Dealing with complacency

I'm playing as Strasbourg in the French division three. They are the favourites for promotion. I started poorly but after tweaking my tactics managed to start winning. As my unbeaten streak has become longer my team seem to be getting complacent.

This culminated in the last four games, which demonstrate this perfectly.

After beating the runaway league leaders 2-1 at home, we went to 20th (of 21) placed Paris FC and were beaten 2-1. The next game saw us beat the 6th placed side 2-0 at home, battered them actually. This was followed by another home game to the now 20th placed team that ended 0-0.

This isn't a complaint of any sort whatsoever, I'm loving the game. Just wondering what you guys do to control complacency. This always seems to be a problem with my teams. I only assume its complacency because my backroom meetings always bring it up, both in FM2010 and 11.

Push them harder, especially the guys with high morale. Demand they win more games. Whenever you see a player get complacent in one game, "expect a performance" from him in the next. This should damp it down considerably. You'll know you've gone too far when they start getting nervous in a match. Still, on balance, I'd rather have a complacent player than a nervous one. It's easier to correct.

If their morale is green, treat 'em mean.

Also, if I'm 2-0 up at halftime and everyone is playing well, I'll sometimes leave the team talk to 'None'. It seems like telling some players you are 'Pleased' sometimes causes them to become complacent and lose focus in the second half.

Obviously it's player-dependent, but once you have worked out whether a player responds better to criticism or to praise (you can find this out by looking at their personality as well as attributes like determination and work rate, and checking back on your team talks after a game), you can tailor team talks to individuals. And use private chats and the press to manage their expectations and attitude. Some players need to be coddled and hate pressure, others thrive on being told to work harder, even when they are playing at their peak.

Archived