Unable to start demo via steam

I get an error along the lines of the graphics card isn't suitable but I was able to play the game fine last year (albeit omly in 2d) on the machine. I can't remember the exact error message as I am not at the machine just now.

Is this a known issue with a workaround?

The error appears as i press the play button on steam and the game tries to initialise.

Hmm. If you were able to run the game last year, then there shouldn't be any reason why you shouldn't be able to this year either.

Can you please let us know exactly what the error message was? Additionally, it may be an idea to scan http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/230210-Football-Manager-2011-Demo-FAQ to see if you find your issue discussed there.

I looked at that thread last night but couldn't see anything relevant. I could definitely play last years game. As it is played through steam I wondered if it was performing additional checks? It also installed a version of direct x the first time I tried to start the game which surprised me as again what I had ran last years game fine.

Mine says cannot run game: unable to set up graphics system. On fm10 i could play it just not use the 3D match viewer but now it seems i can't play it at all. I don't know if it's because of steam (this is the first time i have used it). I installed Microsoft Direct X SDK but it still doesn't work.

Have you updated your graphics card drivers since FM 2010?

If you guys are truly stuck then do the following:

1. Open your start menu

2. Click "Run" or in the "Search" box.

3. Type "dxdiag" in the text box.

4. Press return

once the system has finished scanning 'Save all information' and open the text file generated.

Put the content into a new thread (if there's too much text for one post just send the first post it should be enough) and we'll take a look.

I've been downloading the demo for 9 hours!

Its still only at 63 percent down.....E.T.A is another 4 hours.

I'm in the middle of nowhere in China which might havre something to do with the poor download speed.

There's not really a great deal we can do about poor download speed. Try restarting STEAM sometimes you may get a better connection.

Mine says cannot run game: unable to set up graphics system. On fm10 i could play it just not use the 3D match viewer but now it seems i can't play it at all. I don't know if it's because of steam (this is the first time i have used it). I installed Microsoft Direct X SDK but it still doesn't work.

same here drunk beware hope it works

That's the error message i get!

I get an error along the lines of the graphics card isn't suitable but I was able to play the game fine last year (albeit omly in 2d) on the machine. I can't remember the exact error message as I am not at the machine just now.

Is this a known issue with a workaround?

The error appears as i press the play button on steam and the game tries to initialise.

It's probably the issue that FM2010 had. Downloading and installing the Directx SDK was the recommended solution

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/230210-Football-Manager-2011-Demo-FAQ?p=5998598&viewfull=1#post5998598

Main things to try if you're struggling to get the game working;

- Update DirectX.

- Update Java

- Update your graphics card drivers.

If you've done all three of these, and are still struggling, please post details of what your graphics card is and we'll try to help.

Cheers

Matt

Main things to try if you're struggling to get the game working;

- Update DirectX.

- Update Java

- Update your graphics card drivers.

If you've done all three of these, and are still struggling, please post details of what your graphics card is and we'll try to help.

Cheers

Matt

Okey doke i'll go first.

Updated everything. Still get the same message: "cannot run game: unable to set up graphics system"

The graphics card is an MX4000 which whilst I appreciate is less than the recommended spec, still runs FM2010 fine

OK... thanks. The obvious answer, I guess, is that the min-spec is there for a reason, but it does seem odd that one would run when the other wouldn't.

Sadly I'm not techy enough to work out whether a sub-spec card should struggle with FM11 when working with FM10... I guess you'll need to wait until one of the SI chaps sees and can try and help.

I'm getting the same issue, try to run it and it just says 'Failed to run game: Unable to set up graphics card' or something like that. FM2010 worked in 2D so I don't see why this one wouldn't. I've done the DirectX update, drivers ETC

Any suggestions?

Archived