Player refusal

Can someone explain to me why asking players to do simple things now turns into a full blown argument. I asked james vaughan to not dive into tackles and he just flat out refused to do it without any reason. I can't see players in real life being so disobedient over such a trivial matter and especially not as often as it occurs in game.

yes I agree with this. I made the comment to Steven Gerrard that I feel WHEN he hangs his boots up he will make a good manager. He asked me if he should get started straight away. Naturally I said not yet as still plently of playing years left. He then started an argument and now is listed as he feels he has a bad relationship with me!!

G

some players are willing to do anything for the manager, whereas some are confident in their abilities and feel they know best. this obviously will not be as documented IRL so its hard to get a guaranteed answer but players disagree with managers all of the time.

the main issue here imo is that the answers are too black and white, and sometimes mean that no matter what you do you will end up arguing with the player, although as you develop your reputation as a manager and become more popular with your players you will find they are more willing to listen to your advice, very much like real life, some players do not like it when a new manager comes in and starts throwing their weight around and will try to prevent change. (very similar to the paul le guen reign at rangers where player power forced him out - imagine attempting to stop scotsmen from getting pished and eating kebabs on the way home)

In addition, I don't think players will really reject outright (maybe the troublemakers will, but the vast majority won't refuse). They might brood unhappily for a while leading you to suspect they aren't really listening to you (i.e. "Your assistant suspects that Rooney isn't listening to your suggestion to practice long bullet throws as he becomes moody whenever he starts practicing." or "Your assistant believes that Rooney is making no headway into hugging the touchline as it's not something he enjoys.").

Keep on trying, though, and you might upset Rooney ("Rooney has come into your office and told you he is sick and tired of practicing long throws despite X assistant warnings, and has threatened to hand in a transfer request if he is forced to continue doing so during practice."). Or Rooney might actually decide to keep on plugging away and turn out to get over this little annoyance.

This means that you have to have the option to easily turn off PPM/new position training as an explicit interaction ("Rooney has thanked you for taking him off long bullet throws training."/"Rooney has snidely suggested that he was right after all, and that you are a poor judgement of his strengths."/"Rooney is angry at being taken off long bullet throws training as he really enjoyed it."). This also entails continuous feedback from players - whether explicit ("I hate this training!") or implicit (assistant notices something, as above).

True troublemakers may reject things outright, of course. And model professionals may simply plug away even if they don't feel there's any real benefit, because they wish to show their manager their willingness to obey orders and tactics and have no reason to doubt the manager - although some may express a little confusion or surprise.

Archived