool, West Ham, Aston Villa, Man Utd, Fulham - all of which have enough time to use what is in no short way of dressing it up, an exploit of the games mechanics. But it is to illustrate how I believe this year the game is too centered around morale, and with player morale as fickle as it is, then surely something would need addressing.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morale kills the game, i say sensational and elated easily, then their superb morale drops to good but how can you drop in morale through high praise of your manager, 1 game your all superb, next game you lose you seem to immediately get poors and okays, morale to me shouldn't be on the game, you can't even say dissapointed without someone crying after they actually got a 5 and so on, morale must be sorted on next patch S.I

Morale kills the game, i say sensational and elated easily, then their superb morale drops to good but how can you drop in morale through high praise of your manager

Because you feel you played well or decently, but not to the best of your ability. As an ambitious professional, it is disheartening that your manager has such low expectations of you and is so easily pleased by what you considered an average performance.

Two best and most consistent morale-boosters, at least among professional players (I haven't done any LLM yet): 1) talk to them in private about their performances honestly and often, relative to what you think their expectations are, and 2) criticize their work in training if you notice if they're underperforming even a little bit. Get these right (you'll see the PR notice "feels he has a good relationship with you" appear for a few days) and you'll see players jump one or two morale 'ranks' at least most of the time. Get them right consistently and players will grow to like you. Once they like you, they'll listen to just about anything you have to say, and even when they object you'll be able to talk them around.

You should be talking to just about every member of your squad about something of note at least once a fortnight. If you don't, you're leaving a lot of potential morale-boosting on the table.

Also: handle your own press conferences and lower expectations for low-morale players. Do the same with team talks. Praise any smidgeon of effort or achievement on their part. Occasionally you'll also want to talk about opposing teams/managers/players in the press just to take the heat off, or to distract your players (or even provoke them into action).

I'm actually struggling at the moment because my young team is overperforming and reaching the heights for the first time, so they're nervous ahead of a lot of games where they're comfortable favourites. But bigging up depressed, underperforming teams is pretty simple.

Here's the results:

Stoke 2 - 2 Liverpool (completely battered Liverpool and only a late goal saved it for them, Reina motm)

Stoke 2 - 2 West Ham (same as above, West Ham were mostly limited to long range shots and both flew past the keeper)

Stoke 2 - 2 Aston Villa (quite an even game with Villa probably deserving to win)

Stoke 0 - 2 Man Utd (gave Man Utd a good game but just weren't good enough in the end)

Stoke 4 - 0 Fulham (just obliteration)

Liverpool, West Ham and Villa were all above my Stoke side and weren't in exactly spectacular runs but not bad runs either. Man Utd had mostly good or better morale for their first team and with the gulf in quality it showed. Fulham who are struggling around 14th/15th were low on morale and were just walked all over.

Record before u18 friendlies with 'normal' morale pattern:

2 wins, 3 draws, 5 defeats

Record since u18 friendlies with 'inflated' morale:

4 wins, 4 draws, 2 defeats

Either it needs tweaking, so that thrashing a bunch of schoolkids 5-0 doesn't provide the same or greater elation than beating a fellow mid-table side 1-0 or morale just needs to be less malleable and sensitive.

I have a problem with morale of a different key players for the last 3 seasons. Before games opp manager says player X must be stopped and they morale drops. My best player at the moment is getting from very poor to poor after a good performance and then the must be stopped message happens and he is back to very poor. I dont no if these key players have a a prob with pressure or its that opposition managers are singling them out as to be my main threat.

Im gonna try talking to him like Shake Appeal has said alot more. I tried it just now and told him he had a good match and seems happy about it but morale still very poor. I will try talking to him a bit more over the next few games and seem if it makes a difference.

Two best and most consistent morale-boosters, at least among professional players (I haven't done any LLM yet): 1) talk to them in private about their performances honestly and often, relative to what you think their expectations are, and 2) criticize their work in training if you notice if they're underperforming even a little bit. Get these right (you'll see the PR notice "feels he has a good relationship with you" appear for a few days) and you'll see players jump one or two morale 'ranks' at least most of the time. Get them right consistently and players will grow to like you. Once they like you, they'll listen to just about anything you have to say, and even when they object you'll be able to talk them around.

You should be talking to just about every member of your squad about something of note at least once a fortnight. If you don't, you're leaving a lot of potential morale-boosting on the table.

Also: handle your own press conferences and lower expectations for low-morale players. Do the same with team talks. Praise any smidgen of effort or achievement on their part. Occasionally you'll also want to talk about opposing teams/managers/players in the press just to take the heat off, or to distract your players (or even provoke them into action).

I'm actually struggling at the moment because my young team is overperforming and reaching the heights for the first time, so they're nervous ahead of a lot of games where they're comfortable favourites. But bigging up depressed, underperforming teams is pretty simple.

While I absolutely agree with your points; SI have made this a tedious point and click mini-game which has too powerful affect on the game to ignore. Morale and press conferences should be optional features, in my opinion. I highly doubt that SAF worries too much about constantly praising players.

Definitely finding this to be the case too. Once your side are in the low morale state getting them out of it is just too much luck, I keep winning 2 games in a row and then losing a game we dominate, then boom they're all back to very low.

As soon as they're all high we'll be dominating the league I reckon, but it's just a joke getting there.

it does seem to have a huge effect, for me Kris Boyd was scoring for fun and then played 1 bad game, instantly had "very poor" morale and didnt score for about 10 games, only recently has his morale improved and this is months later.

I decided to wait till the 2nd patch, caved in and got it yesterday, regretting it now, last year it was complacency that was messed up till the 2nd patch, this year its morale that screws everything up. Why is it every year there is one factor above all else that has a huge effect on players that really shouldn't affect them that much. Why can't we just have the best players playing the best instead of thinking that if we had said something different they would have played better.

I have a problem with morale of a different key players for the last 3 seasons. Before games opp manager says player X must be stopped and they morale drops. My best player at the moment is getting from very poor to poor after a good performance and then the must be stopped message happens and he is back to very poor. I dont no if these key players have a a prob with pressure or its that opposition managers are singling them out as to be my main threat.

I have the same problem - before every game the opposition's manager comments on my striker and he drops to "Very Poor". There is absolutely nothing I can do about it and he constantly has "Very Poor" or "Poor" morale, because my team's schedule is too saturated to play a friendly with the U19 :)

I've found i've had to write down every member of my team's responses to my team talks. It is an ongoing process but is working out great for me. I used to thrash my teams with "disappointeds" and "I want to see more from you!" and get no reaction, but since writing down the reactions of my squad i've found that they react a hell of a lot better to praise. Now my players are usually on very good or superb morale and it's not difficult to keep them that way ("I have faith" and "encourage" works wonders). So try to be less aggressive with your team talks maybe that will get the morale up and your team playing better.

2gxh1md.jpg

IMO, there are a few things that need to be changed about Morale:

1) Minimize huge fluctuations due to wins/losses

2) Make the extreme Morales (Superb and Very Poor) harder to obtain and easier to lose

3) Tone down the effect on match performance (maybe except for the 2 extremes)

4) Maybe somehow align the Match motivation comments to Morale?

I went 20 games unbeaten to 1 win in 15.

Theres so many issues that Ive given up on FM11. On the surface its the best ever. Under the hood its the worst ever. It just doesnt work as it should.

Yeah that happens to me as well. I don't lose the first 20 or so games, then suddenly cant beat anyone. It's really annoying. I think the difficulty setting must adjust automatically.

I even tried reloading one of the games. My top of the league side with a plus 30 goal difference, against the team at the bottom, that had only won 4 games all season . I tried all kinds of different combinations of players and tactics but kept losing. After 20 tries I gave up. The game just decides you have to lose that match.

I had the misfortune of starting an AC Milan game as an unknown manager. Naturally, my squad didnt really believe in my skills as a manager and all had love/very low morale. Got ravaged in my first 3 serie A matches and raped by real madrid 5-0 in my first champions league game.

Quit the game and started again with professional football experience and now things are going much, much better.

IMO, there are a few things that need to be changed about Morale:

1) Minimize huge fluctuations due to wins/losses

2) Make the extreme Morales (Superb and Very Poor) harder to obtain and easier to lose

3) Tone down the effect on match performance (maybe except for the 2 extremes)

4) Maybe somehow align the Match motivation comments to Morale?

but that would eliminate overconfidence. It amounts to making the game much easier.

Yeah that happens to me as well. I don't lose the first 20 or so games, then suddenly cant beat anyone. It's really annoying. I think the difficulty setting must adjust automatically.

I even tried reloading one of the games. My top of the league side with a plus 30 goal difference, against the team at the bottom, that had only won 4 games all season . I tried all kinds of different combinations of players and tactics but kept losing. After 20 tries I gave up. The game just decides you have to lose that match.

Sorry to be a troll but you're just not doing it right.

Overconfidence: the silent form killer.

Sorry to be a troll but you're just not doing it right.

Overconfidence: the silent form killer.

What do you suggest, losing a few matches to get the teams confidence down a bit?

I don't mind losing to better teams. I don't mind losing if I made a tactical mistake. Or even losing a few games down to bad luck is fine. But games against worse teams becoming impossible to win, with any players, any team talk and any tactics is stupid.

Like I said I reloaded over and over. The other team were much worse players. I tried all kinds of stuff and lost every time. Why bother making me play the match. The game should just say 'you lose' and skip to the next winable game.

What do you suggest, losing a few matches to get the teams confidence down a bit?

I don't mind losing to better teams. I don't mind losing if I made a tactical mistake. Or even losing a few games down to bad luck is fine. But games against worse teams becoming impossible to win, with any players, any team talk and any tactics is stupid.

Like I said I reloaded over and over. The other team were much worse players. I tried all kinds of stuff and lost every time. Why bother making me play the match. The game should just say 'you lose' and skip to the next winable game.

No. With press conferences & team talks.

I'm not saying morale is wrong set up, but i also struggle abit. Since FM07 I always have this (play llm).

Start of season: good results.

Then i usually go to mixed results, usually mediocre

Then i get the system going, often going 7-15 games unbeaten. Everything goes my way. The oppositiion hits the bar and out, gets red card etc.

And then i get struck with the overconfidence, loosing about 10 matches in a row. Everything goes against me, own goals etc.

And then i get normal results rest of season.

ANY tips on how to keep going when having super morale is appreciated. Also on how to get out of the loosing streak and getting the morale up.

I have tried "everything"...but just don't cut it.

I'm not saying morale is wrong set up, but i also struggle abit. Since FM07 I always have this (play llm).

Start of season: good results.

Then i usually go to mixed results, usually mediocre

Then i get the system going, often going 7-15 games unbeaten. Everything goes my way. The oppositiion hits the bar and out, gets red card etc.

And then i get struck with the overconfidence, loosing about 10 matches in a row. Everything goes against me, own goals etc.

And then i get normal results rest of season.

ANY tips on how to keep going when having super morale is appreciated. Also on how to get out of the loosing streak and getting the morale up.

I have tried "everything"...but just don't cut it.

I don't know what "everything" means for you.

Don't think I've never won fifteen games on the trot then lost the next seven and literally punched the monitor in frustration. (Yes, it hurt.)

What I realised was that the next match starts with the final whistle. The post match team talk has NOTHING to do with the match that's just finished. It's for the next one.

Tip: team talk the performance, not the result. If you win 3-0 but several players only rated 6.7 don't praise them unless their morale is poor.

I haven't bought the game yet, but I have some doubts about the whole concept of morale. I do a master's in psychology and I seriously doubt that the makers of this game have any scientific knowledge about psychological concepts. I think they try to rely on "common sense". I have played FM 2010, and I missed some important motivational processes.

Don't think I've never won fifteen games on the trot then lost the next seven and literally punched the monitor in frustration. (Yes, it hurt.)

What I realised was that the next match starts with the final whistle. The post match team talk has NOTHING to do with the match that's just finished. It's for the next one.

Tip: team talk the performance, not the result. If you win 3-0 but several players only rated 6.7 don't praise them unless their morale is poor.

It CAN be coincidence since i had just lost 8 matches in a row. But taking your advice on "the next match starts when the final whistle blows". I praised them in a 0-3 defeat. Pre match the next match i said "Just relax". We held them 0-0 and i said halftime "I am pleased"...we won 3-1 away. Moral was at bottom for everyone.

Either way, i'm out of this years loosing streak. We'll se next year if i can tweak my team talk tactic.

The thread is too funny to read)))

Of course, morale plays a big part. There are lots of examples of over-confidence kicking in and also tons of examples of the small teams beating favourites just due to the power of will.

And of course you have to work with players not to get them upset. It's a part of any manager's job, not only in football.

The idea of very low and superb morale hardly obtaining and easily losing seems rather strange to me. Very poor morale is like a depression and complete lack of the will to compete. Is it easy to get back to normal?

The morale in game is made more realistic than many other things. And it's certainly as important as tactics, no less.

I think we have to balance what is realistic from what is fun from the gameplay perspective.

It's not fun to play a minigame to maximize your player's morale just so they can beat the opponent in the next match, cause you know we're playing Football Manager and not Psychology Manager :p

Yes there are lots of examples of over-confidence but the fact is it's too common in game and it's not immediately clear what the manager can do to deal with it

(Warn against complacency every match? => Players playing nervously quite often)

I don't think of Very Poor morale as a player having a depression, I think of it as the mood after getting trounced by your rivals for example.

If it's not easy to get out of, it can result in a long losing streak, which is frustrating for the player as there's nothing he can do about it.

And no, I don't agree that overconfidence would be eliminated. The system can be something like if a player achieves Superb morale for playing well a certain times a month, he'll begin to feel overconfident (how many times dependent on his personality?).

That would give more predictability on the whole complacency issue.

So players should become clinically depressed because a team expected to finish 13th draw with Arsenal and Man City? When being paid £20,000 a week plus if you manage to get depressed on that and the lack of will to complete you need some serious help. It plays too much of a part, even on the low ebb of confidence after numerous games without a win, you still expect the likes of Stoke to put up a fight - end of the day thats what you least expect, not even to win, not even for it to be close necessarily but at least for players to fight. With good morale my players are world beaters, there's only a few sides in the premiership who I feel could beat my team when morale is high. I know that is part of riding the crest but I think it shows morale goes to the extremes far too easily.

A player scores in a meaningless game against the under 18's. His morale is superb, he can then tear through more or less any premiership defense (Dentinho and Tuncay Sanli). However, a player draws or gets only a small win over premiership rivals and they lose morale? Wheres the sense in that, surely the players would get tired of this constant playing the under 18's and come to loathe it as they're basically just beating players who stand no chance.

As I said, morale is either far too malleable or far too effective. It needs adjusting so that a side expected to amble around mid-table and/or struggle don't get as depressed by being 15th as Man Utd or Chelsea would. But morale isn't as important as tactics, otherwise players would be told to enjoy themselves more, to do more that they enjoy, Andy Carrol would be out beating women weekly if morale was as important as the tactics Newcastle United employ. The huge wage is a motivation enough to play as a professional, when morale is poor or very poor you just know its such a bad thing to include them in your team, and it takes so long to recover. In one save Neymar scored 10 goals in 9 games, he got injured for a week and his morale went from very good to very poor. He then went 17 hours without scoring and there was nothing I could do, personal talks, rest, still persisting - it just didn't work. A player who I'd seen be able to dance around John Terry, Bosingwa and then Cech was unable to put the ball in the goal from 5 yards out with just the keeper to beat (he missed the target completely).

It's entirely against everything we know, yes some players are notoriously difficult to handle, the likes of Drogba need an arm around them and support, but theres countless other players who are happy with just a normal relationship, a bit of praise here and there and whatnot. Not every player is as petulant and petty as the likes of Ronaldo, there's far more out there like Scholes and Giggs who are happy to be included and have quiet lives. It it an excellent model for some players who are known to be a bit loopy like this but, buts not a good model for players who are solid and consistent without ever really getting upset about such insignificant things.

I know morale makes a difference but I don't think it makes a big a difference as some people think.

I had to start a new game last night, my hard drive crapped it and I had buy a new one and do a re-install :(.

So I did my usual 'start unemployed' and holiday until offered a job. As I have done this before I know to expect a team low on morale, which is what I got, it was Leeds and they were 2nd last so everyone was unhappy. The captain Naylor was in the reserves and had a few better players in front of him, so I gave Kisnorbo the job. I was the worst person in the world after that, pretty much the whole team was 'very poor' morale, besides Kisnorbo. :D

Normally in this situation I'd play defensively, but for some stupid reason decided against doing what I have done for years. In the first game we got smashed 4-0 at home to a team in 10th place, which in hindsight was to be expected with what I had done. So I went and made up a defensive tactic and tweaked every players individual tactics, I thought I'd be lucky to get a draw out of the next game, against a team in 6th place. With all the players hating me, besides Kisnorbo, somehow we won the next game 6-3. It was 6-1, but they got 2 in the last 2 mins. It was 1-1 at halftime and I used the 'we can win this' option. I have won games before that I expected to lose but to be ahead 6-1 in the 88th minute with a team where nearly everyone had 'very poor' morale is a bit of a shock.

So while I understand low morale can lead to a form slump and high morale can lead to a win streak, these little runs of form, good and bad, can still be broken. As someone else said earlier over confidence can kill off a good form streak, while a bad run of form can be broken by using the right options in teamtalks and press conferences. The right tactics help as well. ;)

The importance of team talks was killing my experience with FM2010, until I found guidelines on how to handle them (annoying, no fun, but doable).

Now morale is added to the equation? (one more "no fun" thing added)

I enjoy working on tactics and building a good talented squad. Messing around with teamtalks and morale which most of the time will negate all efforts I put into tactics, really just makes the game pointless to me.

The importance of team talks was killing my experience with FM2010, until I found guidelines on how to handle them (annoying, no fun, but doable).

I enjoy working on tactics and building a good talented squad. Messing around with teamtalks and morale which most of the time will negate all efforts I put into tactics, really just makes the game pointless to me.

Imagine you're a real manager of a team. You give the players tactical duties but you can't be sure that they will do them properly if they are low on morale. No matter what your tactic is, you will lose a game before entering the pitch.

The question is the way to keep morale, not to make it less important. Playing U18's is quite disappointing and THIS should be fixed, not the effect the morale has on the players.

Of course you can reverse the fortunes of your team even in these situations, otherwise the first game of the seaosn would determine the outcome. I just feel it has too much weighting and is too easily influenced. Teams don't get really down after losing one game, even if Man Utd lost 12-0 against Blackpool their players wouldn't be down, they would for a few days but they'd be up for the next game because thats the way it is. Yes there are situations where morale is damage almost permanently, Phil Browns team talk on the pitch for Hull for example. It can be enjoyable but not every player is as temperamental as the game suggests, as I said for some its a fine working model but across the board its not.

Imagine you're a real manager of a team. You give the players tactical duties but you can't be sure that they will do them properly if they are low on morale. No matter what your tactic is, you will lose a game before entering the pitch.

The question is the way to keep morale, not to make it less important. Playing U18's is quite disappointing and THIS should be fixed, not the effect the morale has on the players.

Well the problem is the effect morale has on players... so how would you fix it without changing how morale works?!?!?

You could argue morale and teamtalks are important in RL, but you could also argue that in a game, you might not want it to play so much of a role or to change so drastically from game to game - just to keep the game enjoyable. I know what I prefer.

If you win 3-0 but several players only rated 6.7 don't praise them unless their morale is poor.

if this is correct for in game motivation, then S.I need to stop making these games, players with bad morale have no confidence at all, their comes a case where you have to tell a player his done well when in fact his done shocking, and critising a player when his class but plays good, he needs a good shout at if his morale is high, but if what your saying is correct then fm series is almost dead, it isn't even remotely realistic motivation wise, 1v1s wise, long shots wise, attribute wise, set piece wise with back post corners and..... soooo and so.

• SI Staff

So the problem here is that we have some people saying it should be a big part, others saying its too big a part etc. Hard to please everyone.

What I'd ask for in order to be able to try to improve things further is:

- Examples of matches where morale dropped or rose unrealistically post match

- Examples of matches where extreme morale ( good or bad ) unrealistically affected the result

You can get these examples by saving the match as a .pkm file via the match screen and then email to me paulc@sigames.com with a brief and clear description of the issue you are concerned about. I'm as interested in examples of teams overperforming as underperforming btw.

Cheers,

Paul :)

have any of you noticed 2 great examples here - fernando torres & wayne rooney - both scoring goals by the bucketload last year, both have started this season low on morale and their form has suffered so much they have been generally unrecognisable players - i think it shows the match engine is not too far out. liverpool as a whole this year suffering poor form too.

If you win 3-0 but several players only rated 6.7 don't praise them unless their morale is poor.

if this is correct for in game motivation, then S.I need to stop making these games, players with bad morale have no confidence at all, their comes a case where you have to tell a player his done well when in fact his done shocking, and critising a player when his class but plays good, he needs a good shout at if his morale is high, but if what your saying is correct then fm series is almost dead, it isn't even remotely realistic motivation wise, 1v1s wise, long shots wise, attribute wise, set piece wise with back post corners and..... soooo and so.

First: I never said it was realistic. I was asked to help and that was my suggestion.

Second: 6.7 IS'NT a good performance. It's terrible, especially if the rest of the team played well.

In MY opinion. Morale isn't too important. Once you get it under control, things like tactics take over.

• SI Staff

It may not be far out, I agree. But if there are examples of people going 20 games unbeaten in season 1 with non Big 3 teams ( Arsenal, Chelsea, Utd ) then I'd like to know if its morale based or otherwise :-)

100% agree moral is a killer no teamtalk seems to counter poor moral. I currently manage a team in the First Divison of Indonesian football and almost every game the media had us down as favoutes to win but it didn't stop me going on an epic run of 8 games without a win all to teams I was expected to beat some were 1-6 on and they were 10-1.

Archived