FM2011 Son thread - Keep everything regarding sons in here!

What's a son?

When a mummy and a daddy love each other very much, they...

It's a small feature in FM that you might have a player with your surname come through the youth academy with you as his favoured personnel. So in the reality of the game, it's treated as your character's "son".

• SI Staff

There is no way to "activate" this. Every manager in the game has the same chance of getting a newgen created that is basically his "son". These newgens are technically exactly like other newgens, so they have the same chances of being busts or wonderkids or just average youth products than any other newgen created at the club.

• 4 months later...
When a mummy and a daddy love each other very much, they...

It's a small feature in FM that you might have a player with your surname come through the youth academy with you as his favoured personnel. So in the reality of the game, it's treated as your character's "son".

m8 i was in stitches with the start of your post, and i mean my stomach is actually still sore with laughing

I guess it depends really, is it a common name, i was unsure of my player too, but there are maybe 1 or 2 regens that come through in the whole game called small, the only thing stopping him being my son is the favourite thing.

I'd say it was a son, unless it's a name like Smith or Jones, then maybe not.

Also i have 2 female staff at Banik, wonder if one of them is the mother ;)

I thought that, in order to be your son, the player had to have you in his favourite list?

My surname is in the database and is, I suppose, fairly common (Hayes).

I'm the St. Albans City manager and he was, apparently, born in Kingston-upon-Thames. So probably unlikely to be that missing son I have been looking for in all of my FM years. :(

Yours does sound more likely if you're playing in the Czech Republic and he came through with English second nationality as well as your name!

But you say that he didn't have you as a favourite when he came through originally (although he has now?) :confused: Is that right?

Maybe someone from SI could confirm whether or not 'sons' are supposed to have you in their favourite personnel (and whether or not setting a nickname might have an impact on this)?

Yours sounds as if it should be a legitimate son Charlesbeams. I wonder if mine could be too? Maybe I will just praise him to get on to his favourites list and then tell everyone he is my son. :p

According to FM Wiki (http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Son):

It is possible to have your own 'son' come through your club's youth ranks. They have the same surname as the manager, and both you and the son have each other as favoured personnel. His birthplace will be the same town as where you were managing at the time (if you were managing Swindon Town 15 years ago and your Son is 15, he'll have been born in Swindon).

So it sounds unlikely that mine is a son because I am not in his favourite personnel and he is not in my favourite personnel (I don't even have a favourite personnel!) He was also not born in St. Albans. :(

Although I'm wondering how accurate this information actually is? :confused:

Ah i read it wrong, i thought we were on about him being in my faves, but yeah i was in his faves from the start.

Ah, I see. So you were in his favourites but he wasn't in yours.

The thing is, I'm not even sure we have a favourites list as human managers do we?

I'd say yours was definitely a son. Mine though....... well, damn my common surname for getting my hopes up! :mad:

I've just checked on FMRTE, only thing i could think of that would show who i like, and Paul is in relations at 100, so is my son, but he doesnt show on the game.

*just like to state that i only use FMRTE to change kits each season* (i know what some people are like on here ;))

so crouchaldinho, if he wasn't in your faves, it's unlikely he's a son unfortunately :(

According to FM Wiki (http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Son):

So it sounds unlikely that mine is a son because I am not in his favourite personnel and he is not in my favourite personnel (I don't even have a favourite personnel!) He was also not born in St. Albans. :(

I had a son (Richard :) ) on FM10... although he wanted to play for england not Ireland so i was never really fond of him.

In regards to what you have said, I've a feeling that a lot of the son info might just be assumed to be correct, i wonder if anyone from SI could clarify. My Son in Fm10 was born in Northampton even though i was only managing there for about 8 seasons when he arrived in my youth set up. I was in his fave personnel but he wasn't in mine (like your situation). I cant see it being a coincidence as i was Irish, he was Irish/English, plus my surname isn't that common.

Not that accurate. When I had a son, albeit in FM09, his place of birth was the city where I was managing at the time he came through (Lisbon) and not the city where I was managing when he would have "been born" (Amsterdam).

2uelety.jpg

My first ever son, though he's from FM10! I was West Ham boss a few years ago, and he appeared there apparently. Didn't notice him till just now when I decided to search for anyone who had me in their favourites, and I looked for young players, and found him. Sadly West Ham released him, but I'll sign him as soon as I get a club job to make up for my absentee parenting.

It's odd though, his place of Birth was London. I've only managed in London(Spurs and West Ham) in the past 10 years, I was at Liverpool from 2021-2029. Just wondering if their place of birth is just set to be where they're created in game?

Archived