Will FM Genie ever be released?

Carefree CFC

From my experience the latest beta GenieScout will work with FM08 8.02, unless your save game gets too big. I am not sure on how big exactly is the limit, but mine ceased to successfully load my game when it went to over approx. 240 - 250 Mb.

Its not a direct relation to size. Something happens at some point which screws up the save. I think it has something to do with a regen being created that has something not supported by Genie scout. If you have a bigger size file then you probably loaded more leagues, therefore more players and therefore more regens which means a higher chance of a bad regen. Also higher size means a longer game which means more chances of a bad regen.

Hard to see it being released but that suprises me is that its the only kind available.Im no programmer but it suprises me that theres isn't even 1 guy who can do this out of the millions playing this game?

Even the mini scout editor doesnt work,atleast that guy said he will relaese it soon so thats a small hope.

The fact that he's the only one tells us how hard it is to program this kind of stuff.

I mean, I'd imagine he spend hundreds of hours in developing the scout year after year. And how much does he make out of it?

Not only does he make very little from ads, but people bash him for being late, being too greedy.

No wonder he is losing his will to develop the scout; the effort-and-reward ratio is just terrible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Minimal_Fuss:

hopefully this is the end of scout, i personally hate it. I play FM on network games and one of my housemates used to use scout and it's paramount to cheating....find your own damn players!

:p </div></BLOCKQUOTE> point in posting here then? icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

Its not a direct relation to size. Something happens at some point which screws up the save. I think it has something to do with a regen being created that has something not supported by Genie scout. If you have a bigger size file then you probably loaded more leagues, therefore more players and therefore more regens which means a higher chance of a bad regen. Also higher size means a longer game which means more chances of a bad regen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds plausible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marseille07:

The fact that he's the only one tells us how hard it is to program this kind of stuff.

I mean, I'd imagine he spend hundreds of hours in developing the scout year after year. And how much does he make out of it?

Not only does he make very little from ads, but people bash him for being late, being too greedy.

No wonder he is losing his will to develop the scout; the effort-and-reward ratio is just terrible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I probably would have agreed with you a few hours ago but I just seen a post on Genie.fm which shows how much donations he is receiving...the guy receives hundreds of $ worth of donations a week. Genie Scout is putting him through University.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marseille07:

Mate,

Would you mind sharing that post?

I found this page:

http://www.genie.fm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=46

but this of course is not hundreds of $ worth of donations a week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As you can see he made around 200$ in 4 days. I dont think that is getting updated anymore or maybe people decided to stop donating when no new genie scout is being released. But what it shows is that he does get plenty of money from donations.

Too few samples.

If you look the page, it says

"Updated 25 December 2007"

And all the donations came in NOVEMBER. That's not $200 in 4 days.

I mean c'mon, do you think people are really paying him that much, to the extent where he can cover his University tuition??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they've paid enough to at least get the tool. I can't see how he could have gone from a few days left to no tool for a couple of months. Last year he had a new version out within days of an update being released. Thank the lord I didn't donate, I was actually going to when he released it.

The problem probably is that he wasn't completely up front about how development was going. The only reason people knew about what was on his website wasn't the truth is that someone translated from the Ukrainian forums. If he made a post on his website saying "sorry I haven't got the time to make the program" I wouldn't have any problem with it, but as it is now he does come off as a bit insincere. I can't bitch about not getting a tool that I don't pay anything for, but I can become a bit mad about people not being completely honest.

Oh, and saying people have paid enough to get the tool isn't right. It's called "donations", not a "price".

Its a donation though, nobodys forced them to pay - Genie doesnt owe them anything.

Its like buying some girl a drink on a night out on the premise you'll get some action - yet how many times does the cow then walk off never to be seen again?!

If theyve donated and the tool wasnt there, ready and working - its their own stupid fault.

Archived