IGN review ...9.5 out of 10....BUT

CLOSING COMMENTS

For the time being, this is still the best football management game on the planet. Its depth, realism and sheer addictiveness are unrivalled, with additions like the real-time contract negotiations offsetting some familiar flaws. But this isn’t doesn’t hide the fact that the series has begun to stagnate. Football Manager remains the Chelsea FC of footy management sims: all conquering at present, but in need of an overhaul in the not-so-distant future.

so so true

IGN were behind the worst review of all time weren't they? IIRC some guy who knew nothing about management sim games reviewed it and compared it to FIFA and Pro Evolution rather than FM's true and obvious rivals (FIFA Manager, Champ Manager, etc).

Edit - yes it was them. http://darkzero.co.uk/game-news/ign-removes-210-football-manager-review-and-apologises/

If your refering a football game to a football club would it not be the man utd of them all since its been the greatest simulation of them all for decades? Not a Man utd fan btw :p

Chelsea are the current champions though.............or maybe Inter Milan as they are the champions of europe......or maybe Spurs as they whooped them the other night ;)

Everybody seems to be suggesting that the game needs an overhaul or to do something radical, yet I've not seen one single decent suggestion of what this radical overhaul should be. Whatever they do, it'll still be fundamentally a football management game, where you buy players, pick a team and win matches.

Everybody seems to be suggesting that the game needs an overhaul or to do something radical, yet I've not seen one single decent suggestion of what this radical overhaul should be.

That's what SI are meant to think about!

Do you not really get the impression that this game is only a little more patched-version of FM10?

Do you not really get the impression that this game is only a little more patched-version of FM10?

Not at all! Training has started its long road to recovery and is much better, the match preparation screen is a god-send and the new way of negotiating contracts etc is much more realistic.

Everybody seems to be suggesting that the game needs an overhaul or to do something radical, yet I've not seen one single decent suggestion of what this radical overhaul should be. Whatever they do, it'll still be fundamentally a football management game, where you buy players, pick a team and win matches.

Occasionally ;)

CLOSING COMMENTS

For the time being, this is still the best football management game on the planet. Its depth, realism and sheer addictiveness are unrivalled, with additions like the real-time contract negotiations offsetting some familiar flaws. But this isn’t doesn’t hide the fact that the series has begun to stagnate. Football Manager remains the Chelsea FC of footy management sims: all conquering at present, but in need of an overhaul in the not-so-distant future.

so so true

I assume that "so so true" statement was you agreeing with the overhaul comment.

In which case why don't you share your ideas of what needs to be overhauled?

Its really not a patch on last year there are countless new features and the match engines much better, I feel far more immersed with real time conversations with players and I feel there is much more to explore with this game than last years.

Its really not a patch on last year there are countless new features and the match engines much better, I feel far more immersed with real time conversations with players and I feel there is much more to explore with this game than last years.

Indeed, it's the little differences*

*yay for Pulp Fiction references

No major overhaul needed ffs! i mean just look at the reviews! The game is getting almost the highest ratings posible all over the internet and you are talking about a major overhaul?? I swear I really don't understand people sometimes..

It's a fair bit more than a patched-up version of FM10, but that's beside the point. It's fundamentally a football manager game and it already covers pretty much everything a manager does. So any radical overhaul is either going have to be something that a manager doesn't do (like designing stadiums, for example, which will never be in the game) or is going to have to be a new way of doing something that is already in the game (which will probably be never classed as a radical overhaul anyway).

hard to totally overhaul a formula which works so well... how many hours and days have fans played this game ... through the night not even noticing daytime coming around?

the formula works... and SI are doing a damn good job of sticking to their guns and slowly progressing in the right way... imo the only thing that needs changing is to improve the front end ie .. add some sounds, maybe some celebration of the fact you win a trophy.. a bit more fanfare in the game and its complete for me

I assume that "so so true" statement was you agreeing with the overhaul comment.

In which case why don't you share your ideas of what needs to be overhauled?

i have a crap load of posts.......some good ...some not so........but a crap load none the less

I dont think the game needs a major overhaul but it would be nice if they took more time building the new games and included more skins, new ideas and less bugs. In the old old old days they used to only make a new game every few years and have a cheaper update each year instead. I'd rather have a new game every two years if it meant more content and less bugs.

IGN just put comments like that in there to try and be "different and controversial". That's OK, but you need to have something intelligent to say, otherwise you're just being pretentious - and pulling a cheap stunt to get attention and traffic that you don't deserve.

What is a major overhaul? No matter how you put it the game deals with football management - buying/selling players, tactics, training, contracts, competitions. If the game of football "overhauls" than SI should follow, but otherwise we're stuck with the game trying to recreate the RL :)

Despite attempts in the last two FM this game still looks out of date in terms of graphical interface. Let's face it, it's not of the Iphone generation is it. As for interaction my C64 ran more convincing conversations and there were written it proper English so you could understand exactly what was going on.

The ME is the only saving grace even though it still has many of the short comings from the last one

If it aint broke etc.....

The CM/FM series has been developing creature with each new release. Some changes(3D view) have been massive and some not so but to say that a complete rejigg is needed is nothing short of idiotic.

A big plus of these very forums is that it enables SI to get more of a feel of what works, what doesn't and what direction to move in.

To be honest an entire overhaul I don't agree, because the basis are there.

However It needs some overhaul in some features. the first the 3D.

Let not kid oursleves, the 3D is extremely poor compared to other games. That seem to be the consensus in several reviews.

Press Conferences are still boring after three versions and adding more questions seems not working at all. I know I can put the Ass. Manager in charge of them. Still creating a feature for the AI to control, beats the hole point of the feature. Needs to be really overhauled from top to bottom. To be far in reality Press Conferences has little influence to the match, rather the media news. I mean in Euro 2008, what killed Portugal squad was the news of Scollari going to Chelsea, before playing Germany, what happen Portugal lost the match and was eliminated. I would rather like this kind of news and question from the report the next day or something and that answer influence positive or negative the players. Much like was pre-FM09 (i mean like was in FM08, FM07 and so on).

Team Talks, this is basically stagnate for the last versions of the game, but if it works as it should (i mean those who play FM11).

Contracts needs to be investigated, because i don't think shows in reality. I'm not sure but, the agent received percentage of signing fee, meaning that is something that the agent and player agree and agents don't receive any fees from the clubs as is now. Now if the agent mediates the salary contract, like it is now, that should remain.

Backroom Advice, well i would like this to be more dynamic and be editable. I for one would like more news about the players training rather then suggestions. Some of you like the suggestions bit. Well being editable would make everyone happy. Ah, from the news of the training I could understand from them and then suggest players some prefer moves or something.

Training and Match preperation, should be basically integrated together, because let be honest, the training that squad makes between matches is a preparation for the next match. I want something that is in depth, but showed in simplistic manner. Something easy to understand and to the point. Something I get to understand where i do this and in i can make in a few seconds.

The overall organisation of the game needs some work to make it simpler, easy to understand and to the point. If this is done, makes the game to have less speed-bumps.

To finish, less micro-management, and this focused more in the training (with Match preparation) and make it fun, easy to understand and to the point.

Some bet of more graphical side to the game, not suggesting something of the likes Fifa manager, but something that makes the user understand more quickly. There is some truth to "A picture is worth a thousand words."

This are my suggestions that would innovate the game and would make me enjoy FM again.

Stagnant ? I strongly disagree. IGN brains are stagnant instead.

Fm11 brings new cool features and implemented really very well the existing ones, then SI has always supported its customers in a professional and classy way dialing with us on the forum and releasing excellent patches.

The only bad side is the price, 50 euros is insanely high even for a sugar baby, BTW I am not of those

OK, to be fair, they gave it an extremely high score, and stated "Its depth, realism and sheer addictiveness are unrivaled." They aren't exactly giving it a negative review in any way. To say that the game may need a significant overhaul in the future probably isn't as damning as many are making it out to be.

Its strength may be that it makes incremental improvements every year. The 3D match engine is better than last year, but its still the same 3D engine in most ways. Training is tweaked but still done in essentially the same way. If you've played FM in the past, you're very familiar and comfortable with FM this year, even with its improvements.

I'm addicted to the game but I would like to see some fundamental changes. For example, better interaction with my coaches. I want to be able to ask them "Compare John Smith with Tom Black at striker and tell me your thoughts about the two compared to each other." Or "Tell me why John Smith seems to not be performing as well as he should?"

I would love to have practice as part of the training. I want to experiment with a tactic: let me play a practice scrimmage with it, maybe just offense against defense, or set up a certain situation and see how it works (or doesn't work.) Practice some with one guy as striker, then try another striker in practice. Run some drills, say long shots or one on one or one on two situations with my strikers and see how they perform. Practice set pieces on the field. We did that all of the time when I was playing in college and coaching.

Make the pep talks something more than a rock-paper-scissors game to figure out. So many threads on pep talks: if the players have this rating at half time and you're down by 1, say this. I can't just choose what to say based upon what I'd say in real life, I need to know which are the "correct" lines to pick.

As much as i love FM and have for a decade, it still sometimes feels too much like a figure the numbers out game. Find the players with the right numbers, figure out which lines to say in which situations that will raise or lower the numbers, etc. I'd love to see, perhaps not an overhaul, but a step change in making the game feel much more realistic in personal interactions and choices and less like optimizing the numbers, if that makes any sense.

That said, I cant wait to get home from work and play FM11. ;)

Surely you must be joking. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Nope not joking at all IGN in my opinion are awful; just awful with game reviews. Eurogamer, they seem honest. Even more harsh to roll a 9/10 let a lone a 10/10 scores for games where other sites such as IGN would give out a much higher game score. Most of the FM reviews, should of been written/delivered in much more detail they are often very vague in these reviews; too many review sites do this with FM games. Depends on who is the reviewer though doesn't it.

If it's COD, GTA...etc etc. The games review sites; well it would appear to be able to write up a good, more detailed review, games such as FM, never get their fair 'share'

Archived