+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Criticizing Refs

Amateur

Default Criticizing Refs

Wow thats a hard word to spell....

Anywho,
    Why does there not seem to be a 'middle ground' answer when asked about a penalty decision/dissallowed goal etc?
    When asked, as we all very well know, you get 5 options:-
    Abysmal decision; - FA Fine
    A case for getting it wrong - FA Fine
    Dont want to talk about it - Nothing
    The ref made a good call
    The ref was spot on.

What I'm asking is why does the second one down get you an FA fine?
    The way interpreted that was more along the lines of;
    "I personally thought he could have given a penalty, but he didnt so we have to move on"

But the game seems puts in into a context along the lines of;
    "The ref was absolutly shoddy"

Managers say stuff like that all the time without gettin fines.
    So every time I get this question I end up haveing to say 'No comment' because even though it looked like I could have a case, I have only ever won one and the next time I do I'll end up with a touchline ban.

Hopefully FM11 will explain the answers abit better

Semi Pro

I think FA only fines you if the Critcism was wrong. Otherwise they just chhose remain silent.
    Makes this feature pointless IMO.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Ishu View Post
    I think FA only fines you if the Critcism was wrong .Otherwise they just chhose remain silent.
    Makes this feature pointless IMO.
    The FA would choose to remain silent only once in a blue moon. I think Dan is right, this feature needs tweking. Lets hope FM11 polished the press conference well.
    Last edited by Indran1412; 19-09-2010 at 10:47. Reason: typo

Third Team

I hope this aspect of the game gets improved in FM11.

Semi Pro

Might be. I don't use press conference.

Amateur

i don't like it because you can hardly tell if it was the right decision or not, especially if you use classic view on match screen.

Amateur

Apparently they have looked at all the questions in press confrences for 2011 and changed some of them, so i hope they have changed it for this. There were lots of questions that didn't give the answer I wanted which was annoying. Do like press confrences though so i hope they are improved for this game!

Amateur

Unless the decision is a clear-cut mistake (take lampard's "goal" for england against germany) then criticising the ref only gets you a fine (and a touchline ban if it occurs again)

What i'd like is for the ban to not roll over (I criticised a ref once in 2018 and missied a match)... I can't remember a previous time (pre-2015) when i had done this
    Absolutely ludicrous that i miss a match for my second offence in about 5 years

I wonder if we should be able to make mind-games comments towards the refs, too? That could be fun.

Banned

Its wrong, any criticism results in a fine then ban in the game, that is clearly not the case IRL.

Saying the ref decided the game might get you a fine.
    Saying the ref got it wrong wont get you a fine or even warning. If that was the case, Fergie and Wenger would be on the phone to Ocean Finance right now.

FC Oss Researcher
    Terrassa, Spain - FC Barcelona Member #174408

yes im sure that its been looked it for 11. This is just one example of saying an answer in the conference and get a news item saying something completely different! eg "He still features in my teams plans" translates to "XXXX is first choice"

exaclty the same for refs, which can result in touchline bans etc, fingers corssed its fixed up

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by aussieant32 View Post
    yes im sure that its been looked it for 11. This is just one example of saying an answer in the conference and get a news item saying something completely different! eg "He still features in my teams plans" translates to "XXXX is first choice"

exaclty the same for refs, which can result in touchline bans etc, fingers corssed its fixed up
    So its realistic then? That is exactly what happens in real life with the news items changing from what you said.

Semi Pro

Reading the match report will tell you whether the penalty was the correct/wrong decision. If it's wrong, you can then complain about the ref. If otherwise, say nothing and move on.

Semi Pro

Yes. reading the match report would do it.
    If it says something along the lines of
    " Nemanja Vidic through a huge right hook at Darren Bent. "

That would be a penalty.

If it says
    "Nani goes down in the box"
    and they give it as a penalty.

Be sure too criticize the ref for that call.

FC Oss Researcher
    Terrassa, Spain - FC Barcelona Member #174408

Quote Originally Posted by Reganio View Post
    So its realistic then? That is exactly what happens in real life with the news items changing from what you said.
    no, because the player reacts to the news statement an not your statement

Amateur

Look at the ref's performance on the post-match anaylsis screen too that will give you a hint. e.g. "The ref had a good game" or "his decisions were pretty straight-forward" means don't criticise. "Was biased towards the hosts." means plug away.

I've criticised the ref a few times and the FA have always remained silent. Would be better if the ref got banned for a few games, or had some other effect. 3 yellow cards (Graham Poll) would be nice too

Moderator and Technical Support

Always say nothing and that way you cant upset either the authorities or your players.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FrazT View Post
    Always say nothing and that way you cant upset either the authorities or your players.
    You shouldnt really have to though. No manager says nothing every time something controversial happens. If something is wrong then you should be able to choose the option to say so without getting fined every time. If we are just supposed to say nothing every time there really is no point in having this feature in the game.

Every week a manager says that he thinks a certain descision was wrong but he doesnt get fined. The only way you get fined is if you basically call the ref a cheat or overstep the mark. It seems like there is no middle ground with the game though and every disagreeing response is like calling the ref a cheat.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FrazT View Post
    Sadly thats what I do now which renders the PCs a complete waste of time, you either have to click through them saying nothing or send the assistant and risk him upsetting your players.

+ Reply to Thread