Worst performance without being sacked

There are lots of posters bragging about their fantastic acheivements in the FM series.

Does anyone want to share their disasters? Particularly those where the board has stood by you and allowed you to continue.

I took charge of Elgin City in the Scottish 3rd Division and managed 8 league wins in 4 seasons and made the 3rd round of the cup once without being sacked.

I assume due to the low expectations of the club I was able to continue, any high profile teams crashed and burned?

Lost a cup game as league champions at QPR to League 2 Crewe, 4-1. On the back of a few tough games in league and CL (Including a 7-1 hammering defeat to Genoa, as I had already qualified and gave my 2nd string a chance). Immediately went to very insecure after the Genoa game and thought the Crewe result would finish me. Luckily, it didn't. Loosing 1-0 away to Arsenal did. :(

I managed to not qualify for the World Cup as manager of England. I took charge of the team while they were in first place after 5 games (4 wins, 1 draw), lost the decisive game against Slovakia 1-0 away, and the i lost to Scotland in the playoffs (2-2 at home, 0-0 away). I didn't get sacked and now I will qualify for the Euros without any problems, hopefully (won my first 3 games).

In our online game my mate managed to get QPR relegated from the Prem (he got them there before) and keep his job. He'll be repaying them with winning the CCC now as it seems :)

I myself took over at Ukraine when they were leading the WC 2018 qualifyer group and dropped to the playoff place where I lost. It was a great team who should have qualified but I kept my job until I decided that I shouldn't and stepped down.

Oh actually yes - in Fm08 my long term save, I took over liverpool in 2023 after 15 years at Forest (And a few leagues/CL's). Finished 17th in my first season - though somehow they were 20th when I got there in November. Managed to barely survive til January mid-table the following season, raised some cash, cleared out my old forest squad and the rest is history as they say.

Lost 8-0 at Anfield with West Ham, amazingly wasn't sacked but was a few weeks later with a 1-0 loss away to Chelsea.

Not sure what my board were thinking exactly to sack me after a respectable result for a bottom half team, If they'd done it after the Liverpool game i would of understood :(

In our online game my mate managed to get QPR relegated from the Prem (he got them there before) and keep his job. He'll be repaying them with winning the CCC now as it seems :)

I myslef took over at Ukraine when they were leading the WC 2018 qualifyer group and dropped to the playoff place where I lost. It was a great team who should have qualified but I kept my job until I decided that I shouldn't and stepped down.

Ive done that before with QPR, youre ok as long as you have the "battle against relegation option to choose from"

Its very annoying in the 1st prem season as the players you want to sign dont see you as playing in the PL until the end of season update happens.

Which is totally against all logic, if a team is playing in the PL next season, players would sign on that basis even if there were 5 games left in the season.

Playing my long term game on FM10. Just won the Welsh Cup with Bangor City, Peterhead offer me a contract already relegated from the Scottish Second Division, I accept the offer to move (big mistake)

Lost my first game in charge trying players. In my next season i was epected to win the league, 15 games later i am floating near the bottom of the table with only 3 wins to my name and a hand full of draws. I happly resigned before the bored removed me from the job for good.

I cant pick out a single performance in my whole time at Peterhead, since they started out bad and got increasing worst. At the end of my rain after each game i was surprised i manged to keep my job. The reputation i built in wales destoryed in Scotland in a the 200 days I spent there.

I managed to not qualify for the World Cup as manager of England. I took charge of the team while they were in first place after 5 games (4 wins, 1 draw), lost the decisive game against Slovakia 1-0 away, and the i lost to Scotland in the playoffs (2-2 at home, 0-0 away). I didn't get sacked and now I will qualify for the Euros without any problems, hopefully (won my first 3 games).

Does anyone get sacked from international management. I have a long term save in FM09 where I manage the England U19 team, results have been quite mediocre. I can seem to qualify for tournaments ok then have a disasterous campaign,( sound familiar) but there is never any mention about my job even being insecure letb alone get the sack. What are other peoples experiences in International management

Archived