+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 2011 demo information

Default Football Manager 2011 demo information

Over the weekend, Football Manager 2011 on PC & Mac went “gold” on 5 of the 8 versions of the disc that are due to be manufactured, with the other 3 discs turning up later today.

That means that work has now started on the demo, and I can now reveal when it will be released.
    We are releasing the demo this year in 2 phases, with strawberry on Thursday (Steam only) and vanilla and strawberry torrent & direct download on Friday.

There are many reasons that we’ve decided to release the demo in this way this year. We basically don’t have enough time to get all the different versions built and tested by Wednesday night, so had to decide whether to release them all on Friday, or split them.

So last week, SEGA’s global marketing teams started talking to various possible partners to release the demo that would mean that everyone who wanted to get the strawberry demo on Thursday could do completely for free without breaking SIgames.com & FM.com (as happens every year), and those that were more patient, or didn’t want to use Steam for whatever reason, could still get the demo on what was the originally planned date of 2 weeks before release.

As mentioned above, the only other option was to delay all of the releases.

Our partners for the demo will be MirrorFootball in the UK, Marca in Spain, Veikkaaja in Finland and L’Equipe in France, but that does not mean that customers in other countries will be unable to get the demo. We will of course provide information at SIgames.com and footballmanager.com as soon as the demo is available so that any customer in the world is able to download the demo via Steam as soon as it goes live.

The demo will have 12 playable leagues – England, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Brazil, Argentina, Chile and is available in all languages.

At some point on Friday 22nd, we’ll make the demo available for direct download and torrent, and a vanilla version of the demo, which will feature just the English and Scottish leagues.

I know one of the first question I’ll be asked it “why choose to go with Steam first, rather than one of the others?”.

Now that it’s a PC and Mac distribution platform, everyone can get it via the system, it provides great download speeds, it will once again be one of the two options for installation for the boxed game (with lots of benefits, which I’ll be blogging about in the next couple of weeks) and is a system most of us here use without issue.

I’ve seen some posts on the forums that unfairly castigate Steam, such as blaming it for the activation issues regarding FM2009, which were nothing to do with Steam, but were caused by a denial of service attack on Uniloc’s servers, or blaming a bug in the game on Steam – a bug in the game is a bug in the game, and nothing to do with Steam at all.

Hopefully that answers that question.

As mentioned above, the links to the demo should be available here from Thursday morning – I would advise that if you’re looking to grab it quickly, that you download the Steam client in advance, which is available at www.steampowered.com, and then you’ll be just a couple of button clicks away from being able to grab it.

Amateur

Fantastic news!!!!!!

nice one miles

Semi Pro

woooooo

Amateur

Thanks for the update, can't wait to try it out.

Amateur

Steam is fantastic and i have no problems using it, have even bought two copies of Fm11 from it this year I trust it that much.

Amateur

nice, thursday it is! shame the dutch league is as unpresent as always in the demo, but im glad the uncertainty of when its coming out is over! probably need to pay the family and friends some visits before my life will be, and trust me it will be, totally about FM2011!! lovin it!

Semi Pro

Nice one Miles!!! Glad you guys chose the strawberry first!!!!

Amateur

Nice to have a set release and something to look forward to later in the week.
    Also great news the game has gone gold.

Amateur

omg see it now
    Last edited by Dalholt; 18-10-2010 at 00:18.

Amateur

greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat news finalllllllllllllllllly

Amateur

Nice...looking forward to Thursday.

If I download Steam just to get the Strawberry demo a day early, then delete Steam a few days later (I won't be using Steam for anything else), I assume I'll have to download the demo again via direct download?

Which is all good, I'm just checking.

Amateur

I LOVE MILES JACOBSON, THANK YOU AND SI!! x x

First Team Regular

Any news on chocolate?

Excellent news. FM2010 is being uninstalled as we speak to sort out the room.

Part-Timer
    Dinamo Moscow - please visit my thread in the career updates forum.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
    Any news on chocolate?
    It's full of calories.

Reserves

This is good. I'm off on thursday and friday so alls good .

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by reflection22 View Post
    Nice...looking forward to Thursday.

If I download Steam just to get the Strawberry demo a day early, then delete Steam a few days later (I won't be using Steam for anything else), I assume I'll have to download the demo again via direct download?

Which is all good, I'm just checking.
    Yes you would.

Amateur

damn, time to say goodbye to my great saves at where i went from Ajax to Atletico Madrid, from Real Sociedad to Porto, from Birmingham to Palermo and my masterpiece save at Toulouse FC.. starting fresh from thursday! thanks Miles!

Banned

Really REALLY annoyed. I like many others have had issues with Steam and will never use them for anything again so now ive got to wait an extra day. Thanks a lot. At least a date is confirmed now though, shame im at a funeral that day so I wont be able to play it on the Friday either

First Team Regular

A whole extra day because you refuse to use a piece of software.

The sky is falling.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by StevoRobbo View Post
    Really REALLY annoyed. I like many others have had issues with Steam and will never use them for anything again so now ive got to wait an extra day. Thanks a lot. At least a date is confirmed now though, shame im at a funeral that day so I wont be able to play it on the Friday either
    For something FREE surely its worth downloading? you lose nothing!

Amateur

Thought so, that's cool, I'll just play a half-season with Steam then delete it and get the direct download, only really need the Vanilla one anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nev147 View Post
    Yes you would.

Amateur

I suddenly feel a little ill........by wednesday night I think I may be at the point where I may need to call in sick for work the following morning

Reserves

No Bundesliga or MLS in demo.

Will still download on Steam though on Thursday.

Amateur

No Dutch league

Btw Miles, it are 12 COUNTRIES, not 12 leagues .
    Last edited by T-IceMan; 18-10-2010 at 00:46.

Amateur

Miles, just one question that i've been meaning to ask since FM2008. why is the dutch league never represented in the Demo's? its a lot bigger than like.. the chile, sweden, denmark or norwegian leagues.. not that i really care becauze i can at least play 2011 from thursday and i love it, but maybe there's a simple explanation that im missing haha? thanks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMunch View Post
    For something FREE surely its worth downloading? you lose nothing!
    Like I said, ive had issues in the past with Steam and im never using them again. Im glad we have got a date. I wouldnt have been able to play it on the Friday regardless but the fact its coming out on the Thursday when I can play it, but only via Steam feels like a bit of a kick in the gonads to me. I'll be sure to be up first thing on Saturday to download the direct version

Part-Timer

so now ive got to wait an extra day. Thanks a lot.
    No you won't, you're getting on the release day (Friday). Steam users get it a day earlier.

As already said, the only person making you miss out, is you.

Semi Pro

Fantastic News!

Having been playing with the new FM2011 Match Engine in FML for a few days now I am even more excited about FM2011 than ever.

Amateur

I will give steam one last chance. If they let me down Miles, I will hunt you down...

Yeah me too.
    I am very enthusiastic in Football Manager 2011. Are very curious about the training. and private interviews with the players.

Greetz Stefan

Amateur

Miles.....

Where I am ( South Korea) it says that I can't buy fm2011 throuhg steam as it's not available here. Will i be able to download the demo through STEAM though??

Thanks in advance

Amateur

Yiiiiippieeeeee can't wait

Amateur

Like I said, ive had issues in the past with Steam and im never using them again. Im glad we have got a date. I wouldnt have been able to play it on the Friday regardless but the fact its coming out on the Thursday when I can play it, but only via Steam feels like a bit of a kick in the gonads to me. I'll be sure to be up first thing on Saturday to download the direct version
    Mate, I once had a problem with the co-op. Basically short changed and then the person who did that called me a liar and I was marched out of the shop, after they checked the till and CCTV they apologised to me, but I didn't shop there for months and months, but one day I was out with my niece and she cut her leg, we needed some plasters and some water to clean it so I made a decision to go to the Co-op, whilst there I bought a scratch-card and won £200! If I hadn't have backed down over my stubborness I would not have won that money. So, considering this is something for free (and a lot of companies ONLY do demos on steam and nowhere else nowadays) surely, you can give this a go - then if it messes up you can say "well i was right" but why not just give it a chance? Its not having to murder somebody.

Part-Timer

Thanks. That's Thursday sorted.

Semi Pro
    Wishing he was at Fenway Park watching his beloved Red Sox

Nice one guys

Banned

Mate, I once had a problem with the co-op. Basically short changed and then the person who did that called me a liar and I was marched out of the shop, after they checked the till and CCTV they apologised to me, but I didn't shop there for months and months, but one day I was out with my niece and she cut her leg, we needed some plasters and some water to clean it so I made a decision to go to the Co-op, whilst there I bought a scratch-card and won £200! If I hadn't have backed down over my stubborness I would not have won that money. So, considering this is something for free (and a lot of companies ONLY do demos on steam and nowhere else nowadays) surely, you can give this a go - then if it messes up you can say "well i was right" but why not just give it a chance? Its not having to murder somebody.
    I understand exactly what your saying and your right. It just feels like SI is trying to force Steam onto people though. I know its only 1 day difference and if it was say a week difference it would be a different story but....

Im sure im not alone here with the issues with Steam and it seems unfair that SI are releasing it in this way. It should be released at the same time for everybody then everybody is happy. This is just the start of it, wait till tomorrow when all the other 'Steam Haters' find out what is going on

Anyway, I suppose I'll have to wait till Saturday. As ive got a funeral to go to in Bournmouth, I'll be taking my quite old laptop and having Steam running on it as well as FM would probably make it blow up so im screwed. A direct download on Thursday would have been ideal because I could have played it on the train. Oh well

Semi Pro

Anyone know when the demo is out??????

Amateur

Yay, great news. Looking forward to giving this a spin!! I'll probably just download on Steam and then get rid of it again when Ive finished with the demo.

Also I have wednesday and thursday off (Im in Canada so I guess the demo will be released late wednesday night my time!) so plenty of time to get stuck in!!

Sports Interactive

PSN: TerScotland79

Miles explained in the opening post. It was either release it all at the same time on Friday or get the strawberry version out a day earlier via Steam. It would be a lot easier for us just to make it available through Steam and be done with it but a lot of extra effort goes in to making the various different versions and having as many places to get it from as possible.

If you don't like Steam for whatever reason then there will be other places to get it from on Friday. It will still be there on Saturday and Sunday as well.

Amateur

I understand exactly what your saying and your right. It just feels like SI is trying to force Steam onto people though. I know its only 1 day difference and if it was say a week difference it would be a different story but....

Im sure im not alone here with the issues with Steam and it seems unfair that SI are releasing it in this way. It should be released at the same time for everybody then everybody is happy. This is just the start of it, wait till tomorrow when all the other 'Steam Haters' find out what is going on

Anyway, I suppose I'll have to wait till Saturday. As ive got a funeral to go to in Bournmouth, I'll be taking my quite old laptop and having Steam running on it as well as FM would probably make it blow up so im screwed. A direct download on Thursday would have been ideal because I could have played it on the train. Oh well
    Si are being sensible because Steam does do a better job of sharing out, meaning you don't get the days like 2005 where the forum and site would crash thanks to the amount of people. Give it a go, you say it would blow but I have played on worse, believe me. My laptop was an old steaming crapfest last year and I ran the full game fine on steam on a train to Devon!!! Give it a go, take your mind off the funeral and have fun, you might just find faith in steam again and see SI are just saving the stress of "oh damn the forum is crashing, I want this download so much"!!!

(And strangely, I have a funeral same day, so will be thinking of you because of that!)

Amateur

Digital distribution is the future of gaming, might as well embrace it some time. Steam was balls when it first came out almost eight years ago, but it's by far and wide the most sensible way to buy and play games today.

Amateur

so is 6 months as far as the demo goes?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by leedsfan88 View Post
    yes, 6 months

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by leedsfan88 View Post
    Yup, it's a half season demo, as it always is.

Amateur

will the demo be out at midnight thursday morning??

thanks

roberto922

Gotta love people being so ignorant of steam that they refuse to use one of the greatest innovations in recent PC gaming history because they've had a couple of problems.

One quick question, I've only ever played top flight in the demo so never thought to check, is the BSP included in the English quickstart?

Part-Timer

So this will be on Thursday morning London time, or at midnight Wednesday night, sometime throughout Thursday...? Not demanding anything, just wondering to be ready for whenever it happens

roberto922

Well Steam demos are released as soon as it hits a date, so midnight Wednesday. Well, technically midnight Thursday but you'll know what I mean.

Part-Timer

So for me in the US it will be ready at 6pm Wednesday? Fantastic

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Twellman24 View Post
    So for me in the US it will be ready at 6pm Wednesday? Fantastic
    lol, I got to wait until Thursday afternoon here in Australia

Amateur

Must i buy the full version of the game from steam if i download the demo from the steam?

Amateur

It's in! Is gold!!! -18!!! Thank you si!!!

FC Oss Researcher
    Terrassa, Spain - FC Barcelona Member #174408

Quote Originally Posted by laBOMBA View Post
    lol, I got to wait until Thursday afternoon here in Australia
    no, you need to wait until 10AM Thursday morning

Part-Timer

Many Thanls Miles & to all at SI for the hard work

Is it Thursday yet?

Amateur

Great news!
    We are expecting all your feedback about the Argentinian league.
    We had a Head Researcher change and did a great revamp of our league!!

Semi Pro
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils...

Gettin!!! Brilliant news

Amateur

Si are being sensible because Steam does do a better job of sharing out, meaning you don't get the days like 2005 where the forum and site would crash thanks to the amount of people. Give it a go, you say it would blow but I have played on worse, believe me. My laptop was an old steaming crapfest last year and I ran the full game fine on steam on a train to Devon!!! Give it a go, take your mind off the funeral and have fun, you might just find faith in steam again and see SI are just saving the stress of "oh damn the forum is crashing, I want this download so much"!!!

(And strangely, I have a funeral same day, so will be thinking of you because of that!)
    Well I actually think torrent is a brilliant way to share files (direct download however is ancient and slow), and the demo will be all over the net in a matter of moments so the sharing just becomes easier and easier by the hour. I always get max speed through that system. Don't have Steam and have no desire to have it either, and no it's not cause I've had problems with them I just don't have any use of it. That said, I'm not at all fussed about waiting another day to grab it via torrent. There are other things to keep me occupied on a thursday.

Amateur

Waow ! Thanks for the Steam release on thursday ! Friday I'm full of work, so I can't DL or play.
    Thanks a lot Miles, GF38 here I come !

Youth Team

ive already preodered the box version and so does this mean i have to wait till friday as ive never used steam before. dont even know the address of the website so i guess il have to wait tll friday or can i use steam to dl the demo thursday even thio im not signed up for it

Amateur

My last exam is Thursday evening, will have to restrain myself for a few hours

Amateur

Great news! Tried Steam. No major issues with it, just didn't like it. I'm happy to wait an extra day, it's not the end of the world.

Semi Pro

Sadly the vanilla is only available a day later.

Amateur

Can't we play in Turkish League?

For FM 2010, there wasn't any information about Turkish League. But we played the demo in Turkish League.
    Last edited by crdsa; 18-10-2010 at 09:46.

Amateur

Default Liverpool take over

Miles will the recent liverpool takeover be in the game, or did it happen too late to be included.
    Thanks, really looking forward to the demo.

Amateur

I knew it!! The day I have to go into hospital is the day the demo is released!

Amateur

awwww going away for some Winter Sun on Thursday for 10 days

Third Team

I have gone on to my steam account and am trying to load the steam client but cant find anything for fm11 anyone help? thanks

Amateur

I've had one or two minor issues with steam, but on the whole I think its a good thing, I live in a place where I just can't go out and buy a game on a whim, so ebay or steam are the usual options for me. Also steam has some very good deals. All of the COH games for a fiver once, absolute bargain. While I can see that people wont touch it for whatever reason, give it a go fellas (and gals).

As for the demo, this is the first time I've really looked forward to it.

Amateur

Wicked News! Bit out of the loop here........Which is the better demo, Vanilla or Strawberry!!??

And i've not played FM since April as been out of the country......do i dare start up a cheeky game on 09 or just hold on till Thurs/Fri!!??

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by lfc7 View Post
    I have gone on to my steam account and am trying to load the steam client but cant find anything for fm11 anyone help? thanks
    Anyone help please?

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dav_58 View Post
    Wicked News! Bit out of the loop here........Which is the better demo, Vanilla or Strawberry!!??
    Look here .
    Last edited by Ishu; 18-10-2010 at 10:27.

Third Team

I guess i'll be waiting till friday. Ah well, we had to wait longer than Steam users to get the Tree style Skin with FM10.

Thanks for the info Miles.

Part-Timer

Brazil in demo = <3

Now i cant wait til thursday!!!!!

Amateur

Tried to 'look here' but its not working!

Amateur

@lfc7 Are you meaning the fm 11 demo? I can see the pre order for the game but not the demo if thats what you mean? They still have the fm 10 demo available for download which is weird, I guess they will take that down soon I guess.
    Last edited by nzleeds; 18-10-2010 at 10:25.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dav_58 View Post
    Tried to 'look here' but its not working!
    Fixed .

Amateur

Cheers Ishu, Strawberry and Thursday it is then!

Amateur

Great news!!!

I cannot wait to try this.

I didnt read it all but whats the difference in downloads?

If its already been talked about again sorry but I'm a former CMer converted by TG and BGS lack of ears :-D

Third Team

I don't use STEAM, so I'll download Strawberry version on Friday and start playing it then.

Amateur

Whats the difference?

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ponting View Post
    Whats the difference?
    What's the difference beetwen what? Strawberry and Vanilla? Read the OP if you want to know that.

Amateur

Have done now and cheers

Amateur

Finally some news :] a bit late but better late than never

Amateur

Oh yeah!! Luckily, I don't have school on Friday! But, what do you mean by "went gold"?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by WinterAce View Post
    Oh yeah!! Luckily, I don't have school on Friday! But, what do you mean by "went gold"?
    Its finished, now into manufacturing ready to be sold

Amateur

Great news! Thanks every developer! I hope I'll can play under Linux with wine.

Any chance for a Linux version? (I think it isn't too hard, coz we have a Mac edition.)

Banned

As somebody as already said, how hard would it be to set up a torrent download on the Thursday also? I bet the majority of people would download via Steam or Torrent anyway so that would leave the website clear.

I probably will give Steam a go, just for the Demo. I'll be buying the DVD on release. Will I need to be connected to the net constantly while im playing the demo as that would be a problem on the train. If there is an offline mode like the full game then that would be ok i suppose. Any help would be great?

Lurker

excellent news ... not only realized something ... I'm new in these things to play the demo, I have always preferred to start with the full game, what is the difference between draw the game by STEAM, or another site / program??

Semi Pro
    1 year, 2 trophies. 3 more in 4 years - what dya reckon?

I have to ask, my games PC is not linked to the net though it could be tempoarily to download the steam client & demo BUT would I have to be linked to the net every time I play it?

Semi Pro

As somebody as already said, how hard would it be to set up a torrent download on the Thursday also? I bet the majority of people would download via Steam or Torrent anyway so that would leave the website clear.

I probably will give Steam a go, just for the Demo. I'll be buying the DVD on release. Will I need to be connected to the net constantly while im playing the demo as that would be a problem on the train. If there is an offline mode like the full game then that would be ok i suppose. Any help would be great?
    It would be hard, or we'd be doing it.

You need the net connection to download and install Steam's client (it's tiny) and to download the demo (that will be bigger). After that, you run Steam once, set it to "Offline mode", and never need to use it online again - so no issues on trains etc.

Simples.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Matt - SEGA View Post

You need the net connection to download and install Steam's client (it's tiny) and to download the demo (that will be bigger). After that, you run Steam once, set it to "Offline mode", and never need to use it online again - so no issues on trains etc.

Simples.
    Ok thanks for that. Certainly makes things a lot easier then. I'll begrudgingly install steam and get it otherwise I wouldnt be able to get it until Saturday

Third Team

Simples.
    Hi could you help in the op miles said "I would advise that if you’re looking to grab it quickly, that you download the Steam client in advance, which is available at www.steampowered.com, and then you’ll be just a couple of button clicks away from being able to grab it."

Now ive gone on to my steam account and can only find the full game to buy nothing to do with the demo

Any ideas what i need to do to download the steam client in advance? thanks

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by lfc7 View Post
    Hi could you help in the op miles said "I would advise that if you’re looking to grab it quickly, that you download the Steam client in advance, which is available at www.steampowered.com, and then you’ll be just a couple of button clicks away from being able to grab it."

Now ive gone on to my steam account and can only find the full game to buy nothing to do with the demo

Any ideas what i need to do to download the steam client in advance? thanks

If you've gone onto your Steam account you already have the Steam Client on your PC don't you.

Now you wait for the demo to be made available which will be Thursday as Miles said in the OP.

Amateur

I am pretty sure as soon as the Steam Demo is released someone will find a way to upload to to various sites on the Thursday.

What ya think?

Just the way it happens with updates. Or is that not possible.
    Last edited by GraemeHall; 18-10-2010 at 13:26.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar2010 View Post
    If you've gone onto your Steam account you already have the Steam Client on your PC don't you.

Now you wait for the demo to be made available which will be Thursday as Miles said in the OP.
    Thanks didnt know what he meant i thought he meant you had to download something off steam once again thanks

Semi Pro

Whats so hard with uploading the torrent on thursday. Looks like STEAM is paying you for that.

Amateur

Yea, what's the difference between them uploading the strawberry demo to steam and them uploading it via torrent or direct download? Surely the strawberry demo is the strawberry demo? Or are the steam and torrent/direct download versions totally different?

Not really bothered, I don't mind installing Steam for a few days, just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishu View Post
    Whats so hard with uploading the torrent on thursday. Looks like STEAM is paying you for that.
    Last edited by reflection22; 18-10-2010 at 13:34.

Part-Timer

`At the end of the day, these things like having one of the demos released on Thursday instead of both on Friday are the type of things one needs to remember when it comes to being patient because of a setup error or something happening on release date. I for one really appreciate the effort to give a little early gift to the FM community. Thanks guys!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast