Suggestions for getting the forum more usable

Hi mods and SI admins,

1) Could there be a sticky related to FM11 specs (for laptop, video card and so on) ? The new sticky related to the release date/demo is a good idea to gather/lock all such topics. Let's go further.

2) Mods have agreed that the wishlist thread was not the best idea for new suggestions : it's difficult to have constructive discussion on new ideas posted, and to find all the ideas already posted. Could there be a section dedicated to FM11 and future FM's ideas ?

3) Also I think each thread suggesting no more than one idea should have a poll to see better the importance of the suggestion among the fans, so mods could add it if not done originally by the OP

4) Could there be a shortcut showing a list of all the thread I ve posted in on the front page ? So far I only found something on my profile, but it requests lots of clics and also I don't like the way threads are listed, being used to other presentations and modules.

Thanks for the feedback :thup:

These are just my thoughts on the four points:

1. As soon as they are released, the link in the forum header will be updated.

2. This has been suggested many times in the past, but we still don't have one.

3. Polls are pretty good for this sort of thing, but I don't really want to spend my time adding them to other people's threads. I think the best thing to do is to ask for one if it is missing, I'm pretty sure the OP can still add one at a later date.

4. 'Settings' - 'List Subscriptions' will get you there in two clicks, or you could bookmark that page to make it quicker.

1) The release date is not known yet and still there s a sticky to stop the three postings a day regarding this. This is the idea for the specs. I don't mind personally what specs will be^.

2) So I understand you don't decide this, SI does ? Yeah, this is what I thought. @SI : such a section would be in your interest, with more ideas posted, discussed and improved for you.

3) No we can't add poll later, but I understand your point nw.

4) Well not perfect as I don't subscribe automatically whenever I post but it's ok I can survive

One way to improve the forums would be to ban anybody that doesnt search for well known issues before making a thread or people that make stupid pointless threads in general.

I know you insist on it a lot mate. I used to do that last year TBH, but it's really hard to fght against them all. So, IMO it would be a bit harsh to ban them, but with now 'Search' function working better then ever, I agree that people should first search before making a thread or post.

Cheers.

I know you insist on it a lot mate. I used to do that last year TBH, but it's really hard to fght against them all. So, IMO it would be a bit harsh to ban them, but with now 'Search' function working better then ever, I agree that people should first search before making a thread or post.

Cheers.

I dont mean a permanent ban, that would be too harsh. Maybe scaled depending on how many posts you have. Somebody with 500+ posts should be banned for a week. They have no excuses. Somebody new will be informed, if it continues then ban them for the rest of the day. Anybody with over 100 posts gets banned for a few days. Again they should know better.

Anybody making stupid pointless threads should recieve an immediate 1 week ban.

I dont mean a permanent ban, that would be too harsh. Maybe scaled depending on how many posts you have. Somebody with 500+ posts should be banned for a week. They have no excuses. Somebody new will be informed, if it continues then ban them for the rest of the day. Anybody with over 100 posts gets banned for a few days. Again they should know better.

Anybody making stupid pointless threads should recieve an immediate 1 week ban.

Fantastic way to ensure no-one ever comes back to the forums.

I know that when I was new on the forums, I wouldn't have bothered coming back if I got banned for not using the search feature which, in all honesty, is still average at best.

It's an internet forum, not a prison. You can't expect everyone to do everything perfectly.

Yeah, the search function is good and people should be given a friendly "next time, try searching- what you want may well have already been covered" at the end of an answer to their oft-repeated question, but banning people for not doing it? I don't like the sound of that. Bans and infractions should be for people who are genuinely harming the forum.

I would love Forum or Sub-Forum for ideas, suggestions and wishlists for future FM's. :thup:

I think that's a fantastic idea. It would really help SI also as it'd be easier for them to see the features we would like in the game as they'd all have there seperate threads.

Also on the topic on banning for not searching I don't like that idea. If someone has a massive go at someone for not searching then there not going to want to use the forums anymore. Just a nice suggestion like "next time please can you use the search filter before making a thread to check if your question or topic is already being discussed". Also a link the topic that they should be using would be very useful.

If the offence is commited multiple times by the same person the post could be reported and a mod could PM the member telling them to always search and saying that if it happens again an infraction point will be awarded.

I think that's a fantastic idea. It would really help SI also as it'd be easier for them to see the features we would like in the game as they'd all have there seperate threads.

Also on the topic on banning for not searching I don't like that idea. If someone has a massive go at someone for not searching then there not going to want to use the forums anymore. Just a nice suggestion like "next time please can you use the search filter before making a thread to check if your question or topic is already being discussed". Also a link the topic that they should be using would be very useful.

If the offence is commited multiple times by the same person the post could be reported and a mod could PM the member telling them to always search and saying that if it happens again an infraction point will be awarded.

Yes that is more like what I meant to say. Maybe banning is a bit extreme but there are certain users on here that make pointless threads on a daily basis (not mentioning any names). We all know who they are, including the mods but nothing is ever done. Not even an infraction. If you have a certain post count you should know better. In my eyes, if somebody with over 500 posts makes a thread asking when the FM11 demo is out or something equally annoying then they deserve to be infracted/banned IMO. Really no excuse for it.

I dont know how many times ive asked for sub-sections where ideas can be put and even a tech specs thread in some kind of sub section where all the 'Is this laptop/computer good enough' threads can go. Just something to keep a bit of oder in GD instead of perfectly good threads being lost because of all these threads.

Neji has recently made a sticky about the demo and also a few other things in there which all fall in the same bracket. Hopefully people will take note of that before making new threads. Its a bit annoying that its taken so long for a sticky about this to be made but at least its there now.

I like the new skin to be honest and the smiles are growing on me :D

The only thing annoying about the new skin is the new quick navigation. Please replace the top button with the go button or put a go button next to the top button , it'd make things so much easier.

Archived