Is the Tranfer system abit of Joke in FM 2010?

I am on my 7th Season, My Current centre defence at the moment are Daniel Agger and Rayn Shawcross.

I thought I would look for Better centre defence than my two currents defence.

I have try my hardest to sign the best Centre Defence there is in the Tranfer Markets

I have try sign Nicola`s Otamendi( SEVILLA F.C) as his wages is £70,000 a week and Tranfer values is £15.75m

So I put offer in for £25m

They have reject my offer...

I thought...Fair enough because they want to keep the best players....

I came up with another offer and put £35m

They have Reject my offer!!!

So I thought....**** IT....Let put £50m and see what happen!!!?

They STILL Reject my offer and they say

You better come up with the Offer of sum £92M

I thought....PFFFTTTT.......What a Joke.....

Well....I have try on every best centre defence there is in the tranfer markets such as when I put offer £40m for Gerard Pique (his tranfer values is £18m).....if that happen in real life...Barcelona would be happy to sell to me for that price as they could easily find replacement!!!

Do you ever get frustrating by these overprice tranfer markets that are so unrealtic and unreal!!?

Let hope they Get sorted on FM 2011! :)

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If its a key player to their team why should they give you a reasonable price. The way I look at it, if you want to pay an insanely huge price for him then they'll take it, otherwise they get to keep their key guy. I'd do it for a guy I didn't really want to trade but was ok seeing what I could get for him.

As for the over priced market... I don't blow massive amounts on the know guys that will be hard pickups, I actually put some time into it and find the rare unsigned diamond or the cheap young players with loads of potential. That kind of thing.

Too many people focus on the -real- side of the game wanting to play the big teams and sign all the best players in the world. Try actually being a manager and finding that talent that others have over looked, that's a no-name newgen or something.

Too many people focus on the -real- side of the game wanting to play the big teams and sign all the best players in the world. Try actually being a manager and finding that talent that others have over looked, that's a no-name newgen or something.

Sorry but that can't be an excuse for the joke (yes I kinda agree with the op) that is the transfer system in fm2010. As I said before in other threads I had offers of 80/90 million rejected for players worth 10mil or less.

Just out of curiosity, what was Otamendi's release clause at Sevilla? You could always just pay that, if it's not too high.

To answer your question though, I personally don't get irritated by how the transfer market works in FM. Sure, it has its flaws, but overall it seems just fine and rather accurate as to what it would be in real life. If a club has a player that they really value, then the chances of them letting him go will be that much smaller. And when or if they let do let him go, it'll be for a very high amount. This especially applies to bigger clubs in the big leagues. Do you think Barcelona would let go of Messi if let's say Man City came in with a 60 or 70 million bid? Highly unlikely. For one, he's extremely important to them and how they play, and second, Barca is not exactly desperate for money. Yeah, they are experiencing some financial difficulties at the moment, but selling someone like Messi to get over those problems will be the last thing on their minds. Plus, how exactly would you replace Messi anyway?

The same can be said about your Gerard Pique example. He can't be easily replaced. At some point, the actual player is worth more than almost any high amount of money, and on top of it, the hassle/difficulty to go find a replacement for him. Now, I'm not saying it is impossible to buy him, because it's not. You just have to make the incentive for Barca extra special. Probably around 100 million, or some other crazy amount. Yes, it's insane, but that's what it is. If you're so desperate to get this player, then you'll have to pay desperately/stupidly high fees.

You can also place yourself in their position. Lets say you have a 23 year-old striker that is the best in the world, and on top of it, you're not desperate for money. A club comes along that wants to buy the striker from you. The striker's value is 40 million. The club offers you 60 or 70 million for him. Would you take that? Consider the fact that the striker still has a good 8 or 9 years of peak ability ahead of him, barring any really serious injuries. How much benefit can your team attain from having such a player? How much money can he bring to your club through merchandise sales as well as the prize money your team would collect as a side effect of this player's skill? He, most likely, will lead your club to numerous titles and cups. Will also increase the reputation of your club through which the amount of TV money your receive will also increase. Would you be willing to trade in all that for just 60 or 70 million? I certainly wouldn't. I'd set his asking price at something insane like 150 million or even higher.

Sorry but that can't be an excuse for the joke (yes I kinda agree with the op) that is the transfer system in fm2010. As I said before in other threads I had offers of 80/90 million rejected for players worth 10mil or less.

Fine then the reason for what you call stupid transfer AI is this...

I have a striker on my team that gets over 1 goal -AND- 1 assist per game. The man is golden for me but I know he's going to attract attention and people will want to move him. However unless I have some really solid backup for him I'm not going to want to give him up but at the same time my team could use some money. So I'm not going to give him to any team for his list price, I'm going to ask something way over the top or just flat decline offers. If someone actually pays me the ultra high price, great! Cash in the bank and plenty to go find someone else to fill his shoes. If everyone thinks I'm crazy for asking so much, like the OP, that's just as good because I get to keep the player that is helping my dominate the league, selling massive shirts, and packing my stadium.

Get the point now?

Myself, I know if I'm going after a key member of a team I'm going to have to pay out the #$^ for it, it's common sense. If they want more then you are willing to give for the guy, oh well, go find someone else. It's really not that hard.

To answer your question though, I personally don't get irritated by how the transfer market works in FM. Sure, it has its flaws, but overall it seems just fine and rather accurate as to what it would be in real life. If a club has a player that they really value, then the chances of them letting him go will be that much smaller. And when or if they let do let him go, it'll be for a very high amount. This especially applies to bigger clubs in the big leagues. Do you think Barcelona would let go of Messi if let's say Man City came in with a 60 or 70 million bid? Highly unlikely.

I think that the real core of the issue is not that it's odd to have to pay a great deal for a highly talented player, but that the player's listed value bears almost no relation to the transfer fee demanded. It's true that Barcelona wouldn't let Messi go for 70 million. However, Messi's value in-game is ~35 million. 70 million is double his listed value. In the OP's example, Seville are asking for nearly six times Otamendi's listed value. That's the equivalent of Barcelona asking 210 million for Messi, which is exorbitant, even by FM standards. Furthermore, it usually doesn't work both ways: the AI generally will refuse to pay 6x a player's listed value. You're lucky to get 3x, even with a talented player.

I think that the real core of the issue is not that it's odd to have to pay a great deal for a highly talented player, but that the player's listed value bears almost no relation to the transfer fee demanded. It's true that Barcelona wouldn't let Messi go for 70 million. However, Messi's value in-game is ~35 million. 70 million is double his listed value. In the OP's example, Seville are asking for nearly six times Otamendi's listed value. That's the equivalent of Barcelona asking 210 million for Messi, which is exorbitant, even by FM standards. Furthermore, it usually doesn't work both ways: the AI generally will refuse to pay 6x a player's listed value. You're lucky to get 3x, even with a talented player.

Do you always let your players go for their listed value? more over, would you offer a player your club -needed- for his listed value? If you would then man I wanna play in your league.

No one ever said anything about letting a player go for his listed value. That's a red herring. The issue, pure and simple, is the vast gulf between the value given to the player, and the value the AI expects to receive. The reason a 'value' exists is to give some idea of what a player is worth on the open market. If the value indicates nothing, then there is an issue.

This difference in value works both ways you can pick up a good player very cheaply when the club want to sell.

The only problem I have the system is that big clubs tend to get offers for players accepted far to easy compared to small clubs

This can be chalked up to players on big clubs having a skill level or ability far more rare. Smaller club players are easier to find, hence why there are so many clubs over all. So I don't expect any foreign teams to ever show any interest in any but the best of my MLS players. If I want to get rid of a player there is generally a reason for it, he's not good enough. So it doesn't shock me when no one else wants them either. They get waived and no one even takes them for free.

But a for any top European team, even their players that don't make the cut are valuable to a lower end team.

The only problem I have with the transfer AI is that, at least in the MLS, it doesn't know how to manage players properly and since 10.3 you'll see the AI waive really good players and no other teams try to get them... I'm talking -top- players in the MLS. That is a problem, but the other things being talked about in this thread make sense.

No one ever said anything about letting a player go for his listed value. That's a red herring. The issue, pure and simple, is the vast gulf between the value given to the player, and the value the AI expects to receive. The reason a 'value' exists is to give some idea of what a player is worth on the open market. If the value indicates nothing, then there is an issue.

Value is a guideline, and it works for me. But, again, if you chase after a teams -key- player and they -need- that player you have to expect them to value the player more then the overall market does.

If I have a guy valued at 10M on my team and with out him my team will suffer then I'm damn sure going to charge 50M for him. Because I want to keep him, but if someone pays me that much I'll still be happy.

Otamendi is some peoples eyes is a great young CB, I have a CB in my team called Toprak I would not sell him for £50 million. If Otamendi has huge potential and they want to keep him this is their way of telling you they do not want to sell. Pique usually has a release clause which is not far off what you bid unless he has renewed his contract.

It works both way in the transfer market, Juventus enquired about my striker Neymar so I told them I wanted £200 million.

Fine then the reason for what you call stupid transfer AI is this...

I have a striker on my team that gets over 1 goal -AND- 1 assist per game. The man is golden for me but I know he's going to attract attention and people will want to move him. However unless I have some really solid backup for him I'm not going to want to give him up but at the same time my team could use some money. So I'm not going to give him to any team for his list price, I'm going to ask something way over the top or just flat decline offers. If someone actually pays me the ultra high price, great! Cash in the bank and plenty to go find someone else to fill his shoes. If everyone thinks I'm crazy for asking so much, like the OP, that's just as good because I get to keep the player that is helping my dominate the league, selling massive shirts, and packing my stadium.

Get the point now?

Myself, I know if I'm going after a key member of a team I'm going to have to pay out the #$^ for it, it's common sense. If they want more then you are willing to give for the guy, oh well, go find someone else. It's really not that hard.

Actually you seem to be the one who doesn't get the point. I totally understand what you're saying about your player. I had several players who were simply amazing and therefor I would not sell them for anything. Even if I did need the money I probably wouldn't sell them because having those players in my team means trophies.

Now, just a few days ago, I bought a a regen gk, a wonderkid that just spawned so he wasn't a key player to the team. He was worth something like 3million and I had to pay 30. Now, the question is not if I should have spent that money or not, the question is, is it realistic? absolutely not. 30 million for a 18 year old gk who just spawned? No matter how much potential he has, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Also, there was this 23 year old cm that I wanted to buy and he was worth 6million. The club would only sell it to me for 75 million.

People seem to use the same arguments over and over again. Yes, Barcelona probably wouldn't sell messi no matter the offer but not every freaking player in fm is messi! Plus I just gave two examples of good/promising players whose clubs demanded insanely high offers.

75 million for a player worth 6 million is like Barcelona asking for 1 Billion for messi.

Also, there was this 23 year old cm that I wanted to buy and he was worth 6million. The club would only sell it to me for 75 million.

Its realistic. Teams refuse to sell their key players unless they get theese huge amounts of money IRL aswell.

I tried a little experiment after reading this thread, and my biggest problem is the discrepancy between what the AI will accept, and what players are forced to accept. Here's my example.

I found a good regen CM from Atletico Madrid, a club that in my game are in a bit of financial trouble (I'm in 2030), he was valued at £5m. I bid £10m, they asked for £52m. So I upped my offer to £20m, they asked for £52m. I offered a final offer of £27.5m, they rejected it. Now for a club in trouble, that is ridiculous. So, I saved my game, and added a manager of Atletico, just to see what would happen when I bid the same again, £27.5m. When there was a human manager in charge, the chairman accepted the offer over my head, but when it was an AI manager, they rejected. How does that make sense? And really, would a club in financial trouble turn down that amount of money for a young 18 year old who was only a rotational player?

(Btw, I did not sign the player, I reloaded the game to before I added the manager and ended up signing someone else. The regen then went to Juventus for, wait for it, £19.5m)

So my real problem is that the AI will not accept realistic values from human managers, but will from other AI controlled clubs, and second, that a clubs financial position does not seem to have enough of a bearing on whether they will accept the money.

Actually you seem to be the one who doesn't get the point. I totally understand what you're saying about your player. I had several players who were simply amazing and therefor I would not sell them for anything. Even if I did need the money I probably wouldn't sell them because having those players in my team means trophies.

Now, just a few days ago, I bought a a regen gk, a wonderkid that just spawned so he wasn't a key player to the team. He was worth something like 3million and I had to pay 30. Now, the question is not if I should have spent that money or not, the question is, is it realistic? absolutely not. 30 million for a 18 year old gk who just spawned? No matter how much potential he has, that's absolutely ridiculous.

People seem to use the same arguments over and over again. Yes, Barcelona probably wouldn't sell messi no matter the offer but not every freaking player in fm is messi! Plus I just gave two examples of good/promising players whose clubs demanded insanely high offers.

75 million for a player worth 6 million is like Barcelona asking for 1 Billion for messi.

I agree with what Martyr1777 said, and it's you who seem to miss some of the point. I'm not saying you're missing it completely, just a part of it.

You understand that having top players is partly the key to success. However, you don't seem to understand the part of actual investment. Let's just look at a couple real life examples, Wayne Rooney and Pato. What did Man Utd pay for Rooney and how old was he at the time? Why do you think Man Utd were willing to pay that much for such a young player? Same goes for Pato. How much did Milan shell out for him and why? He was also very young, just like Rooney. Why spend so much money on someone like that? The answer is investment into potential future return. I'm not referring to just financial returns, but everything that comes with having a world class player at a club. The clubs in these instances were smart enough (good scouting) to make an accurate prediction on these players and clearly determined that large amounts of money they were going to spend would be worth it in the long run, because the benefits outweighed the risks.

Lets go back to the wonderkid GK you found. Yeah, his club wants 30 mil for him. Basically the same amount Man Utd paid for Rooney at the same age. The other club knows that they have a real gem on their hands, just like Everton knew about Rooney. However, you, as the club trying to buy, need to think long term. Yeah it's 30 mil, but you'll basically have an amazing keeper for the next 16 or 17 years, at least. In that time, that player, will contribute so much to your trophy winning campaigns that he will more than likely repay his 30 million price tag and will actually make you money on top of it.

I agree with what Martyr1777 said, and it's you who seem to miss some of the point. I'm not saying you're missing it completely, just a part of it.

You understand that having top players is partly the key to success. However, you don't seem to understand the part of actual investment. Let's just look at a couple real life examples, Wayne Rooney and Pato. What did Man Utd pay for Rooney and how old was he at the time? Why do you think Man Utd were willing to pay that much for such a young player? Same goes for Pato. How much did Milan shell out for him and why? He was also very young, just like Rooney. Why spend so much money on someone like that? The answer is investment into potential future return. I'm not referring to just financial returns, but everything that comes with having a world class player at a club. The clubs in these instances were smart enough (good scouting) to make an accurate prediction on these players and clearly determined that large amounts of money they were going to spend would be worth it in the long run, because the benefits outweighed the risks.

Lets go back to the wonderkid GK you found. Yeah, his club wants 30 mil for him. Basically the same amount Man Utd paid for Rooney at the same age. The other club knows that they have a real gem on their hands, just like Everton knew about Rooney. However, you, as the club trying to buy, need to think long term. Yeah it's 30 mil, but you'll basically have an amazing keeper for the next 16 or 17 years, at least. In that time, that player, will contribute so much to your trophy winning campaigns that he will more than likely repay his 30 million price tag and will actually make you money on top of it.

Rooney and Pato had been showing A LOT of potential for quite some time. The gk just spawned man!

Its realistic. Teams refuse to sell their key players unless they get theese huge amounts of money IRL aswell.

Have you ever seen a club in real life rejecting an offer of 75 millions? how many times has that happened in football history? 3, 4? Cristiano ROnaldo was sold for 80 million ffs.

what was Otamendi's release clause at Sevilla?

His release Clause is £71m but that bonker to pay for Defence! I never heard in world football pay that Sort of moneys for Defence in either £71m or £92m!

I do know Attacking player that been Sold for £58m and £80m which are Kaka and Ronaldo! :)

This is a difficult area of the game mechanics to pin down I think, which makes me hesitant to join in.

So here we go...

The key with most moves is the player; if Javier Mascherano is a happy boy at Liverpool then he does not get transferred for 17m, the fee (if any) would have been determined by the selling club and not the buying club, as was the case here due to an unsettled player...and i think we can all agree that Liverpool would have kept Mascherano.

Fernando Torres IS a happy boy at Liverpool and so this club can refuse to consider any bid they consider below their own valuation (which, according to reports, they did this summer in the face of a 50m bid from Chelsea).

Unsettling the player would be a wise approach for a world class player whose own fee you consider too high. This would, of course, all come down to your club's and your own reputations, as not many (neutral)players in world football would turn down clubs such as Barcelona, Manchester United, Real Madrid etc.

What the game might not handle correctly is the progressively higher transfer fees as the years pass by. An example of this would be Zidane moving to Madrid for 46m in 2001 compared to C.Ronaldo moving to Madrid for 80m in 2009. In the game i am not sure this progressive percentage increase is accurately mirrored over the same time period. Happy to be proved wrong though.

It might be an idea to remove the market value of those players NOT transfer listed as, in most cases, they fail to represent the true value of that player. Instead showing the clubs asking price in its place, currently this is not displayed on the Player Search screen.

Yes its a joke, if you want a player, you can often pay 10 times the price even if the player wants to leave, if the ai wants your player, they will repeatedly offer 5% over the valuation of your player.

FM players asking price is way, way over the real life asking price. Eg Milner is about £18m and in FM, it would probably be £50+m

The fact is the people that have the problems with the transfer market in FM10 are those that put no effort in prior to the transfer and then expect to walk into any club to buy a player for face value.

They target important players for the selling club who are often on long contracts and happy where they are.

In RL a lot of big transfers are planned out well in advance of a transfer window with the buying club making it known they are interested in a player (upto six months prior), they gauge reaction from both the player & the selling club before deciding whether they think they'll be able to sign the player and to proceed further.

If there is no interest from the player and the selling club don't look like they want to sell the buying club moves onto other targets before an official offer is even made.

The answer is interact with the players you want to sign, talk with the selling clubs and negotiate. Finally if the price is still too high you need to accept that you can't buy any player you want and move on.

PS

The highest I've ever paid for a player on FM10 is £21.5m and I consider that a little on the high side for the player I got.

I can see where people are coming from with the argument that "they don't want to sell their best players" but sometimes, I feel, it gets ridiculous. When I want to sell my best player - or am willing to when offers start flooding in - I get offers matching the valuation or only just slightly over. I asked for only slightly more and then their interest disappears. Yet if I want to buy an AI player they want over double the valuation. It gets ridiculously frustrating after a while I must admit!

The reason it seems highly unrealistic is because it is, but for both clubs involved in the transfer. Real life managers will not make bids that they are not willing to pay, they will have a limit in mind and try to stick to it. This isn't the way a lot of people think when they are playing FM, people will often make bids that they are not willing to pay 'just to see what happens', this is when it becomes unrealistic.

This might be worth keeping in mind next time you are bidding for a player who the club really doesn't want to sell. Have a figure in mind before you start and then stop bidding when the club rejects this offer, this is when you should be giving up and looking elsewhere. By going beyond what you are actually willing to pay it is you who is creating the unrealistic situation.

I can see where people are coming from with the argument that "they don't want to sell their best players" but sometimes, I feel, it gets ridiculous. When I want to sell my best player - or am willing to when offers start flooding in - I get offers matching the valuation or only just slightly over. I asked for only slightly more and then their interest disappears. Yet if I want to buy an AI player they want over double the valuation. It gets ridiculously frustrating after a while I must admit!

Set asking prices for your players, make them about 33%-50% higher than what you are willing to accept.

When clubs do become interested in your players they will then be interested despite your asking price and more willing to bid higher to get the player.

Basically it will stop a load of clubs bidding at less than you are willing to sell for.

M players asking price is way, way over the real life asking price. Eg Milner is about £18m and in FM, it would probably be £50+m

I agree :(

I just hope FM 2011 sort out the Tranfer system price between me and Computer AI....instead of having having pay 10 or 20 times more!!

I love these threads cause everyone is right to one degree or another.

Firstly I think that the aspect of a club asking ridiculous sums of cash for a player they consider "indispensable" is fairly accurate. Man Utd were originally asking for over £100m for Ronaldo the summer before he left, Man City had to offer a ridiculous (can't remember if it was 60m or 80m) the summer before he went to R.Madrid - so it happens. For me I think the element that is lacking is that its not about the first bid, or the first enquiry its the eventual negotiation. Real's pursuit of Ronaldo led to tons of media speculation and you get the impression that eventually Ronaldo told Man Utd he wanted to go; this then in turn meant that Utd's "valuation" of him lessened. He was still a world class player so they got as much as they could for him.

That brings it to the second point. Ronaldo was when he transferred the best player in the world; Messi now is and all the posts that use him as an example seem fair. Barcelona wouldn't entertain any bid for him. A'la Ronaldo though if he started intimating that he wanted to go then they would have a figure in mind.

Thirdly as a lot of people have mentioned - very few players in the world are these two. 75m for a centre back? that is unrealistic in anyone's language. Not to ask for it, no that for me is fine but if a club bid 40m for this player the club would have to consider it - at the very least the chairman would step in (to the annoyance or acceptance of the manager.) Lets face it as managers we'd be annoyed at our chaiman but I think deep down we'd accept the realism. There are very few clubs in the world who could turn down that sort of bid for a player.

Fourth with regards to young players. Yes Rooney and Pato were sold for ALOT of money - 30m for Rooney and 18m for Pato. Both were (relatively) inexperienced however BOTH were internationals when they left. In addition neither left for the total of that cash; in the same way as Walcott, Ramsey, Bale and (being negotiated) neymar there was a decent sum (16-17m for Rooney I believe) up front and then more over time. Now for me this is realistic which leads to the final point

Clubs do not pay the entire thing upfront any more. I know the game has the ability to use structured deals but for me this is where the system does fail:

You enquire about a player - they tell you 60m (perhaps after a lot of asking or very little.) Currently if you offer that on a structured deal they come back with a different offer far exceeding it which IMO is wrong. If in the example the guy raised about the 30m gk he'd offered say 10-15 up front plus another 15m over time based on appearances and successes this would be pretty accurate but my guess is he had to pay the 30m as a cash payment (either lump sum or over time.)

For me this is the tweak that is needed. a) There needs to be more clauses (so x after 10, 20, 30 games, goals, int appearances etc) rather than just the one of each, b) there need to be NEW clauses such as league titles, european successes, avoiding relegation etc (the first two were written into Rooney's if Sky Sports was to be believed) rather than just "promotion" as an option. Finally the issue about clubs coming back with increased demands if you offer in a structured needs to be addresses. Fine if you came back with something stupid like 2m up front and 78m over time but if they negotiate the structure it shouldn't be for more than they originally asked for.

In that scenario the club can charge you 80m for a player but realistically you're paying 30-40m which most (I think) would classify as realistic!

Just one addition. Perhaps as a development of this there could be increased negotiation between manager and chairman? Say you get asked about a player you consider a key element of your team so you go back with 80m as the price; they come back with somewhere closer to 50m for a player valued at 15m. Wouldn't the chairman realistically talk to you about it? i.e. they encourage you to consider it, you tell them (internally) a value below which you wouldn't accept (say 60m) and that you'd want 40m min of that to re-invest. Depending on your relationship and the chairman themselves they may choose to let you continue rejecting the offers or step in (especially if it goes above the threshold!)

If the chairman accepts a "value" then perhaps there could be more negotiation between the clubs. I.e. the chairman steps in an accepts a value of 55m for this player then there probably should be discussions about the shape of it i.e. x now, y over certain number of months, z based on clauses. A final negotiation should then happen between you and your chairman about how much you get to re-invest

For those who dont think it is broken, how many real life players would you say are worth £80m? 3-5?

GO into FMRTE or FMScout and check how many players asking price is over £80m, I bet its way, way more.

An £80m price tag is basically saying that the player is not for sale, it doesn't mean the club are actually looking to sell him for £80m.

For those who dont think it is broken, how many real life players would you say are worth £80m? 3-5?

GO into FMRTE or FMScout and check how many players asking price is over £80m, I bet its way, way more.

The asking price you see isn't the price that you sell or buy for, its simply the highest starting point for negotiations.

For the record all my first team squad have asking prices of £50m+ whereas I would seriously consider selling most of them for bids over £20m.

The asking price you see isn't the price that you sell or buy for, its simply the highest starting point for negotiations.

For the record all my first team squad have asking prices of £50m+ whereas I would seriously consider selling most of them for bids over £20m.

Do opposition clubs get scared off by that asking price? Or do they still offer around £25m for your players if they're interested?

Do opposition clubs get scared off by that asking price? Or do they still offer around £25m for your players if they're interested?

I find it depends on how high you set it. If you go too high, they will just offer what they think is acceptable but if your asking price is sensibly set you can get much better offers for your players. Saying that though, setting it really high does bring out monster bids on very rare occaisions.

I find it depends on how high you set it. If you go too high, they will just offer what they think is acceptable but if your asking price is sensibly set you can get much better offers for your players. Saying that though, setting it really high does bring out monster bids on very rare occaisions.

Ahh ok, cool. I'm trying to work it out, because I never play as big teams (the biggest I play is my favourite team Birmingham) and I don't play very much, so I'm looking for advice to get better to play for longer! Ok, that's cool :) thanks!

The way I see it, everyone has their price IRL. So while it's OK that clubs don't want to sell their best players, they should still most of the time accept a reasonable offer. People say "well you wouldn't sell your best players for xx million either". And why is that? Because there is nothing I can do with that money if I'm going to be quoted three times more by the AI for a similar player of another club!

I can understand TOP clubs wanting big money for their star players, but when a mid size club won't settle for anything less than 60m for their good, but not world class right back then something is wrong. The only thing that makes the transfer system in FM even remotely realistic are the Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka transfers that were more an exception than anything. They were both established players at the biggest stage, Ballon d'Or winners and they transferred from one huge club to another. Basically, the only 35+ million transfers that happen IRL are those for one of the best, if not the best players in the world playing for a big club. In FM, way too many half decent players will cost you that, and more.

It scares a lot off and they move onto other targets meaning very few of my players actually get unsettled by speculation.

I receive very few firm offers and those that do make are prepared to pay £20m+ for the player.

In the last transfer window for example I only received one offer of £15m for a 23yo rotation DM. It was a tough decision for me as he was a "trained at club" player and I'm a bit short of those. After scanning potential replacements I decided to reject as it would have cost me around £8m-10m to get in an alternative and then there is no guarantee he would settle in.

Two other players got a little unsettled by speculation but once the season got underway they were fine.

Don't know how people are trying to defend the ridiculous transfer amounts. It's unreasonable and seriously if you ask Pep now, he'd sell Pique easy for 40 million Euros.

Needs to be looked at. Wonderful, fantastic and great game just not perfect. Noone saying it has to be either. Just saying is definately one the things that annoy me the most in the game.

I can understand TOP clubs wanting big money for their star players, but when a mid size club won't settle for anything less than 60m for their good, but not world class right back then something is wrong. The only thing that makes the transfer system in FM even remotely realistic are the Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka transfers that were more an exception than anything. They were both established players at the biggest stage, Ballon d'Or winners and they transferred from one huge club to another. Basically, the only 35+ million transfers that happen IRL are those for one of the best, if not the best players in the world playing for a big club. In FM, way too many half decent players will cost you that, and more.

The bit in bold is absolute rubbish and they will settle for far less you just need to put some effort in.

Maybe, but who would offer them that?

But isn't that the point? Like we (managers in FM10) do offer 40million Euros for him and well basically I think he should accept. Dafuge you've obvoiusly played the game alot more than I have so I would like to know what you think of this situation.

But isn't that the point? Like we (managers in FM10) do offer 40million Euros for him and well basically I think he should accept. Dafuge you've obvoiusly played the game alot more than I have so I would like to know what you think of this situation.

I think you've got two sides to this coin. On one hand you've got clubs that are unrealistically turning down huge bids, on the other hand you've got the human manager who is making them. Remove one problem and the other disappears instantly.

I'm not saying that people should not make huge unrealistic bids if they want to, I just don't think it is fair to comment on the realism of the transfer market while you're doing it.

I think you've got two sides to this coin. On one hand you've got clubs that are unrealistically turning down huge bids, on the other hand you've got the human manager who is making them. Remove one problem and the other disappears instantly.

I'm not saying that people should not make huge unrealistic bids if they want to, I just don't think it is fair to comment on the realism of the transfer market while you're doing it.

I'd say 40million for Pique isn't THAT unrealisitic. Good point though. I don't have enough argumentative skills to make a good point neither do I have the solution to this problem. It'll obvoiusly get better and better so I'm pretty happy that FM11 will be out soon. (Well not soon...)

I'd say 40million for Pique isn't THAT unrealisitic.

It would be roughly in line with the World record transfer for a defender though, which for Pique is pushing it a bit when you think about it. I think the reason Pep would accept that is because he just isn't worth it, meaning it is unlikely anyone would ever bid that.

Common sense wording is the answer for me....

A few versions ago, FM had a system where if a player was a key player and not for sale, the answer would come back having made a bid, "<Player> is not for sale at any price". This was re-written to reflect the fact that all players have a price, by the selling club asking for absurd money for the player, i.e. the above examples. I (and I'm sure others) have no problem with this as a system. But the deal itself would never reach 6x, or 8x, or 10x the player's value.

Take Milner's recent sale for example. Aston Villa were steadfastly holding out for £30m, refusing to take a penny less. City eventually, after a few lower offers on which Villa refused to budge, offered (and this differs depending on where you read it) somewhere between £20m and £26m, plus Steven Ireland, and the deal was done. In-game, this would never happen. The club saying "we want £30m", when met with an offer of £24m(ish) plus a £6-8m rated player, would come back asking for £42m upfront without the player. Continental (ie international, top-division key players) are the players in real life who go for £20m+. In-game this includes key players from bottom of the league sides. Another case in point, Kenwyne Jones, Sunderland to Stoke, £8m. Try buying him in-game and watch Sunderland ask for £20m+. So as pointed out by an earlier post, the current value displayed is not indicative of what you need to pay. When can anyone honestly say you got a player for his exactly CURRENT value? So what's the point of that value being there? So, my proposal for FM11/12, whenever it comes in, is...

Asking prices are only shown on players on the transfer list. The rest are hidden (like the current PA/CA or sale value). This option could be turned on/off like the attribute masking depending on each person playing the game's preference. The game (depending on your scouts) could "guess" the value of players so you could sort the search list into value 'brackets', ie centre backs available for (ie the clubs would accept) £5-10m. If your scouts were better, this would be more accurate. Or, sorted by the hidden 'current reputation' which you can see in the editor/Genie etc. The Messis/Ronaldos of the world would automatically be at the top of the list because they have the highest reputation, they are worldwide stars. You get a scout report on £35m-rated Ronaldo and your scout says "Real Madrid are unlikely to want to sell Ronaldo, however a bid of between £110m and £130m might persuade them to negotiate." The same for £5m-rated Kenwyne Jones - your scout says "Jones is a key player at Sunderland who will not want to sell him, but they are in need of money so a bid of between £7m and £12m may be enough to agree a fee." This is SO much more realistic. The better your scouts, the more accurate the valuation. A top class scout may say Sunderland would accept between £8m and £10m, narrowing the bracket you may need to pay and giving a better idea of what the club might ask for. But then if the structure of the deal (upfront cash/staggered payments etc) wasn't right for the selling club, instead of coming back by doubling the asking price, the game would say, Sunderland want to receive the cash upfront and are not interested in a structured deal.

Thoughts?

It's better then it used to be, but it's still very annoying. I'm in favor of, when a club doesn't want to sell, they will say that he is not for sale. As we would say. Asking silly money is the equivalent to a player worth 5M and they ask for 75M, not 25M as they usually do...

I just hope that, with the addition of the agents in the game, it will be easier to talk to the player first (in order for the player to do some pressure to the club, as they do in real life). Because sometimes we don't want to sell no one at all, not even the backups - but a backup might want a new challenge, or a higher pay, so if we reject them, they never know what they might get.

Archived