Warning to all Mac-Steam users - Regarding FM2011

This is just meant to be an informative thread. I just want to make sure everybody know how things are, leading up to the release of FM2011.

I am a moderator for the only Spanish FMSite, a place with hundreds of Spanish FM fans. As I am an actual translator, the admin for the site asked me to try the FM2011 preview (after asking SEGA obviously), so that I could write a review of the game with screenshots and such, in Spanish and English. So I said yes, and he gave me the code for Steam, which is the one and only way to download the preview as he said.

I went to Steam and entered the code, but upon Steam setting up the download, it gave me a "The servers are too busy to handle your request, please try again in a few minutes."

Not a big deal, I thought. Well, it has been 36 hours and I am still being told to "try again in a few minutes". I have tried everything I have seen online for the past day and a half; changing my region, re-installing, deleting clientregister.blob, deleting this, tweaking that, etc. Nothing has worked yet.

This is not about the fact that we will not be able to provide with a preview in Spanish to the hundreds of Spanish speakers who were waiting on one; this is about how Steam cannot provide the service they announce for Mac users. If the "try again in a few minutes" error shows up today, I can't even imagine how long it is going to be when release date comes and thousands of Mac users pile up to have their game fixed so they can play it after spending $40.

I sent Steam a question via their support page, and nothing since yesterday morning. I was kind of looking forward not having to carry a CD this year to play FM11, but it looks like I am not going to bet on Steam being on top of their game in three weeks for Mac users, if they are obviously not atm with a preview that only a few are able to play.

I don't know if SI cares much about this, but you'd think they'd want to give them a warning to make sure they don't lose any more customers like they have lost me. I repeat: I am not resentful, mad, or any of that; i just don't want to risk paying $40 to Steam and hope the game will be running not only on release date, but on the next following days or weeks, when they cannot even seem to get it together to have a preview available for Mac users. Hey, they are the ones who advertised like it was a world premiere that they could now service Mac users...you'd think they would want to honor that.

As someone who was planning on buying this year through steam for my mac, this is a little concerning.

Has anyone here downloaded a different game for mac via steam? how smooth was that process?

Also, i expect the demo will be available on steam, so that may give a good indicator of their ability to provide a timely service.

As someone who was planning on buying this year through steam for my mac, this is a little concerning.

Has anyone here downloaded a different game for mac via steam? how smooth was that process?

Also, i expect the demo will be available on steam, so that may give a good indicator of their ability to provide a timely service.

I downloaded fm2010 on it and it was fine.

I'd be fairly sure that it will be fine on the day of release. If I am wrong you can come this thread and say haha told you so but i'd nearly certain it willwork fine!

I think miles email is miles@sigames.com btw

The person who gave you the code will have a SEGA or an SI contact. You should be taking issues like that up there, not via the forums - the way preview code is treated is different to the way release code is treated in terms of resource so your assumption of the worst (and subsequent broadcast of that) may not be relevant.

Please have your site admin contact us or provide you with contact details - and then give us as much detail as possible regarding the issue you had via that medium. In the meantime, I'll raise it to the relevant parties at SEGA tomorrow so we can also look into it.

Thanks

Matt

The person who gave you the code will have a SEGA or an SI contact. You should be taking issues like that up there, not via the forums - the way preview code is treated is different to the way release code is treated in terms of resource so your assumption of the worst (and subsequent broadcast of that) may not be relevant.

Please have your site admin contact us or provide you with contact details - and then give us as much detail as possible regarding the issue you had via that medium. In the meantime, I'll raise it to the relevant parties at SEGA tomorrow so we can also look into it.

Thanks

Matt

Matt, the reason why I came here is because the person who gave me the code contacted his SEGA contact on Friday morning, and no response has come back yet. Being as the demo is most likely going to be released next Friday, a response on Monday-Tuesday for a review on Wednesday would be a bit pointless. Also, my broadcast of the worst may very well not be relevant, but after all the pointless threads about rants regarding the game which do not make any sense, you would think a legitimate concern thread from a worried FM user for more than a decade would be appreciated as the company moves forward.

My point being, we have contacted SEGA 72 hours ago. And Steam. No response from either of them. And to be burtally honest with you, if Steam was having problems installing any FM product on a Mac, I would want to know of that issue come release date when I decide to buy FM through Steam or not. My honest opinion.

You contacted SEGA 72 hours ago... 48 hours of which were the weekend. If you want to PM me your name and the name of the person who was originally provided the code, I'll make sure it's addressed in the morning, as I mentioned previously. Needless to say - we don't want to have any issues with Steam, either, but the problem you're having now may well not be relevant come launch - and therefore, shouldn't be on the forums.

I appreciate your attempts to make contact and your concerns - and will come back to you tomorrow.

Thanks.

Archived